E1L or L1 ?

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently picked up an LX2. It's OK. I'm not very excited about the beam. It's a bit "ringy", which is apparently the norm for this light. Not bad for outdoors use, which is what I'll probably relegate it to. The throw is nice. I'm tempted to wait for the LX1, but it's probably going to have the same ringy beam. I've had an L1 and an E1B. Both had perfect beams. I should have kept the L1. Now I'm thinking I need to get another one, but I've been reading some posts that suggest the E1L might be better. So I guess I'm trying to clear a few things up about the E1L.

1. Some people seem to have E1L's that are not only as bright, but brighter than their L1's. Is this common?

2. Will the E1L accept an RCR? And if so will it run OK with it?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

Muddquez

Newly Enlightened
I don't think the KX1 head will run on a RCR
The KX2 head will run on a RCR and it will be brighter than the L1
I've carried a KX2 head on a McClicky Pack for a while and its a great Combo.

chef4850

Enlightened
I have a few of each light and I always go back to the L1.

None of my E1L's are as bright as the L1's but pretty close.

I do however perfer the L1 overall for the beam, brightness, build, how it feel in my hand is a big factor to.

The E1L is just a little too small to be comfortable but is a great EDC light.

I also have a F04 on it to and the beam is a great usable amount of light even on low and that is the level that I use most.

Chef

computernut

Enlightened
I have an E2L, E2DL, and an L1. The L1 gets the most use of the 3. Good size, nice beam, easily change between modes without having to click again. The low on the E2L and E2DL are greenish while the L1 is still nice. I think it's a tint lottery thing and how the TIR and sensor get lined up during assembly that affects the beam quality.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like the L1 is still the leader. I do prefer it's UI and the size of the E1L is a bit small, assuming it's just like the E1B. Going Gear doesn't carry the L1, which is weird. I wonder if Surefire has stopped production?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I must be one of the only ones who prefers the size of the E1L, and it's one of my bigger lights. For me, the more compact a light is, the better.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like small lights too. My edc is either a Peak Eiger or a Peak El Cap with a pocket body, or both. But for when I know I'll need a light, something a bit bigger and easier to handle like the L1 or HDS is what I'll carry too. As much as I like the HDS, there's just something about the UI and throw of the Surefire that appeals to me.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want the E1L for the much longer run time but I do prefer the UI of the L1 more.

You mentioned about the beam quality of the LX2. If what you disliked are the ringy side spill, then I am quite certain you would get the same quality with the E1L and L1. My E1B has the same ringy side spill as the LX2.

Xacto

Enlightened
Since I like the Dualstage Tailcap on my Kroma milspec, I too decided that the L1 will be my first Non-P60 Surefire. Too bad that switchtyp isn't more widespread among the SF lights.

Cheers
Thorsten

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
"You mentioned about the beam quality of the LX2. If what you disliked are the ringy side spill, then I am quite certain you would get the same quality with the E1L and L1. My E1B has the same ringy side spill as the LX2. "

As I said, I've had both an L1, E2L, and an E1B, and none of them had any rings.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's strange. I previously owned an L1 and it too has the ringy side spill. Played with an E2L in the shop and noticed the ringy beam. Haven't seen one TIR light without it. That's why I thought it is normal.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm. The LX2 is the only one I've owned that did have any rings. Maybe I've just been really lucky, or you've been really unlucky. :)

billbunton

Newly Enlightened
My E1L is ringy too, though not nearly as noticeable (due to less light) as my LX2.

LumensMaximus

Enlightened
I must be one of the only ones who prefers the size of the E1L, and it's one of my bigger lights. For me, the more compact a light is, the better.

+1, I sold a new and mint L1, probably would still have it though if it was a clicky. Can't believe they don't offer the option...:shrug: