Fenix LD01 Stainless Steel Limited Edition

Unforgiven

Flashlight Enthusiast
4sevens and fenixcanada your most recent posts have been removed. If you wish to continue your dispute, you must do so elswhere. Not on CPF or the Market Place.

parkschr

Newly Enlightened
I have never owned a stainless steel light before. Would it scratch easy? How would it hold up to being attached to my keychain?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I have never owned a stainless steel light before. Would it scratch easy? How would it hold up to being attached to my keychain?
Stainless will scratch too, but it looks good that way as the main problem with anodized lights is that the scratches destroy the surface finish while a scratched light with no coating just shows the same color.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thinking: Typical S/S doesn't hold up to scratches, is heavy, doesn't conduct heat very well, and can be nasty to machine cleanly. Doesn't sound like a very good material for a flashlight.

What's the point, except maybe as a shelf queen?

I think I'll pass, unless it is a nice strong alloy, with very good temper.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am excited! But I agree with the concerns: SS is very different than the aluminum we are used to and, barring a neat alloy like the Lummi series (NS), might hinder the light. Could it just be an SS coating or color? I think I just want a natural/clear-coat aluminum one...

phatalbert

Enlightened
I am nothing but excited about it! I agree with mossyoak that weight can't make too much of a difference in a aaa, scratches on metal look better than scratches on paint IMO, I wasn't aware that L0D's generated substantial heat in the first place (I could be wrong on this though), and lastly I don't imagine fenix would distribute a poorly machined light. At this point, I am hoping I can get my hands on one and that it is fairly priced
:twothumbs

EDIT: Anybody have any idea if the twist could be rougher due to the SS and lack of HA-III.

Last edited:

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
EDIT: Anybody have any idea if the twist could be rougher due to the SS and lack of HA-III.

in my experience ss is pretty smooth threading and turning

apple, ss wouldnt be much of a problem for a light that has relatively low output as the LD01 itll be extremely durable, more so than ti or aluminum, and you couldnt coat aluminium in ss anyways, its ss through and through.

Last edited:

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
I was just browsing my local (canadian) fenix supplier (as the CAD is really bad against the USD) and stumbled upon this. http://www.fenixtactical.com/fenix-ld01.html

A Stainless Steel LD01!

Uh oh, I think I need this. Though I do wonder about the heat sinking abilities of Stainless steel, but I guess the LD01 will mostly be used in med mode so perhaps heat build is not a problem.

dude, thats retarded, the guy that is selling the light doesnt even know what hes selling thats the lod ti from last year, it wont look like that at all, this guy must be desperate for any traffic to his store he can get or something. false advertising plain and simple, i wont be buying from that guy, hes selling flashlights and cant even tell the difference between his models.

IMSabbel

Enlightened
I wasn't aware that L0D's generated substantial heat in the first place (I could be wrong on this though)
You are.
The smaller the light, the more important it becomes to use the surface as good as possible. With lithium cells, they are heat-limited.
And the lower the metal crossection (and thus the higher the heat resistance) of the tube becomes.

A stainless steel one would have the led cooking before the outer body is more than hand-warm.
Stainless steel is even worse a heat conductor than titanium. Vs Aluminium, its a factor of 15 worse...

aljsk8

Enlightened
i love the amount of miss information here

generally stainless steel is not a worse conductor of heat than titanium although it does depend on the alloy

some ss alloys can be a little worse than titanium MOST are nearly twice as good

i think all of us would rather have Ti that Alu yet we never hear this thermal argument for Ti

aluminium can be 5 times better than ss
and up to 10 times better than Ti

im just using rough aproximations here

copper is twice as good as aluminium - so why dont we make flashlights out of copper?

its all about what the light is for

if you want a tough light that wont break the bank
then use a copper or aluminium heatsink in a ss light

i have 6 SS lights and they all get warm in my hand

and as for the weight - why is this such a bad thing?

anyone ever held a nokia 8600?

weight gives a feel of strength and class to some people that is more important than modes and latest emitters

sorry for my rant but SS:rock:

PAB

Enlightened
I may not know where I am, but I'm not lost
Hopefully we can find out we kind of stainless steal. A nitrogen steel would be cool since it can't rust, but I have no idea of the thermal characteristics or availability of nitrogen steel. Most likely they'll pick a steel based on thermal qualities and low cost. Pity.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
:thinking: Typical S/S doesn't hold up to scratches, is heavy, doesn't conduct heat very well, and can be nasty to machine cleanly. Doesn't sound like a very good material for a flashlight.

What's the point, except maybe as a shelf queen?

I think I'll pass, unless it is a nice strong alloy, with very good temper.
I think stainless looks great with wear marks on it and on the point of heat, mine usually isn't on for more than a 30 seconds at a time. Much as I'd like to see Ti I think this'll be a nice looking light.

Latest posts