Eagtac D25LC2/3400mAh 18650 question

KQL

Newly Enlightened
I just received my new D25LC2 with the Nichia 219/B11 emitter and popped my Eagtac 3400mAh 18650 into it. Everything seemed to work fine at first when I was playing with it, then I set it down. A few minutes later I noticed the light was ON all by itself. After some additional handling, I figured out that if I tighten the head to what I would call "very snug", the light stays on in Turbo all the time (pressing the clicky does nothing). To avoid this, I have to somewhat carefully tighten the head to "just snug". Then it seems to work fine (the switch turns the light ON and OFF). I can get the light to turn on without pressing the switch by slightly compressing the head toward the body in this "snug" configuration. The 3400mAh might just be the limit of what this model can accommodate, length-wise. I do not have any lower capacity 18650s to try it with.

So, is this unique to this light/battery combination or do I have a defective light? Other D25LC2 owners, can you turn the light on by tightening the head down without pressing the switch?

KQL

Newly Enlightened
I just tested it with 2xcr123 in the provided magazine tube and I cannot activate the light by simply tightening the head down. It appears to be tied to my 3400mAh 18650.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
So it works exactly as advertised with 2xCR123? How did it work with the head loose and the Eagletac 3400?

KQL

Newly Enlightened
So it works exactly as advertised with 2xCR123? How did it work with the head loose and the Eagletac 3400?
With the head loosened, it works fine. All the modes are present.

Another odd thing: the manual indicates I can reverse the battery tube to reverse the orientation of the pocket clip. When I do this, I cannot tighten the head lightly enough to keep it from being in the "always on mode". ie, the head-loosened modes work fine, but with the head-tightened (even as lightly as I can) the light is always on.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something is not right with this situation. I would contact your dealer and explain to them what is going on. I think the 3400 Eagletac battery is the same length as the 3100 and I have not had any problems with the Eagletac 3100 batteries in any of my Eagletac lights including the D25LC2 that I had a while back. Your dealer will help you out, especially if you got it from IlluminationGear. I suspect you did since they are the only dealer I am aware of with the D25LC2 and the Nichia 219 hi CRI emitter. I have bought a lot of Eagletac lights through them and I have had all good experiences.

Onthelightside

Enlightened
I had an eagletac rcr123 that had the protection circuit wire protruding a bit more than usual and did not work properly in my eagletac DC25C. Tight modes worked but loosened did not. Going gear sent me a replacement battery for free. Awesome CS.

justanotherguy

Enlightened
unrelated brand of light and battery......but..........
I have keeppowers and I used one in a shiningbeam light...and it was on by itself....it turned out to be as noted above, a protruding edge of a tab going to the protection circuit grounding against the ID of the tube.
That made it go by itself....I got sick of singling out that cell, so I used a piece of scotch tape to insulate it....
so far so good
Tony

hatman

Enlightened
I just got the exact same combination of Nichia D25LC2 and EagleTac 3400.

Works fine.

Tried adjusting it to make it malfunction.

It won't. So far anyway.

I have the same light in neutral -- both this year's and last year's neutral. Love the size, weight and output of the D25LC2s.

As nice as the tint and beam are on the neutrals, the Nichia's is nicer still. Just with visibly less output (to my eyes.)

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
unrelated brand of light and battery......but..........
I have keeppowers and I used one in a shiningbeam light...and it was on by itself....it turned out to be as noted above, a protruding edge of a tab going to the protection circuit grounding against the ID of the tube.
That made it go by itself....I got sick of singling out that cell, so I used a piece of scotch tape to insulate it....
so far so good
Tony

That is a possibility I didn't think of. It is good to know you figured it out :)

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got the exact same combination of Nichia D25LC2 and EagleTac 3400.

Works fine.

Tried adjusting it to make it malfunction.

It won't. So far anyway.

I have the same light in neutral -- both this year's and last year's neutral. Love the size, weight and output of the D25LC2s.

As nice as the tint and beam are on the neutrals, the Nichia's is nicer still. Just with visibly less output (to my eyes.)

Yes, the size, weight, brightness, etc. of the D25CL2 is exceptional. The only reason I sold mine was because the low mode was just way too bright for me. If it would have had a true moon-mode such as the Thrunite Neutron with .09 lumens it would have been the perfect light for me. I really liked it except for that problem. That is actually my one complaint with my Eagletac lights is that the lowest modes aren't low enough for me. Even the so called moon-mode on the D25A is in my opinion a general purpose low. It is an order of magnitude brighter than my Neutron's moon-mode. Moonlight-mode rant over now :)

KQL

Newly Enlightened
I had an eagletac rcr123 that had the protection circuit wire protruding a bit more than usual and did not work properly in my eagletac DC25C. Tight modes worked but loosened did not. Going gear sent me a replacement battery for free. Awesome CS.

Thanks for the good idea. I examined the battery (it's only about a month old) and don't see anything out of place. I got it from the same vendor. I'll reach out to them and I'm sure we can work something out to do an even exchange for another sample of the same light. I might even send them the battery so they can eliminate it as a potential cause of this malfunction.

Calcustom

Newly Enlightened
I picked up the new Eagletac D25LC2 Color with a new Eagletac 3400 and it works fine.

thijsco19

Newly Enlightened
I have the normal D25lc2 with the XML and the eagletac 3400mAh.
I can't activate it by pressing hard on the tail and head, neither can I activate it with over tightening the head.

KQL

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. I have resolved the issue with my light. For anyone doing a future search these are the steps I took, not sure which one specifically fixed it, I wasn't being scientific about it.

I cleaned the threads, it appears that there was a lot of black, metallic gunk accumulated in the threads, not sure why, it was a new light.
Some of the metallic gunk had somehow made its way to the positive button top of the battery, potentially making it seem longer to the light. I cleaned out the contact within the head too. This was probably the most likely culprit.
The retaining washer inside the tail cap is pretty gnarly looking, with several burrs on the surface. I gently smoothed this surface to get rid of the burrs (hat tip to Tod at IG for this suggestion).
The clip was not centered within the notch in the battery tube, preventing the clip retaining ring from being tightened all the way (again, thanks to Tod for making me check this).

I've reassembled the light several times and it's working properly in either orientation of the battery tube.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. I have resolved the issue with my light. For anyone doing a future search these are the steps I took, not sure which one specifically fixed it, I wasn't being scientific about it.

I cleaned the threads, it appears that there was a lot of black, metallic gunk accumulated in the threads, not sure why, it was a new light.
Some of the metallic gunk had somehow made its way to the positive button top of the battery, potentially making it seem longer to the light. I cleaned out the contact within the head too. This was probably the most likely culprit.
The retaining washer inside the tail cap is pretty gnarly looking, with several burrs on the surface. I gently smoothed this surface to get rid of the burrs (hat tip to Tod at IG for this suggestion).
The clip was not centered within the notch in the battery tube, preventing the clip retaining ring from being tightened all the way (again, thanks to Tod for making me check this).

I've reassembled the light several times and it's working properly in either orientation of the battery tube.

That is good to know that you have it working properly now. I hate how bad and fast aluminum oxidizes. I have DeOxit and my bare aluminum threads still oxidize fast even when using that. That is a problem with all my lights.

markr6

Flashaholic
I just received the same light, using the same 3400mAh Eagletac battery. SAME PROBLEM :(

I took it apart and cleaned the threads. Still no luck. My first DOA product ever. Very upset!