3 Torches needed but which ones?!?

M.Aziz

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,
I have spent many days researching lights that might suit my purpose's but there are just too many options to consider. I plan on doing some extensive adventure motorcycling so I'm in the market for 3 specific lights. I have filled out the quiz for each light but in general i am in the market for 1 headlamp, 1 EDC/keychain light and 1 torch of reasonable size. I have a requirement that they be rechargable via USB as i will only have access to power via a power bank for a considerable part of my trip, I'm pretty set on the goal zero sherpa 100 power pack but I'm still trying to figure out how i can charge my macbook pro from it. I was hoping to keep my spending in the sub $500 region and the handheld torch can be removed if the general consensus is that a good headlamp will suffice for general camping and night maintenance duties. I don't need any fancy features just lights that are good, reliable and simple.
Thank you for an guidance you can give :)

Handheld Torch
1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
____I would like to purchase the light in person from a brick and mortar store. I am located in ______________.
_x_This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).
2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
____I don't know yet
____Up to $25.
____Up to $50.
____Up to $100.
__x__Up to $200.
____Up to $300.
____Essentially unlimited.
3) Format:
____I am not sure, please help me decide.
__x__I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).
____I want a self-contained headlamp.
____I want a headlamp with an external pack/power source.
____I want a mounted light (typically for a bicycle or vehicle)
____I want a lantern/area light.
____I want a portable spotlight (it may have an external power source).
____Other ____________________________________________
4) Size:
____MICRO - Keychain size.
__x__TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).
__x__SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).
____MEDIUM - Holster/belt ring carry. (>7 inches)
____LARGE - Big enough to need its own travel case.
____I don't know/I don't care.
5) Emitter/Light source:
____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
____Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)
____HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)
__x__I don't know.
6) Manufacturer:
__x__I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
__x__I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).
____I am interested in assembling my own components. (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source).
7) What power source do you want to use?
____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Alkaline batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Lithium batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D and CR123 sized cells common to most stores (often a cold weather or long storage choice).
____I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
____I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).
__x__I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery pack.
____I don't know/I need more information on power sources.
7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
____I want a light that plugs directly into the wall (literally with prongs built into the light)
____I want a light that has a recharging adapter (your typical "wall wart")
____I want a light that snaps into a cradle (usually mounted on a wall)
____I want a separate/stand-alone charger (this involves removing the batteries to charge)
____I don't care
USB cable rechargable
8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).
____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (1-10 lumens).
____I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)
__x__I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
__x__I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
____I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).
____SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.
9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.
____All Flood: I am doing "arms length" tasks like reading and campsite cooking.
____Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.
____Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
____Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.
__x__Narrow Throw: I want a beam with a very tight "hot center" and minimal "side-spill". Good for distance viewing, fog, and looking through dense undergrowth.
____Turbohead: I want a far-distance projector with a sharply focused spot of light and minimal or zero side-spill. Good for extreme distance and impressing your friends.
9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
__x__50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards (I am searching from a helicopter)
10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).
____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
__x__90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).
11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
__x__Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don't know.
12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
____Any size switch will do.
____I need a BIG switch (I'll be using gloves or have very large hands or coordination issues).
____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
____I want a remote switch (usually found on high-end bicycle headlights)
____I don't care.
__x__I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________________.
13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
__x__A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
__x__I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.
____I want a strobe mode. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode")
____I want SOS mode. (blinks in ---...--- emergency pattern)
____I want a beacon mode. (Regular flashes at full power to show location.)
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
14)Material/Finish/Coating
____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
__x__Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
__x__Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________.
15) Water resistance
____None needed
__x__IPX4 (Splash resistant)
__x__IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)
____IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)
16) Storage conditions
____In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)
____Emergency kit (long standby periods)
__x__Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)
____Other_________________________________________ ____
Headlamp
____I would like to purchase the light in person from a brick and mortar store. I am located in ______________.
__x__This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).
2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
____I don't know yet
____Up to $25.
____Up to $50.
____Up to $100.
__x__Up to $200.
____Up to $300.
3) Format:
____I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).
__x__I want a headlamp with an external pack/power source.
4) Size:
____MICRO - Keychain size.
____TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).
____SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).
__x__I don't know/I don't care.
5) Emitter/Light source:
__x__I don't know.
6) Manufacturer:
__x__I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
__x__I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).
____I am interested in assembling my own components. (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source).
____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Alkaline batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Lithium batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D and CR123 sized cells common to most stores (often a cold weather or long storage choice).
____I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
____I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).
____I want a light that plugs directly into the wall (literally with prongs built into the light)
____I want a separate/stand-alone charger (this involves removing the batteries to charge)
____I don't care
USB rechargable
8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).
____I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)
____I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
__x__I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
____SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.
____All Flood: I am doing "arms length" tasks like reading and campsite cooking.
__x__Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.
____Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
____Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.
____Narrow Throw: I want a beam with a very tight "hot center" and minimal "side-spill". Good for distance viewing, fog, and looking through dense undergrowth.
____Turbohead: I want a far-distance projector with a sharply focused spot of light and minimal or zero side-spill. Good for extreme distance and impressing your friends.
9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
__x__50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).
____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
__x__90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
__x__3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).
11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
__x__Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don't know.
____I need a BIG switch (I'll be using gloves or have very large hands or coordination issues).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
____I don't care.
__x__I don't know.
__x__I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want a strobe mode. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode")
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
__x__Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
__x__Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
15) Water resistance
____None needed
16) Storage conditions
__x__Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)
____Other_________________________________________ ____
EDC/Key chain torch
__x__This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).
____I don't know yet
____Up to $25.
____Up to $50.
__x__Up to $100.
____Up to $200.
____Up to $300.
3) Format:
__x__I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).
____I want a headlamp with an external pack/power source.
4) Size:
__x__MICRO - Keychain size.
____TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).
____SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).
____I don't know/I don't care.
5) Emitter/Light source:
__x__I don't know.
6) Manufacturer:
____I don't care
USB rechargable
__x__I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)
__x__I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
____Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.
__x__Narrow Throw: I want a beam with a very tight "hot center" and minimal "side-spill". Good for distance viewing, fog, and looking through dense undergrowth.
__x__Turbohead: I want a far-distance projector with a sharply focused spot of light and minimal or zero side-spill. Good for extreme distance and impressing your friends.
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
__x__Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).
__x__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don't know.
__x__I don't care.
____I don't know.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
15) Water resistance
____None needed
16) Storage conditions
____Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)
____Other __Keychain/pocket

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
HI there and :welcome:

You might want to consider a solar charger and a powerbank, go check it out here, that would take care of your power problems I think, if you want USB you would definitely have to get USB capable if you intend to use a solar charger, if you want really tiny, get a Nitcore TUBE it's on sale at batteryjunction (it is USB rechargeable), then get 4 eneloops and an ArmyTek Prime A1 (pro or non-pro, you decide) all this should be within your budget. If you want a headband, you can turn the clip around and clip the light to the bill of your cap.

Just my humble suggestions, please see what you think.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello all,

I have spent many days researching lights that might suit my purpose's but there are just too many options to consider. I plan on doing some extensive adventure motorcycling, so I'm in the market for 3 specific lights.

I have filled out the quiz for each light, but in general I am in the market for 1 headlamp, 1 EDC/keychain light, and 1 torch of reasonable size. I have a requirement that they be rechargable via USB as i will only have access to power via a power bank for a considerable part of my trip.

I'm pretty set on the Goal Zero Sherpa 100 power pack but I'm still trying to figure out how I can charge my Macbook Pro from it.

I was hoping to keep my spending in the sub-$500 region, and the handheld torch can be removed if the general consensus is that a good headlamp will suffice for general camping and night maintenance duties. I don't need any fancy features, just lights that are good, reliable and simple.

Thank you for an guidance you can give.

I was all set to recommend the Nitecore Tube until I saw that you are looking for a keychain light that is throwy, has at least 2 modes, and outputs between 60 and 150 lumens on high. Perhaps the CooYoo Quantum would do the job. I know nothing about the light, except that it recharges a Li-ion 10180 battery via USB, on paper it meets your spec for output, and that there is a group buy underway at CPF right now. Somehow, I doubt it is throwy. I have never used the CooYou, so I cannot give any info other than that.

The Nitecore H90 is a USB-recharargeable headlamp. Once again, I know nothing about this product except what I found on the Nitecore web site. It does not have an external battery pack, however, so it does not entirely meet your spec. Otherwise, it is pretty close.

Another one I know only from the web is the Fenix HP30. It does have an external power pack with USB output. It is not, however, rechargeable via USB. The 2x 18650 batteries in its power pack must be removed, and recharged outside the pack.

Finding a handheld torch that charges via USB should be the easiest of all your requests. This year has seen a plethora of offerings. One that has gotten a lot of attention is the Nitecore MH20. It is not a thrower, per se, but it throws a bit better than other small flashlights in its class. This is yet another light I have not tried myself.

Good luck with your search. There are probably many here who have actually used some of these lights. No doubt, they can suggest good alternatives to those above.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Three lights?

Nitecore HC90. The HC90 nails general night maintenance and general nighttime camp duties. It qualifies as full featured.

Nitecore MH20. Super nice flooder.

Be sure to use 3400 mAh batteries for longer run-time.

I can only offer two suggestions that meets your requirements as my third suggestion (NiteCore EC4) needs two 18650s that require a plug-in battery charger.

The first two will definitely meet your needs.

Last edited:

M.Aziz

Newly Enlightened
HI there and :welcome:

You might want to consider a solar charger and a powerbank, go check it out here, that would take care of your power problems I think, if you want USB you would definitely have to get USB capable if you intend to use a solar charger, if you want really tiny, get a Nitcore TUBE it's on sale at batteryjunction (it is USB rechargeable), then get 4 eneloops and an ArmyTek Prime A1 (pro or non-pro, you decide) all this should be within your budget. If you want a headband, you can turn the clip around and clip the light to the bill of your cap.

Just my humble suggestions, please see what you think.
I will be charging via my motorbikes usb outlet which I'm hoping will do a sufficient job of charging the power bank, I'm looking at the hyper juice 1.5 and 2 seeing as they are one of the few that allow for the charging of macbook's. That armytek prime seems like a really good light that i will have to consider.

I was all set to recommend the Nitecore Tube until I saw that you are looking for a keychain light that is throwy, has at least 2 modes, and outputs between 60 and 150 lumens on high. Perhaps the CooYoo Quantum would do the job. I know nothing about the light, except that it recharges a Li-ion 10180 battery via USB, on paper it meets your spec for output, and that there is a group buy underway at CPF right now. Somehow, I doubt it is throwy. I have never used the CooYou, so I cannot give any info other than that.

The Nitecore H90 is a USB-recharargeable headlamp. Once again, I know nothing about this product except what I found on the Nitecore web site. It does not have an external battery pack, however, so it does not entirely meet your spec. Otherwise, it is pretty close.

Another one I know only from the web is the Fenix HP30. It does have an external power pack with USB output. It is not, however, rechargeable via USB. The 2x 18650 batteries in its power pack must be removed, and recharged outside the pack.

Finding a handheld torch that charges via USB should be the easiest of all your requests. This year has seen a plethora of offerings. One that has gotten a lot of attention is the Nitecore MH20. It is not a thrower, per se, but it throws a bit better than other small flashlights in its class. This is yet another light I have not tried myself.

Good luck with your search. There are probably many here who have actually used some of these lights. No doubt, they can suggest good alternatives to those above.

I saw the Nitecore HC90 but I'm not a huge fan of the multicoloured led's. I looked at the MH20 and it seems like it might do the trick but I'm just thinking that I've never actually seen how big a charger is so maybe buying torches that utilise the same batteries and having a single external usb charger might work out better and open up more purchase options. I recently found a place 30 minutes from me that have an amazing selection of lights from a lot of the major brands.The website of the shop is (http://www.liteshop.com.au) for all Australian members. If i decide to go the integrated usb path from what i can see some good options are the Nitecore MH20, OlightR40, FenixUC40, and the HC90 or OlightH35/40 as a headlamp. There are so many different options its mind boggling, i never realised there was so many different types and brands its going to take a lot more research than i originally expected haha.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there OP, I like the ArmyTek because it can use 14500, NiMH and Energizers as well, I'd say that for your motorbiking, get the Pro cos of the strobe mode, you never know when you will need it, if you are using your motorbikes USB outlet, then the Xtar VC4 would be the perfect charger for you.

pvsampson

Newly Enlightened
One thing I will add here,don't dismiss the RGB colours.Green and red are excellent for retaining night vision for general quick use,ie: in a tent finding things or around a bike,green especially.I have dealt a lot with the company you mentioned lately,online,but have had no problems and they even sent follow up emails checking to see if there are any issues.That is good business ethic in my opinion.

M.Aziz

Newly Enlightened
Hi there OP, I like the ArmyTek because it can use 14500, NiMH and Energizers as well, I'd say that for your motorbiking, get the Pro cos of the strobe mode, you never know when you will need it, if you are using your motorbikes USB outlet, then the Xtar VC4 would be the perfect charger for you.

The VC4 seems a little big seeing as I'm trying to keep weight/volume down to a minimum, if it was for general at home use it would be fine but space on a motorbike is at a minimum. I was looking at the Xtar VP2 but I'm just seeing whats out there at the moment.

One thing I will add here,don't dismiss the RGB colours.Green and red are excellent for retaining night vision for general quick use,ie: in a tent finding things or around a bike,green especially.I have dealt a lot with the company you mentioned lately,online,but have had no problems and they even sent follow up emails checking to see if there are any issues.That is good business ethic in my opinion.
The extra colour was a a minor annoyance what i don't like more is the slide for changing colours, it looks like it would clogged up pretty easily.

M.Aziz

Newly Enlightened
Well I've decided on the HC90 and the MH20 but now i just need advice on a charger and batteries. For batteries I'm looking at eagletac 3400 http://www.liteshop.com.au/content/eagletac-panasonic-3400mah-protected-li-ion-18650 and as for the charger I'm thinking the Xstar VP2 is way to go http://www.liteshop.com.au/content/xtar-vp2-intelligent-li-ion-battery-charger-2-channel. Anyone got any suggestions as to a more appropriate charger? The VC4 is a bit bulky, I'm looking for small and compact.
Thanks

M.Aziz

Newly Enlightened
Ok so heres my shopping list with just the headlamp needing some confirmation.

Nitecore MH20 $130
Xtar VP2 charger $60
1 x Olight panasonic 3600mAh 18650 $30
2 x Olight panasonic 2600mAh 18650 $26
headlamps
Option 1. Nitecore HC90 $155
Option 2. Olight H35 $190

So with the HC90 the total is $396 or $436 with the H35
So which one the HC90 or the H35? Im leaning towards the HC90 but i just want peoples opinions.

Edit: Do people recommend the Olight batteries? Are the other brands such as Fenix, Klaus, Eagletac, Nitecore better quality?

Last edited:

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
MH20 was an may still be under $50 from GB.
You need it ParrotQuack,
how many times do I have to Crow about it,
while go on Raven about it?☺
Of a feather or what?
Err, something to that effect.

akhyar

Enlightened
Ok so heres my shopping list with just the headlamp needing some confirmation.

Nitecore MH20 $130
Xtar VP2 charger $60
1 x Olight panasonic 3600mAh 18650 $30
2 x Olight panasonic 2600mAh 18650 $26
headlamps
Option 1. Nitecore HC90 $155
Option 2. Olight H35 $190

So with the HC90 the total is $396 or $436 with the H35
So which one the HC90 or the H35? Im leaning towards the HC90 but i just want peoples opinions.

Edit: Do people recommend the Olight batteries? Are the other brands such as Fenix, Klaus, Eagletac, Nitecore better quality?

As the above poster mentioned, the MH20 can still be had for below $50 from Gearbest, with free international shipping if you know where to find the code.
As for charger, you can also get Xtar VC4 charger for less than $30 from GB, or Nitecore i4 v2014 for less than $15 from dd4.com if you don't mind the slow chraging rate.
For battery, due to Li-Ion shipping restrictions by most postal services and airlines, if you don't want to wait for 30-60 days surface or sea shipping duration, maybe you can ask around at this forum where is the best place to buy batteries at your country.
Olight batteries ar good, just like Fenix, Nitecore, Eagtac, etc, but if it is my wallet, I'll hunt around for cheaper batteries like those from Keeppower or stock 18650 batteries like Panasonic NCR18650B or GA

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
As the above poster mentioned, the MH20 can still be had for below $50 from Gearbest, with free international shipping if you know where to find the code.
As for charger, you can also get Xtar VC4 charger for less than $30 from GB

Thank you sooooo much for the steering tip to GearBest, I have gotten to VC4 from there, huge savings!! Now waiting for the mail man, go mailman go!!

akhyar

Enlightened
I checked gearbest and they had the MH20 @ $113 AUD and the HC90 @ $157. If you've never been to Australia we get screwed on pricing for everything, think 30% more for the same product and the AUD is very low at the moment so that would probably make it worse.
How about these batteries? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-Panas...n-NCR18650GA-battery-ncrGA-3500-/281704658897

Is the price listed in Gearbest for AUD$113 because you change the currency to AUD$ or because your shipping address is in Aussie?
Rightfully they should sell you the MH20 at the price everybody else is paying as the custom fee is borne by the buyer.

As for the battery NCR-GA battery, if you don't require the protection circuit as your light is only a single cell or have low voltage warning, it's a good buy as they shipped direct from Aussie.

LeafSamurai

Enlightened