External hard drives

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking to replace my aging Western Digital 1TB external with something a little less old to serve as my primary data back up device. Tried a Seagate a couple years ago but it had a lot of issues with the power supply and even after warranty replacement it still didn't work. Definitely budget conscience and need at least 1TB capacity but more is always better. Just a little confused due to the wide variety of HD's on the market now, but pretty tempted just to look for a good deal on some WD brand external. Does anybody know if there are any that are cross compatible between Mac and Windows laptops these days?

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a few external hard drives to back up my stuff, and have used a variety of Western Digital and Seagate products. Haven't had any problems with them (knock on wood). A few weeks ago, I picked up a 2TB Western Digital drive for a bit over $100. My recollection is that they were offered in separate Windows and Mac versions.

The package had a lot of talk about storing stuff in the cloud or wireless connections. I don't recall the details, but I had to search the box carefully to confirm that it still had the USB2 connection and cable.

hazza

Newly Enlightened
My recent favourite has been WD drives. I've yet to have a problem with them. There are some great value USB 3.0 models around at the moment. I tend not to worry about cloud storage any other included rubbish - I have my own arrangements for all of that.

Regarding windows or Mac formatting, the mac formated drives cost a bit more in my experience. However, last time I tried a 'windows formated' drive in a mac (not mine), it immediately offered me the option of reformatting, so the extra money on Mac formatting would have been a total waste. Not being a mac user, I can't guarantee this, but it worked for me before!

For cross compatibility, your best bet is probably to get the cheapest drive you can and format it as FAT32, which both Windows and Mac can read and write to.

Last edited:

stockae92

Enlightened
I have 2 WD ext drives, one 500GB and another one 1TB raid, still going strong.