Fenix CL30R review

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
4500-5000 is my guess. All I can say is, if someone needs a lantern and they are shying away from this one because they think its too cool.....might be a mistake.

See, I personally think that is quite cool for a camping lantern, especially if it is closer to 5000K.

A campfire has a colour temperature of around 1800K, a gas mantel lantern(e.g. Coleman lantern) is around 2800K, and even moonlight is only about 4000K. Most people use 2700-3000K bulbs in their living room and bedside table lamps for comfort as well. Personally, I prefer my camp lighting to be fairly warm so its not like I just stepped into a hospital when I turn it on. I have been using the Fenix CL20's recently and they have a descent temp around 3500-4000K. I wish more companies would stick to warmer temps when it comes to their camping lantern models.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally don't find 5000k to be too bad. Yes its a little cool but to me it isn't enough to keep me from buying one or using it.

I don't mind 5000K for supplementary daytime lighting or for when doing work tasks but, for night use when relaxing out in the forest camping I find it way too cool.

It's funny, most people hate 5000K household LED bulbs when it comes to their living and sleeping areas but, they are willing to accept it in flashlight or lantern form:thinking:.

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
See, I personally think that is quite cool for a camping lantern, especially if it is closer to 5000K.

A campfire has a colour temperature of around 1800K, a gas mantel lantern(e.g. Coleman lantern) is around 2800K, and even moonlight is only about 4000K. Most people use 2700-3000K bulbs in their living room and bedside table lamps for comfort as well. Personally, I prefer my camp lighting to be fairly warm so its not like I just stepped into a hospital when I turn it on. I have been using the Fenix CL20's recently and they have a descent temp around 3500-4000K. I wish more companies would stick to warmer temps when it comes to their camping lantern models.

I have a CL20 somewhere. I'll dig it out and compare those two.