Explosion rated torches ??

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Engineering department at work needs around 80 torches for the engineers to use on site visits in hazardous environments. They need to be hand held, reasonable power (100 lumen + ), preferably sourceable within Europe and most importantly, properly rated as safe to use within an explosive environment. Can anyone give me recommendations on lights and pointing me in the direction of a supplier would be great if possible.
I would think that the use of regular batteries would also be a big plus.

Last edited:

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is actually an interesting field as it requires "intrinsically safe" devices.

Intrinsically safe means limiting voltages and currents to the point they cannot be a source of ignition. This of course limits the power available to create light, so the 150lm+ might not be that easy.

There is a UK manufacturer www wolf-safety co uk who have this type of product, but many are still incans with only a few LED lights.

Link removed as per the banner at the top of the page - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might also want to look a the Streamlight Survivor LED. High is ~140 lumen, and I believe they are rated for hazardous environments. There is also the Polystinger LED Haz-lo in this category, and 130 lumens.

Streamlight has distributors just about everywhere in the world.

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Streamlight, Pelican, Princeton Tec and Underwater Kinetics all make a range of rated lights and petzl do some ATEX rated headlamps. Even Energizer do some kind of intrinsically safe 2AA light, its not very bright though!

By regular batteries I'm assuming you mean AA's? I'm not sure what kind of ratings you need the lights to conform to, but the Streamlight 4AA ProPolymer LUX might fit the bill. For a bigger light (takes 8*AA's) the www princetontec com Princeton Tec Torrent LED might be more suitable.

If you're running 80 lights I would have thought some kind of rechargeable system might pay for itsself within a reasonable time-frame, not a clue what's available though so hopefully someone else will chime in!

Good luck!

GM

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rechargeable is out. They will be chucked in a bag and perhaps not brought out for a month or two in some cases.

The Wollf ones look interesting, I called them for a chat and they seem quite reasonable in price as well. Their Zone 1 rated 4AA lights are £37.50 each compared to Pelican and Streamlight which are over double that. Their Zone 0 ones for explosive atmospheres are only £67 odd. May ask them to send one over to see what the quality is like.
Haven't rulled out the Peli or Stream though.

Any others to consider ?

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Engineering department at work needs around 80 torches for the engineers to use on site visits in hazardous environments. They need to be hand held, reasonable power (100 lumen + ), preferably sourceable within Europe and most importantly, properly rated as safe to use within an explosive environment. Can anyone give me recommendations on lights and pointing me in the direction of a supplier would be great if possible.
I would think that the use of regular batteries would also be a big plus.

Go to the largest supplier of safety clothing in the UK(you know who they are),they will be up to date with the type of lighting that is needed for your specific requirement,they are good to deal with and keen on price.

Just checked there web site,you can buy with confidence they will have what you need.Nice 120 lumens there for you.

Last edited:

Jet Black

Newly Enlightened
Big Island in the South Pacific Ocean , you can't
The 80 torches you require are going to be very expensive & will need to comply with the appropriate British Standards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Standards. This is a _really_ bad reference link but it does show the potential can of worms you are being asked to open.

This site looks better www bsigroup com
[h=2]
BSI Shop
For access to more than 50,000 standards, books, and publications.[/h]All the Australian Standards I have to comply with as an Electrical Contractor start with the AS 3000 Book. The Australian Penal Colony were given the British Standards to start off with & we then adapted them to suit local conditions. Pending on where the team of Engineer's plan to be using these flash lights , you may find they need to comply with numerous other "European Standards" or specific local standards as well.

[FONT=Gesta, Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica Neue, Bitstream Vera Sans, Helvetica, sans-serif]In order to properly cover your *** , you should ask the Engineering Department to supply you with the appropriate British Standard numbers & any other Standard Numbers they want/need the flash lights to comply with when being used for work.
Explosion/Spark Proof areas as designated as such for 2 main reasons , namely to protect peoples lives & for the Coroner (or some other investigating authority) to find out who to blame when there is an accident of catastrophic proportions in these areas.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Gesta, Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica Neue, Bitstream Vera Sans, Helvetica, sans-serif]I think the "cover your ***" rule & real life examples of what happened if you didn't were mentioned over 100 times in the first year of my Electrical Apprenticeship. Electricians & Electrical Components are on the list of "things" to be heavily scrutinised whenever a large fires or explosion goes off.[/FONT][FONT=Gesta, Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica Neue, Bitstream Vera Sans, Helvetica, sans-serif]

If the "Engineers" won't give you the Standard Numbers that they need their "explosion proof" flash lights to comply with , I'd immediately walk away from the task , they are probably looking for a "patsy" or "fall guy" who they can pass the blame onto in the event something Bad(tm) happens.

JB
[/FONT]

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 80 torches you require are going to be very expensive & will need to comply with the appropriate British Standards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Standards. This is a _really_ bad reference link but it does show the potential can of worms you are being asked to open.

This site looks better www bsigroup com

BSI Shop
For access to more than 50,000 standards, books, and publications.

All the Australian Standards I have to comply with as an Electrical Contractor start with the AS 3000 Book. The Australian Penal Colony were given the British Standards to start off with & we then adapted them to suit local conditions. Pending on where the team of Engineer's plan to be using these flash lights , you may find they need to comply with numerous other "European Standards" or specific local standards as well.

In order to properly cover your *** , you should ask the Engineering Department to supply you with the appropriate British Standard numbers & any other Standard Numbers they want/need the flash lights to comply with when being used for work.
Explosion/Spark Proof areas as designated as such for 2 main reasons , namely to protect peoples lives & for the Coroner (or some other investigating authority) to find out who to blame when there is an accident of catastrophic proportions in these areas.

I think the "cover your ***" rule & real life examples of what happened if you didn't were mentioned over 100 times in the first year of my Electrical Apprenticeship. Electricians & Electrical Components are on the list of "things" to be heavily scrutinised whenever a large fires or explosion goes off.

If the "Engineers" won't give you the Standard Numbers that they need their "explosion proof" flash lights to comply with , I'd immediately walk away from the task , they are probably looking for a "patsy" or "fall guy" who they can pass the blame onto in the event something Bad(tm) happens.

JB

The lights he requires are rather inexpensive as it happens.:D

silver_bacon

Newly Enlightened
The BrightStar WorkSAFE Razor is designed for this type of environment. 90 lumens. The old version was not regulated and had a pretty narrow beam. I don't know how the new version compares. Constructed out of nylon.