Fenix TK-70

karlosk98

Newly Enlightened
For tk70 owners DOES FENIX TK70 HAVE AN EXTENSION TUBE?

Hi everybody I plan to purchase one but can´t find info on the main thread cause it seems contradictory at moments regarding if it has an extention tube for 3 cell operation.

In case it does, does it have the same lumen output?

Thanks

Last edited:

russthetoolman

Enlightened
Re: For tk70 owners DOES FENIX TK70 HAVE AN EXTENSION TUBE?

From Erns review:http://laserpointerforums.com/f66/fenix-tk70-review-65497.html
"I tried running the Fenix TK70 in turbo with the extender off to see what happens.

The TK70 held the same Lux reading in turbo for about 10 seconds and then dropped to high. I tried again by putting the TK70 in turbo and 10 seconds later it dropped to high. It seems the TK70 needs to use the 4th D size battery to keep the light in turbo mode."

kj2

Flashaholic
Hi everybody I plan to purchase one but can´t find info on the main thread cause it seems contradictory at moments regarding if it has an extention tube for 3 cell operation.

In case it does, does it have the same lumen output?

Thanks

The normal tube is for 3 cells. With the extension you put 4 D cells in it. For what I know, is that you need 4D's to get all of the power for a longer time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Norm

Retired Administrator
Why not ask your question in the main TK70 thread?

Thread Merge - Norm

bickford

Newly Enlightened
TOnight I have done test of autonomy for TK70.

With 4 Nimh Cells D - NX-READY 8000mAh.
The autonomy in Turbo mode is : 61 minutes.

BICKFORD

Enlightened
Guys! I think you might want to re-do your readings, because i find that this light is focussed real far. I am getting close to 100k for further distances instead of 80s for 8m distance. I'd need to go to my 50m range but it'll be 23hrs from now as my Sky Garden is closed. heh....
Maybe that 130kcd is real.

This is much exaggerated, but think of a aspheric lens that is defocused. If you look at the beam through fog you'd see that perhaps 2m away it is really the most collimated, while 0.5m is less intense, and 10m is even less intense.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wondering when will TK-hundred comes out...

I predict next year between march and june. My wallet hopes I'm wrong and it'll be another 22 months or so...
I hope for something around 4000 lumens or more. I did some testing with 2 TK70's and now wish I didn't do that. Double the TK70's power and you get something that really really looks like daytime in a tree ~120 meters away. You'd need binoculars to spot the monkeys in that tree, but they would certainly cover theit eyes, or perhaps just fall off like coconuts in a hurricane...

Enlightened
I did some testing with 2 TK70's and now wish I didn't do that. Double the TK70's power and you get something that really really looks like daytime in a tree ~120 meters away. .

Well I have 6 x triple XM-Ls. :D 4 of them direct drives, but too bad i don't get cold weather here. The output can really be boosted with cold weather. (tested many many times, including dry ice)

I wonder if there will be a TK70 neutral.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just did some lux measurements on my TK70. I measured at 5 meters and corrected back to 1 meter. Here is what I got as compared to some other lights:

Fenix TK70 = 86,500 lux @ 1 meter
Lambda lights 3C XML = 68,250 lux @ 1 meter (this light is WAY smaller than the TK70)
Olight M3X = 42,000 lux @ 1 meter
EagleTac M3C4 single XML = 45,250 lux @ 1 meter
4sevens Maelstrom X10 = 21,000 lux @ 1 meter
Sunwayman M40A XML = 24,500 lux @ 1 meter

At some point I will measure other lights too. Clearly the TK70 is nowhere near the claimed 130,000 lux @ 1 meter.

Edit: I just tried measureing again using Tenergy 10,000mAh cells in the TK70. I got 88,750 lux @ 1 meter. The 86,500 was using AccuEvolution 10,000mAh cells. I went back and forth a few times and the Tenergy cells always perform a bit better.

Edit2: 90,000 lux @ 1 meter
with Tenergy 10,000mAh cells freshly off the charger

It is starting to look like better cells bring more output despite the regulation. I am still nowhere near the Fenix claimed 130,000 lux @ 1 meter. I am starting to think Fenix fudges their ANSI/FL1 standard numbers since nobody got the claimed 56,000 lux @ 1 meter with the TK41 either.

Last edited:

bickford

Newly Enlightened
I just did some lux measurements on my TK70. I measured at 5 meters and corrected back to 1 meter. Here is what I got as compared to some other lights:

Fenix TK70 = 86,500 lux @ 1 meter
Lambda lights 3C XML = 68,250 lux @ 1 meter (this light is WAY smaller than the TK70)
Olight M3X = 42,000 lux @ 1 meter
EagleTac M3C4 single XML = 45,250 lux @ 1 meter
4sevens Maelstrom X10 = 21,000 lux @ 1 meter

At some point I will measure other lights too. Clearly the TK70 is nowhere near the claimed 130,000 lux @ 1 meter.

A test with Olight SR 90 and with Polarion PH40 will be very interesting !! thanks !!

BICK

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I realized my Lambda 3C XML had been used for about 30 minutes and the batteries were partially dead. I charged the TK70 cells and 3C XML cells and re-tested fresh off the charger.

Here is what I got:

Fenix TK70 = 90,000 lux @ 1 meter
Lambda 3C XML = 81,750 lux @ 1 meter

The Mag-Lite 3C body and head look tiny next to the huge TK70 but the little 3C Mag-lite (highly modded) nearly keeps up with the TK70 in terms of throw. This is also what my eyes see outside. beam shots to come later.

Enlightened
Hi guys, about 6 posts earlier i mentioned that i originally got like you know 80s range. I measured at nearly 13 metres and got 97k lux @ 1m converted. I then tried 8 metres again and got the low 80s figure.

Please do not measure at 4 metres, 5 metres or 10 metres. This light is focussed real far that close readings, seemingly far ones like 8m, could be way off. I think tonight i will 50 metres. There is a possibility that close to 130k is true. Actually there is a current topic being discussed right now at BLF, and others have found other lights to be true too. Focus.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys, about 6 posts earlier i mentioned that i originally got like you know 80s range. I measured at nearly 13 metres and got 97k lux @ 1m converted[/COLOR].[/B] I then tried 8 metres again and got the low 80s figure.

Please do not measure at 4 metres, 5 metres or 10 metres.[/COLOR][/B] This light is focussed real far that close readings, seemingly far ones like 8m, could be way off. I think tonight i will 50 metres. There is a possibility that close to 130k is true. Actually there is a current topic being discussed right now at BLF, and others have found other lights to be true too. Focus.

I really believe they are reporting the figures they have actually tested using the ANSI/NEMI FL1 spec:

2.3.3 Conditions
Tests will be conducted at lab conditions—see clause 2.1.1.

Testing should be performed in a dark environment where the ambient conditions are determined to be
less than 1 lux in the entire test area prior to the test.

If the device offers multiple output levels, the peak beam intensity will be measured at the maximum level
or as otherwise identified.

If the device has variable focusing or adjustable beam angle, the peak beam intensity will be measured at
the focus level or beam angle that produces the maximum beam intensity or as otherwise identified.

2.3.4 Apparatus
A timing device, a distance measuring device, and a light measuring device that measures in units of lux
shall be used. Minimum aperture area shall be 100 mm².

2.3.5 Procedures
Place the light measuring device at a test distance of either 2 or 10 or 30 meters from the front of the
surface of the lens of the device to be tested.
The test distance chosen shall be at least 10 times the
largest dimension of the device's lens or output height or width.

Use the light measuring device to identify and record the highest indicated value.

Measurements shall be taken 30 s to 2 min of turning on the device.

2.3.6 Final calculations

Surface light intensity x (distance)2
= Peak beam intensity
where:
Surface light intensity is in lux (lx)
Distance is in meters (m)
Peak beam intensity is in candela (cd)

The reported value shall be the highest calculated peak beam intensity of the values measured at test
distances in clause 2.3.5.

The published figure shall be the average of the results of the three devices tested. Round to whole
numbers following standard rounding rules.

So maybe they tested at 30 meters, as that is a permitted distance under the standard guidelines.

I have no lux meter, but everything else such as runtimes is within claimed spec in my case at least.

Last edited:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. I'll start measuring everything at 10 meters. 2 meters is too close for just about any light. I will have to try measuring the TK70 again at 10 meters and 30 meters. Thanks sabgab and 2100. I can manages 10 meters indoors but 30 meters will require going outside.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. I'll start measuring everything at 10 meters. 2 meters is too close for just about any light. I will have to try measuring the TK70 again at 10 meters and 30 meters. Thanks sabgab and 2100. I can manages 10 meters indoors but 30 meters will require going outside.

If you're interested, they also specify ambient temperature and humidity tolerances for the testing. Also they have to test 3 final production samples, they can't be special prototypes with specially selected emitters or anything sneaky like that.

2.1.1 Lab Conditions
Lab conditions shall be a controlled temperature of 22 ± 3 °C and a relative humidity of 50% nominal,
80% maximum.

Ambient light conditions shall be the minimum of the following two options: 1 lux or no more than 10% of
the lowest value measured during any test.

Designated (light) measuring equipment shall be annually calibrated by an accredited commercial third
party service showing traceability to NIST standards. Records shall be kept of the calibration history.

2.1.2 Sampling Selection
All samples must be representative of final production products. If multiple light output grades are used in
the product, the test specimens must use the lowest light output grade offered.

pbi3tE

qTAGXv

-source

Last edited:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks again samgab. I have a large room in the basement with no windows that is on a separate climate control so I can arrange that.

Enlightened
Yep, thanks for the info. Issue is that our lux meters are all over the place and not standardised. But no issue, we'll just take it as it is. Will do 30m and 50m.
I just tried again, 5m i got only 75k! LOL! 2980 lux @ 5m. And immediately after that I did 592 lux at 12.5m, which is 92.5k.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, thanks for the info. Issue is that our lux meters are all over the place and not standardised. But no issue, we'll just take it as it is. Will do 30m and 50m.
I just tried again, 5m i got only 75k! LOL! 2980 lux @ 5m. And immediately after that I did 592 lux at 12.5m, which is 92.5k.

Yeah, that's exactly it. Unless one is using properly calibrated equipment in a controlled setting, the main use of these home lux readings is as a direct comparison; eg: Flashlight A got X result, compared with Flashlight B which got Y result under the same test conditions. I don't think the absolute values can be taken too seriously though.