Ebay 8 LED 1 AA UV anygood?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Re: Ebay 12 LED 1 AA UV anygood?

I received this flashlight today, and it has an impressive output for 8xLEDs and 1xAA cell.

Let's get that current consumption measured...BRB...

Looks like ~300mA.

It has a rubbery pushbutton switch on the barrel. Momentary operation is not available when the flashlight is off, but is available when the flashlight is on.

The LEDs are very slightly recessed into individual cells in the bezel. They are of the dual-bond type - probably Uniroyal in origin.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cool! Thanks for the update Craig!
So if the convertor is 80% efficient, ~ 30ma to each led?

Is Uniroyal LED's good or bad?
Does the output look at least 400nm or lower?

Thanks - IH

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Output appears to be 400nm to 402nm.
But remember, I don't yet have a working spectrometer, so this is an eyeballed value. Figure that I ought to be within +-2nm or so at these wavelengths.

Uniroyal UV LEDs are at least as good as any other 5mm UV LEDs you can buy today. No worries there.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

I received the same light Saturday, and found that it was not operational. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

45 minutes later, after inspecting, testing, and probing, I got it to light up. (The head unscrews to reveal a battery positive contact in the barrel). It was bent badly. Straightened out, the light works every time. AS Craig sez, they look like 400nm LEDs. -Super bright <font color="purple">purple</font>, not the paler light blue like the 385-and shorter wavelengths.

The output seems like a pretty strong, but large spot, and for a total of $8.00 (including delivery) I'll keep it.
I didn't think I would get the 385nm LEDs in a 99 cent (auction price) product. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Craig, cool thanks again!

vcal: Hmm. the lower wavelegths we only perceive as light blue? Didn't know that but that explains tanning bed lamps...

Does the 400nm flourece things nicely or does getting 385nm make a world of difference?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
vcal said:
I received the same light Saturday, and found that it was not operational. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
...(The head unscrews to reveal a battery positive contact in the barrel). It was bent badly. Straightened out, the light works every time.

[/ QUOTE ]
After I administered the "smack test" (as part of my routine evaluation program), the flashlight was very, very intermittent - it had pretty much stopped functioning. I soon found that unscrewing and then replacing the bezel made the flashlight work again.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Seems that the positive tab gets flattened easily and a better fix would be to perhaps solder a ball to it to make it less squishable. I bet if you droped it head first it would quit working too.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

My evaluation of it is available.
You know where to go now; we've been through this before. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
IsaacHayes said:
vcal: Hmm. the lower wavelegths we only perceive as light blue? Didn't know that but that explains tanning bed lamps...

Does the 400nm flourece things nicely or does getting 385nm make a world of difference?

[/ QUOTE ]
The shorter wavelength (385nm) UV puts out less visible light. -Hence it's pale, weak appearance.

IMO, both wavelengths make things fluoresce very strongly, but the shorter wavelength looks a little more impressive because of it's contrast between th dim visible light, and yet having a very strong effect on GITD surfaces and other dayglo surfaces as well.

The 400nm is about 10x cheaper, but my guess is that it'll have a longer operational life than the shorter wavelength ones, when driven similarly.

-What do 'ya think, Craig?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

vcal: I think that sums it up pretty good. 385nm isn't too common right now.

Craig: Could you explain it one more time? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleye11.gif hehehe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Nice review. Thanks again.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Crap, I never got around to picking up this light and the seller is no longer registred. I bet this would of been good for charging UV. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Only one now on there is that larger 12led one that costs 2x as much.

Craig, how did this compared to the Inova X5 in output? Not that it matters now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif