Eneloop shock resistance?

Peepsalot

Newly Enlightened
Not sure what's wrong with me, but the past couple days I have dropped some of my Eneloop batteries a few times onto my tile floor(from about 4-5' high). What is the likelihood that I have done some damage to them? If I remember correctly, NiMh do not like being dropped very much, but I think I also heard that eneloops are slightly more durable in this regard?
I also read that rechargeables self discharge much slower when kept cold, so I have been keeping them in the freezer. I dropped them coming straight out of the freezer, which makes me worried that the internals would be even more brittle in this state. I don't currently have any testing equipment to see the capacity of these cells. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
try not to drop them :) what else can you do, work over carpet instead of concrete.
if they were damaged, you will notice if you have one of them wizz bang chargers that tells you the numbers. they will self discharge faster if there is any small internal shorting. so when you top them off one will be WAY off from the others used the same way.

damage from hard drops can effect any of these bateries, and you dont have to be the one that does it, that clutz at the store who drops everything already did , the UPS guy played basketpackage with them before you got them, i think that is why enloopies come with that new type of continment that protects them from store employees and forklift accidents :)

i would NOT put batteries in any of MY freesers. here is why
the refrigerator freezer, cycles, the temp changes LOTS, ice cubes dry up, ice cream dies. because it autodefrosts , which sends heat around it. so its not very constant, up down up down, cant be good.

the deep freeze, which does not defrost, get to -20*F a bit to low .

then if i put them in the freezer, they have to be bagged, then most of the air removed, then out of the freezer i have to wait 2-4HOURS for them to warm back up, before removing from the bag, so they dont get water on them AND in the light.

then high up down changes in temperatures expand and contract things, even metals. and i doubt that LAB results in non-defrosting high quality freezers would have anything to do with your average persons way of doing that.

so IMO the average person cant create pitri dish results in thier home.
if they (the techs) prep them, put them in the lab freesers, with +-1* precision and then totally ignore them for 6 months, removes them warms them preps them. that is sooo unlike what a consumer would do its reduiculous.

Plus the batteries are not ready to use, unless you want wet cold cells that wont work.

Refridgerator ok, again sealed in plastic bag air removed from bag, and brought to room temps in bag before taking out of bag. because the fridge will only change about 10*F.

a perfect example, look at your poor steak that has been in there for 6mo :sick2:

Last edited: