Fenix E11 (AA)

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got exactly the same answer from Fenix earlier today. :thinking:

It would be nice if some member of Chinese nationality or origin could read behind these lines and explain the answer to us in a more understandable fashion.
What I understand is that basically we should not expect a very good beam from their first attempt at TIR .... :devil:

kj2

Flashaholic
I got exactly the same answer from Fenix earlier today. :thinking:

It would be nice if some member of Chinese nationality or origin could read behind these lines and explain the answer to us in a more understandable fashion.
What I understand is that basically we should not expect a very good beam from their first attempt at TIR .... :devil:
Yes, I think they mean that :p

Will look tonight, how the beam is. :)
And if the E11 indeed has a range of 72meters.

*edit: Tested it yesterday-night. The E11 gives enough light for a EDC. My backyard lights up nicely. But Fenix(ANSI) says it will do 72meters, well -noway :p 30-40 meters it will do, but further there isn't enough light to see good. *

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
Isn't it so, that the ANSI Standard obliged the manufacturer to put the same battery/batteries in the package, as which the flashlight is tested with?
Because the E11 is using the standard, but it comes without a battery.

tam17

Enlightened
Isn't it so, that the ANSI Standard obliged the manufacturer to put the same battery/batteries in the package, as which the flashlight is tested with?
Because the E11 is using the standard, but it comes without a battery.

AFAIK they're required either to include the battery of the same type that was used during the ANSI testing, or to state (e.g. on the packaging) which type of battery was used to obtain the results.

Tam

kj2

Flashaholic
Below are the pics, I talked about :) On the first you can see the optic on the led. Second/third you can see the slightly off-centre led.

2q3cd3k.jpg

16jq7nl.jpg

2j0h66r.jpg

davecroft

Enlightened
Nice pics, kj2! But that LED doesn't look too far out to me, especially for a low priced effort. The machining of the 'tube' through the TIR looks worse - seems to have a lot of burrs like it was drilled out with a blunt drill bit. A beam shot would be good, especially compared to a normal orange peel reflector beam.

kj2

Flashaholic
Nice pics, kj2! But that LED doesn't look too far out to me, especially for a low priced effort. The machining of the 'tube' through the TIR looks worse - seems to have a lot of burrs like it was drilled out with a blunt drill bit. A beam shot would be good, especially compared to a normal orange peel reflector beam.
Indeed, it isn't very far of, lucky for me :)
The beam, I like :) even during the day- I can see the beam a little bit :)

hwc

Newly Enlightened
The machining of the 'tube' through the TIR looks worse - seems to have a lot of burrs like it was drilled out with a blunt drill bit.

I think what you are seeing is reflections in the center hole from all all the little bits on the circuit board.

Here's your beam shot:

http://fonarik.com/test/indexen.php?model=5&scene=3&mode=4

If you click the COMPARE button over on the right side, I've got it set up to compare the same shot on all three Fenix 1-AA models: the E11, the L15, and the LD10.

Last edited:

davecroft

Enlightened
Thanks hwc. I forgot about the brilliant fonarik test shot site! The beam looks quite good actually, nice hotspot and plenty of spill. Brighter hotspot than LD15 and wider spill than both LD15 and LD10, but the spill of the E11 looks rather darker than the other two. I think if you were buying this light as a non-flashaholic, you would be pleasantly surprised. Good value for what it is.

hwc

Newly Enlightened
Based on the low intensity (candella) spec given the fairly high lumen output, it seems that the E11 is definitely more of a floody light than a "thrower". That is a good thing given that a light like this would most typically be used for walking around or lighting a tent or changing a flat tire or whatever and not for tryng to light trees on fire at 100 meters. It would be a good complement for my MAG XL200 which has a very deep reflector and a tightly focused hot spot with a pretty long throw.

androids

Newly Enlightened
Just got mine today and I'm very happy with it. The led is just a hair of center, but like someone said before, it will not affect the real life performance at all. Its indeed more floody. Compared to my old LD10 Q5, this is brighter at max and the spill fills any dark space, due to the new lens. I really like this light, cheap, simple (hate strobe and sos), nice white tint and a direct switch, wich is pretty cool. I have nothing to complain about it, it is a very good edc for sure :)

lightnin'hopkins

Newly Enlightened
I'm very pleased with mine so far.
Good build quality. Doesn't feel cheap at all.

Love the nice warm white beam color.

Has a wide hotspot so it's not a thrower.
Hotspot is also irregular, more than I was expecting from a fenix,
but it's not a problem to me.

Output had me surprised.
On high, ceiling bounce looks just as bright as my LD10 on turbo.

Clicky works perfectly & twisty interface operates fairly easy on one hand.

For the price, it's a great little light.:)

It could use a clip though.

speedsix

Enlightened
Re: Fenix E11 (1AA)

I actually like everything about this light except the fact that there is no pocket clip! What were they thinking?

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I am one of the lucky ones with the LED directly in the center. The beam is not as clean as the Quark AA, but it is far more useful in an indoor environment or when I need to find something dropped on the lawn/trees etc. The beam has a good hybrid of decent throw and just the right amount of flood without being too obnoxious. The runtimes and the clicky is what sold me. The runtime for the 30+lumen mode rated at over 8hrs is ideal for me on a single AA.

The last power outage I had, I realized that anything lower than 30 was not useful for my situation, and cannot light up a room to a comfortable level, no matter how much my eyes adjust to the darkness. My lights are always on Medium during a power outage, and low level maybe as a night light, or in a survival situation in my EDC. The medium mode is very impressive at 8hrs+, which beats the Quarks that I have, which I depend on for quality and runtime.

The only gripes I have about this light is nothing but a cosmetic issue. It would have been more useful if the clicky did not protrude out the way it does, so I can use it to tail stand, but this will prove beneficial when I have gloves on, so no big deal. And the last would be that it could have definitely used a clip, so it doesn't flop around in my front jeans pocket freely. It is big enough to be noticed lol! haha
Overall, this is the light I EDC, and being a single AA definitely helps because those cells are available everywhere. I highly recommend this light. I just hope that they fix this whole off center issue for all the other lights that weren't so fortunate.

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think what you are seeing is reflections in the center hole from all all the little bits on the circuit board.

Here's your beam shot:

http://fonarik.com/test/indexen.php?model=5&scene=3&mode=4

If you click the COMPARE button over on the right side, I've got it set up to compare the same shot on all three Fenix 1-AA models: the E11, the L15, and the LD10.

Very impressive website! Very very useful! :thumbsup:

kartracer77

Newly Enlightened
My E11 is off centered just like Kilovolt.

FYI I did run a 14500 in it for about 5 minutes straight on high. Gets warm fairly quick also a lot brighter. you can still tell a difference in both modes with the 14500. I am back on the eneloop.

Jekyll & Hyde

Newly Enlightened
So, New Fenix E11 or LD15?

J: About to purchase an LD15 for EDC.

H: What do you guys think now that the E11 has been out a while?

J: Also considering the little LD01 for other carry.

H: Any negatives?

TIA,
J&H

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Out of curiosity, does anyone know how difficult it would be to re-center the emitter?

--flatline