Equal or Better Than the LX2?

Xcel

Newly Enlightened
Ladies and Gents,

I've tested (don't own but have used) the LX2 and it works well for my tasks. But I'm always looking for something better. Which brings me too...

I'm looking for a light that is equal or better then the Surefire LX2. I like the high lumens and throw plus the low level with side spill. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the LX2 has a tested regulated runtime on High for ~120 minutes with two primaries. I have no idea about the Low level. Anyone have a current test? Link?

What I would like to find is the equivalent or better.
  • What has better regulated runtime with about the same amount of lumens? I'm guessing but I bet there is not much of a visible difference between 190 and 200 but a large noticeable difference between 190 and 230.
  • Can the single cell light match the power and runtime has the LX2? Such as the HDS Ra Clicky 170 Tactical / Executive?
  • How does the TK11 R2 and a two cell 4sevens light compare to the LX2 and HDS?
  • Does running rechargeables have a large effect on output and runtime?
  • Does Surefire still manufacture all their products in the USA?
Any information is appreciated.

Thank you.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The LX2 uses SureFire's two-stage push button pressure switch LockOut TailCap User Interface - I consider this fundamental to the flashlight and it should be considered when looking to see whether there is anything better rather than simply output alone.

Does Surefire still manufacture all their products in the USA?
Yes. SureFires are designed and assembled in the USA from both domestic and foreign components. They qualify as "American Made" under the Buy American Act.

Viper715

Enlightened
Reference noticeable brightness difference. You are correct that 190 to200 has no real difference. But 190-230 would apear just brighter but not substantially so.

A single cell light can match the brightness output of the LX2 but not it's runtime. The HDS lights are very nice though

Regarding the TK11 and the 4Sevens. The outputs are very comparable to the Surefire and HDS but are not as rugged. I have had minor reliability issues with Fenix and have heard minor issues with 4Sevens. HDS and Surefire I have had no problems at all. That being said the value of the 4Sevens and Fenix are very good it is a judgment call where your budget is. Regardless of how sturdy a light is always have at least 2. 1 is none and 2 is one.

Regarding Rechargeables. they can have just as good a output if not better in some cases as primaries. Although runtime is reduced. But the cost savings in rechargeable is worth it to me personally. I run RCR and then carry primaries as a backup.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
4 Sevens has a 2x123 lights with XP-G R5 emitters. They would be brighter and have the low that the LX2 has, but not the LX2 tailcap 2 stage:candle:

I would rather send my LX2 to Milky and have him put a 1.3A driver in the LX2 or have him put an XP-G R5 with a 1.4A driver. His 1.4A drivers will work with 2 cells nicely. The latter would give you 300ish real OTF lumens.

bigC

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want throw that is comparable to the LX2, be sure to get one of the Quark Turbo series, which has a larger reflector.

There is the Quark picture thread that shows the L2D bezel and the turbo bezel from Quarks Sevens. They are the same size and for more throw it is needed too.

I am saving my penies to purchase the LX1 next year of course. As soon as I get it I will have an XP-G R5 or better bin driven at 1.4~1.8A:devil:

pulstar

Enlightened
LOL, i hear lots about that Milky...Who the hell is that guy? :grin2: As far as i heard, he has to be a dedicated Surefire modder with many happy customers. Where could i get more informations about him, maybe pricing of his mods...?

(300+ otf lumens+"official" RCR support would be dream come true)

BTW, LX2 is brighter (by using a highly scientific method-ceiling bounce) than my nitecore extreme R2, rated 220 lumens. May specifications not fool you, real life usage is something completely different. For me, LX2 fells more sturdy and its anno and finnish are superb- I find it way better than any knurling on any flashlights. Lx2 is excellent all-around light, but it's not really made for dedicated close-up range usage- hotspot is too well defined. On the other hand, it's good enough for camping where some close range actions also require light. It's superb up to 150 meters(you can actually see a thing at that distance) and it's beam reaches around 300m (but at that distance there's nowhere near enough brightness to clarify anything)

Well, since you're considering buying a Surefire i'd say go for it. Once you starts thinking about them, there's no way back. You could buy some other brands, itf could satisfy you for a while, but then again, you'd start thinking about gettin' a Surefire. (it happened to me) You'd end up by having a pile of flashlights you wouldn't really honestly "love" :D

LX2 is by far the best choice for a surefire "newb". It's versatile, built like a tank, and if you're willing to spend a little bit more, you'll get one of the best regarded flashlights these days with superb customer support(i've already had a very nice experience with SF CS)

Gatsby

Enlightened
Well I took the plunge and picked up a Milky Creemator and it is quite a nice light. I think his Acorn driver is a slick piece of work delivering good efficiency, very good regulation and (from him) customizable interface. I understand a bit about what McGizmo says about emitters reaching the point where 3 (or 4) levels are really useful. I loved my HDS B42 but realistically I didn't need 4 levels, probably didn't need 3 although I like a low low so that made some sense but there wasn't a lot of bandwidth to find 4 really necessary/useful levels.

One limitation of the 2 stage Surefire lights is that when you can have anything from .5 lumens to 200+ lumens that leaves a pretty wide amount of bandwidth available if you only can pick two points on that spectrum. I really like my E1L and to Surefires credit the levels are well chosen for utility and runtime, but the low isn't as low as I often use on my Novatac and the high could be a bit higher (it doesn't come close to pushing the limits of the emitter). The lows are even higher on the LX2 and E2DL. What the Milky mods do is give you Surefire build quality parts and lego capability, but really up the ante in terms of electronics and emitter choices - and that isn't even talking about the drilled out bodies and other mischief he can accomplish. You can have a really low low, two solid utility choices and full out max that are all truly differentiated - sort of have your cake and eat it too...

But none of this, either in a Novatac or Milky mod, comes with the L1/L2/LX2 push/twist UI, which by its nature is pretty much limited to two levels. I don't mind a clickie so this limitation isn't a huge deal for me (although I see the appeal, it is very intuitive and you don't have to cycle or toggle between levels). For me it is a small price to pay for greater flexibility but for many two well chosen levels is sufficient, either as they stand or in the context of a collection that includes smaller, lower powered lights for those purposes.

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just so you know Milkyspit (Scott) does work on L1/L2's and I'm assuming LX2's. I have a Milky modded L1 that's great. I'm a police officer and carry a Milky modded SF KL1 (2 stage hi/low on a E2e body/tailcap) as a back up light. PS I'm a very happy Milkyspit customer and I will send more lights to Scott to mod for me.

Last edited:

Gatsby

Enlightened
Just so you know Milkyspit (Scott) does work on L1/L2's and I'm assuming LX2's. I have a Milky modded L1 that's great.

My bad - I was thinking of lights using the Acorn driver which needs a clickie interface. I neglected the driver/emitter upgrades he does for L1/L2 series lights ...

Xcel

Newly Enlightened
How does the HDS 170lumen single-cell lights compare to the LX2?

sonrider657

Newly Enlightened
The Malkoff MD2 with Hi-Lo and the Elzetta with Hi-Lo offer as good or better performance.

Xcel

Newly Enlightened
Bump. A search and it seems no one has posted beam shots, lumen measurements, or runtime tests for the HDS 170.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Besides the two stage tail cap which gives the LX2 its unique attributes, the optics should also not be over looked. In my opinion if you are looking for near perfect use of the photons at distances from 10 to 70 yards the LX2 and E2DL just can't be beat. While some lights might provide better beams at very close distances and some may be better for long throw, most of what I call the usefull distances are covered efficiently with Surefires optics. So it really boils down to what your very specific needs are.

Bill

Last edited: