• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Fall "standing wave" of Haikus

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the fence about whether to get the BB or the standard Haiku. Could someone that owns a BB version tell me how durable the BB finish is. More to the point, how prone is it to scratches and showing wear?

Thanks,

Paul

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been reading the posts, but haven't found the answer yet - is it okay to use the AW RCR battery in the Haiku? The only mention of a battery I see from Don is a CR123.

Anybody? Don't want to fry my new toy...:help:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi Stewart,

No idea why but I don't have an e-mail from you. I checked the spam folder as well but nothing?!?

Please try again and you can also copy

don(at)dmcleish.com

stienke

Enlightened
On the fence about whether to get the BB or the standard Haiku. Could someone that owns a BB version tell me how durable the BB finish is. More to the point, how prone is it to scratches and showing wear?

Thanks,

Paul

Paul , send a pm to Henk_LU , he own's one .
I'll think when you use it a lot (EDC) , get the standard one.
I own a Standard for EDC an it's like new , you can always polish it , and it looks new!
Maybe this helps.

Cheers Gerjan

jblackwood

Enlightened
I've got an LS20 that's bead blasted that I've EDC'ed for the past 6 months. It has scratches on the non-bead blasted parts but that might be because only the interior hand part is bead blasted. The very top near the tail is where my scratches are and that's the part that sticks out of my pocket when it's carried. The clip, which is diamond-etched and sand washed (?) doesn't have a scratch and that is constantly on the outside of my back pocket.

Looking at the Haiku (don't have one . . . yet!), only the interior of the light is bead blasted so I imagine it wouldn't pick up scratches as easily, just like my LS20. Please place my opinion where it belongs, though, squarely in the "guy who doesn't have a Haiku but who does have a bead-blasted model of light from the same dude and who's carried it for half a year," category. If anyone can offer a better opinion for this question, please do! :candle:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul , send a pm to Henk_LU , he own's one .
I'll think when you use it a lot (EDC) , get the standard one.
I own a Standard for EDC an it's like new , you can always polish it , and it looks new!
Maybe this helps.

Cheers Gerjan

I got no PM, but nevertheless I couldn't have answered. I have one indeed, it is very nice and the finish seems to be durable, but I never took the light out and it still hasn't been abused.

I'm gonna get a Haiku XP-G to give it company and I think the "normal" finish is perhaps easier to scratch than the BB, but much easier to polish as well! I hope the BB doesn't get any scratches, I wouldn't know how to restore the finish. On the other side, I don't think I'll ever polish my lights, scratches are a personnalisation and a sign that the light gets used and is tough!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I am going to unstick this thread. It seems the Haiku XP-G has for the most part replaced these original Haiku's using the XR-E LED.

jblackwood

Enlightened
Don, please say it ain't so!!! Has the Haiku XR-E gone the way of the LS20? Won't we (really I) be able to get any straight from you any more? If so, it's time to put some pressure on the wife! I write this from my phone since I won't be home until late. I know I'm often pretty humorous (some might say corny, not funny at all) but I'm totally earnest now. Thanks.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I have the components on hand to build more of the XR-E light engines as well as plenty reflectors. I haven't closed the wave but given the lack of interest, I see no reason to keep it a stickie and add confusion. :shrug:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still tempted by the XR-E BB Haiku... must resist! :sweat:

BB is beautiful - very 'classy' looking. Of course you know, you already have one! Perhaps I've gone over the edge - BB Haiku, BB Haiku XP-G, 'standard' Haiku XP-G - and on the way back to me, my original 'standard' Haiku. They all have a unique desirability.

I guess it's clear that I heartily endorse the Haiku - in all iterations!:thumbsup:

(Go for it, Jared! :devil:)