• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Exotic Coating Service

Royal Oak

Newly Enlightened
Data Spy 007-DLC please.

Thanks!

Steve

modamag already said NO GO on a SPY job...but then I think it is pending a Data disassembly job...it would be great to get this done..

;-)

Last edited:

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this as stripped as you need? I can remove the anodizing and polish them if needed.
DSCF22001Small.jpg

I opted to strip the lights on my own. I'll polish them tomorrow.
DSCF2208mSmall.jpg

Last edited:

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would Al-Ti-N be ok for a ti McClicky pak and ti bezel (small edc rate?)? Any chance you could do just the screws on my favorite knife? Will you take money order?

Last edited:

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm interested in getting my Ti Quark AA AlTiN coated when it arrives, but since I am not a modder I don't want to get my hands in any part of the process. So, would it be possible for you not not only disassemble the light but also reassemble it or get it ready to be reassembled (clean contacts etc)? If so, for how much? Thanks.

Also, your pricing chart isn't showing up...

koopa

Newly Enlightened
Also : does DLC give a glossy almost-black color or the "oily" look I see on the chipped coating shown in post? I don't like the uneven oily look...

Agreed, I am quite sold on the Draco black colour, but not on the oily black look, could you give us an idea of the range the colour will fall between? Also, what will be the difference in characteristics between DLC and AlTiN, I have been looking here for info but don't know which precise coatings we're using:

http://www.richterprecision.com/coating-technical-data.html
http://www.richterprecision.com/dlc-coatings.html

Cheers! lovecpf

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed, I am quite sold on the Draco black colour, but not on the oily black look, could you give us an idea of the range the colour will fall between? Also, what will be the difference in characteristics between DLC and AlTiN, I have been looking here for info but don't know which precise coatings we're using:

http://www.richterprecision.com/coating-technical-data.html
http://www.richterprecision.com/dlc-coatings.html

Cheers! lovecpf
+1 would also like to know if the DLC is going to be even color if yes may add a couple of lights to order.

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
nfetterly: Your collection of toys is an easy trade for the A4
Rommul: Sorry, SS anodization is not part of this run.
Drywolf: Welcome, please indicate the finish
sunspot: Sure strip & polish by yourself if you choose It actually looks really good.
RyanA: NP on the screws, probably small EDC rate on all. MO is OK.
I came to the light...: I have never seen a Quark before, so I can not promise whether I can disassemble it. All I can promise is that "I will try my best". Thanks for the notication of the missing pic of pricing.
koopa: Very good information on the different coating
Here are the equivalent coating
TiN = Titankote™ C
TiCN = Titankote™ C5B
AlTiN = Titankote™ C6
DLC = Titankote™ C10

The color on the website is pretty much correct if you blow the picture up.
AlTiN give you a black with slight hint of purple or gray
DLC is dark black with a copper sheen. Part of the problem with this coating is it's 1/2 as thick as AlTiN and others. To me this is important.

UnderTheWeepingMoon: No polishing for the screws

Last edited:

koopa

Newly Enlightened
Hmm well DLC is half the thickness, but it is also 2-3 times as hard, with less friction. Perhaps the thinness will assist the ductility? What is the advantage of the thicker coating?

Also if there is an advantage to a thicker coating, perhaps I can find 5 people willing to request TiAlSiCN (Titankote™ C7) which is the same hardness as AlTiN but twice the thickness again?

Sorry, really all of these coatings will be a fantastic improvement to my flashlights, I really just wish to learn about the pros/cons of each ceramic coating quality.

On a side note, it appears by leaving my Leatherman Skeletool CX in a plastic bin in the boot of my car for 6 weeks, the DLC coating has partially worn off, so perhaps you are on to something about the thinness being an issue, am happy to provide pics on request. http://www.leatherman.com/multi-tools/full-size-tools/skeletool-cx.aspx

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jonathan,

I'll be sending in my LunaSol27-C. I'll be needing a little machining done on some edges that were polished prior to my ownership. I'm still debating on the coating, but right now it's between Diamond and AlTiN.

Thanks!
Joel

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other than that one Ti McGizmo that Jonathan posted earlier, has anyone had experience with an AlTiN / Diamond coated Ti light that has been put through the paces? :popcorn:

Does it scratch and/or dent easily? I'm concerned of the coating rubbing/wearing off in high areas and the coating chipping if ever dropped.

I'm probably just too much of a perfectionist, though.....:D

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am also wanting to do my Spy007 in AlTiN or DLC, but in order to not void the lifetime warranty I was going to send it back to Data to get it disassembled and re-assembled. Although I think that Modamag could probably handle it!
Also I read that DLC is a thicker coating than AlTiN and might interfere with the threads or fittings on a light. Can anyone shed some light on this as my spy would look great in DLC!

Generally taking the light apart does void the warranty but for this I will make an exception as Jonathon knows what he is doing.

How thick is the DLC?

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDIT: Nov 9; I sent out the box today.

I'm in for a few things too:

1) deleted, I am too busy
2) deleted, I am too busy
3) I sent a 007 to be done in Ti-Nitride - 14K gold color, low friction, 80+ RC (2500-3000 Vickers). Polish as you see fit. The body, battery cap, knob, head and bezel are all 6/4 Ti.
4) I sent a 005 to be done in Bright Gold - 24K gold finish, great corrosion resistance (eg, brass or copper substrate). Polish as you see fit. The body and battery cap are 6061 with hard ano, the head and bezel are 6061 that need full polish, the knob is titanium.

Cheers
Dave

Last edited:

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in for a few things too:

1) Can the reflector on my Colossus be re-done in gold? Is this possible? It is the ultimate fire starter and this should only make it better. :tinfoil:

2) I also want the entire Colossus done in gold! Is this possible? I will take it apart if I can. I would want it full polish including smoothing down the knurl. Price does not matter.

3) Please put me down for two 007's and one Tri-V done in TiN (titanium nitride). I do not want them polished any more than is necessary for plating. Please note that these 007's are mine and not the ones owned by other people that you will be receiving.

Thanks so much for offering this service. U-da-man. :party:

Cheers
Dave
Uffff I really want to see how those turn out...

chipwillis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I can't follow this.

I would like to do one of my SPY007's if someone can disassemble for me? I'm thinking the Tin or the diamond or maybe the gold one.