Fenix P1 and Rechargeable RCR123's

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
abvidledUK said:
Thanks

What sort of RT do you get ?

Does it appear to follow a regulated output, ie quite constant for quite a while ? upto 120 mins RT

Or like the 3.6v RCR123's, high for a shorter period, then dips dramatically ? upto 60 mins RT

Or somewhere in between.

From CF's graphs above, I would expect somewhere in between.
I've never really timed how long it'll run. I use 650 mAh Powerizer unprotected 3 Volt cells. The few times I've run it till it dimmed down, I'd guess it was probably around 40-50 minutes. Again, this wasn't with a watch. :) Using unprotected cells, I try not to run them down to the drop off point, which is good advice for Li-Ions anyway.

As far as dimming, to my eyes, it seems like flat regulation till the end when there is an obvious drop off. A light meter may show differently.

Dave

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
abvidledUK said:
Thanks CF.

Already seen your graph.

Doesn't answer my specific question though, about unprotected 3v RCR123 @3.6v, and 3.6v RCR123 @4.2v in P1.

Anyone else help ?

Are yours those "new chemistry" 3.2v cells that AW has?

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
chevrofreak said:
Are yours those "new chemistry" 3.2v cells that AW has?

No.

All cells as per 5thUnit / DX website.

Plain old bog standard li-ion, unprotected. Charged.

savumaki

Enlightened
I have used AW's RCR123 in both my original P1 and now in the Q5 version with nothing adverse occurring. An absolutely great pocket light.
The only drawback, if you can call it that, is the shorter run time vs std 123's.
This doesn't bother me since I'm never too far from the charger and I generally have spare 123's with me.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The old P1 with RCR123 isn't quite as bright as the later P1D (on sale now for $31) using a CR123. Must be a better LuxIII bin and or circuit.

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
P1 upgraded to SSC w/ RCR123 batts is a killer setup... I have two now.

crocodilo

Enlightened
I did try running mine with AW's protected 3,7 RCR123, and the brightness was great, but getting only 43 minutes of runtime is kinda disappointing. And excludes this setup from any EDC duties. Running it with primaries is a whole different game.