Exploding Science Fair Project?

MicroE

Enlightened
We checked the experiment before the kids got on the school bus today.
Nothing happened overnight. No bending, bursting, or stretching.
The pipes are laying in the snow. The temp outside has stayed below freezing. The warmest temp. was about 28F (-2C).

Either the water has not frozen or the pipes have absorbed the pressure increase.

We will continue to observe, record, and report (just like good little 9-year old scientists!).---Marc

P.S.---We are in the New Jersey and expecting about 10 inches (25cm) of snow today.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you take something into school that looks like a pipe bomb and start talking about explosions, don't be surprised if you get a lot of close scrutiny or worse from the administration. Even if your project is safe, they may not want students inspired by your methods. Did you get this idea approved by the teacher yet? Maybe you could use something other than pipes.

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you were to apply a current through the pipe (anode/cathode) you would get an explosion! The water, through electrolysis, would break up into its components. (Hydorgen and Oxygen 1:2 ratio)

What is very interesting is the amount produced. (roughly 22.4 L of gas per mol of water (18grams))!

-tom

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I strongly suspect you trapped a little compressable air when you put it together. If there was enough, the ice's expansion would just compress said air.

Larry

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Cornkid said:
If you were to apply a current through the pipe (anode/cathode) you would get an explosion! The water, through electrolysis, would break up into its components. (Hydorgen and Oxygen 1:2 ratio)

What is very interesting is the amount produced. (roughly 22.4 L of gas per mol of water (18grams))!

-tom

[/ QUOTE ]

One problem, how do you get the current to flow though the water when it's surounded by a more condutive shell?
the anode and cathode would need to be electricaly insulated from each other, PVC pipe perhaps ? MUHHAAAAaa Ha haa *hack, cough* hmm.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Finbar

Newly Enlightened
If the pipes were filled with water by pouring - I say nothing will happen.

I think they need to be filled by being held underwater to insure they are completely filled.

If they are not filled underwater, there is a chance that air will be trapped in the pipe and that will allow the H2O to expand with no effect.

If filled underwater, I think the brass pipe should expand and make a bulge in the pipe. The steel will split near the middle of the pipe.

Of course, it depends on how thick the pipe wall diameter is constructed; and if the metal is: forged, rolled, drawn, cast, and the different impurities in the metals and the water itself.

Remove the air in the pipe.

Fin

MicroE

Enlightened
Nothing happened.
The pipes sat outside for 3 days and nights in freezing temps and NOTHING happened.
Science is boring.
I think that we are going to try this again using cast iron pipe instead of steel. Cast iron is much weaker.
BTW, the pipes were filled by immersing them in a drum filled with water and then sealing them under water. No air was present in the pipes.---Marc

Latest posts