Energizer 3 AAA headlamp is now a lot brighter

Cavelightchris

Newly Enlightened
For anyone who is a fan of the 3 AAA energizer headlamp sold almost everywhere, good news it's now a lot brighter.

I compared it to the old one and thought maybe the old one wasn't as bright since I put Eneloop rechargeables in it, and so I switched the batteries around and sure enough the new one was still way brighter even with the rechargeables in it.

I got mine at Meijer for $15, and it's red, the old model was green. The one I have is the one with 2 spot, 2 flood, and 2 red LEDs. The red LEDs were not lined up which I wasn't happy about, and so maybe I'll take it back to see if it was a manufacturing error or if they did it on purpose.

I'm going backpacking but when I get back I will upload some comparison shots.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
For anyone who is a fan of the 3 AAA energizer headlamp sold almost everywhere, good news it's now a lot brighter.

I compared it to the old one and thought maybe the old one wasn't as bright since I put Eneloop rechargeables in it, and so I switched the batteries around and sure enough the new one was still way brighter even with the rechargeables in it.

I got mine at Meijer for $15, and it's red, the old model was green. The one I have is the one with 2 spot, 2 flood, and 2 red LEDs. The red LEDs were not lined up which I wasn't happy about, and so maybe I'll take it back to see if it was a manufacturing error or if they did it on purpose.

I'm going backpacking but when I get back I will upload some comparison shots.
What is the model#, I don't want to buy the wrong one?

chiphead

Cavelightchris

Newly Enlightened
It's HDL33A2E, but after doing some research it looks like that is the same model number for the old one too.

What you want is the new 36 lumen, 6 LED one. At Walgreens.com they have a picture of the packaging where it says 36 lumen(my packaging looks different but stills says 36 lumen and 4 modes). Here is a link to that: http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/en...1198-product?V=G&ext=frgl_Google_For_the_Home

Some websites I just looked at said the old one was 12/24 lumens.

Holy crap they make a 7 LED one(45 lumens) , I want it: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00352O79U/?tag=cpf0b6-20

At the bottom you can see the 6 LED 36 lumen one.

REVIEW: Well I just went backpacking with it and it worked great. I compared it to the Tikka 2 and the new Energizer just seams brighter when you are lighting something up, like a waterfall which is what I used when comparing the headlamps. They probably do put off the same amount of light, but it's hard to compare since the Tikka 2 is all flood and the Energizer uses 2 of it's white LEDs as spot and 2 as flood.

Last edited:

Ian2381

Enlightened
I Also have the 45 lumen and its my lending headlamp to friends as it have long runtime and bright enough for Hiking/CLimbing/Camping.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed within the last year that the red and green bodies were being sold simultaneously, same specs, so I'm not sure you can determine new/old based on color. I suspect color is just a marketing variation. I purchased a 6-led Energizer to stash in the toolbox but did not consider the light good enough for that use. The "flood" was way too narrow. So I disassembled it and beadblasted the lens, results looked very professional, but still did not spread the beam enough to be a usable worklight.

Pros:
- Inexpensive
- Light tint pretty good...just a little blue of neutral, but quite good.
- Bright

Cons:
- narrow beam, basically two spots: a narrow spot and a not-quite-as-narrow spot.
- horrid UI that drags you through all the modes to get the one you want. clicky-clicky-clicky-clicky (damn, past the one I wanted, start over) clicky-clicky...
- 3xAAA, and not easy to change cells
- plastic-on-plastic vertical adjustment ratchet
- red LEDs are too spot and too brilliant for close-up low-light use.
- no output adjustment. It is what it is, no dimmer, no brighter.

See mods here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...IY-Floody-Modification-to-the-Energizer-6-LED

Last edited: