Fenix L1/L1P 1st impressions - please post here

bhds

Enlightened
Kevin Tan said:
Have the L1 n L1P. To me the reflector looks OK. Why wud ppl complain about the reflector having rings when it doesnt degrade the beam? Is it bcus they want a perfect smo? I thought that the rings smooth out the beam artifacts perfectly.

I dont think anyone has really complained that much about them. Mainly because the beam is already pretty smooth. If the beam sucked really bad then the rings would be more of an issue:shrug:

phatalbert

Enlightened
Hikaru said:
Has anyone taken thier Fenix apart yet to look at the switch? If someone could post picts and/or dimenions we might begin to look for some 2-way alternatives for making it into a two level light (like a pimped out Q3).

Is a 2-level upgrade a likely or even possible option to be made available for purchase anytime in the near future?

sakurazaka

Newly Enlightened
Anybody can post some pictures of the fenix lighten up the whole room and the hallway? In both the horizontal position and the "candle" position if possible.

:thanks:

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just have a couple of quick things to add about the L1 v2 before this thread gets a huge influx of v2.5 impressions...

For starters, the non-lottery aspect of the L1P is the best thing it has going for it. Now maybe that's obvious to the rest of the world, but with us getting pretty much the first batch, i was expecting fairly tight binning. Oopsie. Here's run-times of my three L1s. Variations are expected - and in this case work out well since it suits who i'll be giving them to - but the first one (red) is just sad. (smirk) You needn't mourn for me just yet though, 'cause i checked it out, and for normal car-tasks, i'd risk blinding myself - or more to the point, risk someone else blinding *me* - if the hot spot was much brighter and at short distances the corona is bright enough to be useful.

49667889.L1NiMH.jpg

I'm actually not sure if this next bit is impressive or not since i don't make it a habit to run LEDs on depleted batteries, but it *seems* impressive, at any rate. My long-running L1 was in moon mode - or rather, emergency mode - a solid 17 hours when i decided to measure the voltage. I got .31v; running on an e2 cell, btw. The cut-off to actually *start* though is a bit higher. Near as i can tell it's .41v, which still seems terribly impressive. Whether or not it'll do the same on an alkaline i have no idea. I'll leave that test to one of you guys.

sakurazaka - I don't have an L1P or else i'd take care of you. When i get mine i'll post some pix if no one beats me to it. (smirk) Hopefully someone will though, 'cause i have a bunch of things pending, so it may be a while.

Before i go, here's a pic of a grey Fenix if only because there aren't many shots of it.

49667773.DSCN3267s2.jpg

evanlocc

Enlightened
Thanks bhds for the nice beam comparison ! (lets just forget about what batt it run on!
icon10.gif
)

Well, I tried once to run the L1+ from the batt that get 'change the batteries' msg from my Canon A40 DC. Still shine for 3 hrs without blink or dim from human eyes. What a best lips-stick size light.
buttrock.gif

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, i'm a definite fan. I'll know in a week which color i like better, but my money's on this one. It's a shame the color is dependent on version. (smirk) I think Peak spoiled me. Now i want *everyone* to let me mix and match pieces.

4sevens mentioned that v2.5 seems noticeably brighter to the eye which is pretty tasty, but i'm going to be at least a little bit sad to lose that 3-hour (plus) run-time. I guess that's part of the reason this is the one i'll be keeping in the car.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Archangel said:
pretty tasty, but i'm going to be at least a little bit sad to lose that 3-hour (plus) run-time. I guess that's part of the reason this is the one i'll be keeping in the car.

That's what I'm starting to think too. I have plenty of bright lights. I wanted this for the good combo of brightness vs. runtime. If the v2.5 now goes down to 1.0-1.5 hours of runtime, it's not doing me much good.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got some 2.5 versions as gifts for some friends. In thier eyes, it will have hella runtime. :)

Jeff

dc

Newly Enlightened
So anybody got got both the v2 and v2.5? Any comments and findings between this 2 twins...:)

Rgrds,
Daniel

Phredd

Enlightened
dc said:
So anybody got got both the v2 and v2.5? Any comments and findings between this 2 twins...:)

It looks like my 2.5 will ship on Monday. I should be able to post a comparison on Wednesday or Thursday (unless someone beats me to it).

Phredd

Jagged

Newly Enlightened
I have a friend going to Shenzhen, China next month. I wonder if he could pick pick any up direct and save money. Any idea if that would be possible / legal?

bhds

Enlightened
I received my v2.5 lights today. Its daylight and I have to go but some quick comparisons between one of the 2.5 vs 2.0

reflector much smoother and the beam is as perfect as I have ever seen. the 2.0 had noticeable rings around the hotspot when shining against a white wall. 2.5 has nil.

Not slap you in the face brighter but the hotspot is a bit more intense on a white wall.

My 2.0 had a great tint that was slightly lime colored. 2.5 is more white/blue- even better.

:wave: :wave:

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I received mine today as well. I'll be posting my own mini review in the Reviews forum, but for now, let me just say that I'm let-down by this purchase. Being the owner of a v2.0, I was really looking forward to these, however I set my expectations too high I guess, not to mention the mechanical issues.

onthebeam

Enlightened
For those who have received their 2.5s already, how does the brightnessa and beam characteristics compare to the Nuwai Q3?