Fenix TK20: Is the Hype in the Light?

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
Hey everybody! i just got my TK20, and i love it for the most part! it has a nice tint to my eyes, i donno about others. it wasnt bluish it wasnt sickly yellow or brown,...it was nice...i think people that are use to incans ( like someone has mention already ) will like this led

the beam on a white wall does have some weird rings and i can notice some kinda weird blank spot in the hot spot? i donno if that makes sence...but i believe this has to do with the smooth reflector.

mines is running in alkilines...im kinda surpized, cant wait to get eneloops this sunday!

my personal cons of the light, the light is a bit long for my taste, and its head is heavy. and i hate hate hate the grip im tempted to cut it off....

EDIT: well my hands were kinda damp yesterady, so i decided " hey let me check out the grip on the TK20, and its pretty good with wet hands! i think i might just keep it on.....maybe...LOL

but besides that, this light fits my needs really well =] im happy

Last edited:

kurni

Enlightened
I don't have any TK20, but Dereelight 5A Q2; Fenix can't be warmer than 5A.

I enjoy the warm tint very much. It's good outdoor; and I'm getting used to the indoor. It may look slightly off if I use it beside white LEDs, but it's it's a very good trade off IMO. Again, it's subjective as I'm really getting used to the warm tint.

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello,
Last night I ordered a TK20 from Fenix-store. I am a bit surprised there seem to be no reviews of this light. Little is found on it, here on cpf. To me it seems an interesting light though: running on 2AA and having decent throw (though not as much as my Tiablo A9, I guess).

Are there any others who can exchange experiences with a Fenix TK20?

Many thanks,
Joris

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
lol, i dont think many people like this light for some reason. and i think the main reason is the grip LOL..but thats just my guess. and maybe a weaker ammount of lumens,

at far range, outside, the TK20 throws pretty far, compared to my p3d Q5, i know the reflector is diffrent sizes, but yea it def throws pretty well. up close, the hot spot is quite small compared to my p3d or my E2d ( sorry i dont have anything better to refrence it to )

oh ya, its pretty much as long as the tiablo a9....and heavyer than the tiablo a9

Question, is there a beam diffuser for this tk20? its head diamiter i believe is: 34.1 millimeters = 1.34251969 in

any body?

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Hello,
Last night I ordered a TK20 from Fenix-store. I am a bit surprised there seem to be no reviews of this light. Little is found on it, here on cpf. To me it seems an interesting light though: running on 2AA and having decent throw (though not as much as my Tiablo A9, I guess).

Are there any others who can exchange experiences with a Fenix TK20?

Many thanks,
Joris

I ordered one last night as well.I think that most people that have an issue with this light is because they most likely are not going to use it as it was designed for .I'm a hunter,hiker camper and spend a bunch of time in the woods so the size works good for me as i don't have it yet all i can say is that a rubber grip should work very well in the rain/snow and the tint should be great outdoors.An every day carry it ain't, but it should make a great backwoods light Ill let u all know how it is in that department when i get it.Hey anyone notice it's getting dark a lot earlier now!

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello,

For many years I carried a Maglite 6C (with rechargeable batteries for "regulated" output). It had a good throw and could illuminate objects at quite a distance. It may not be a Tiablo A9, but it did the job anyway.
Do you think the TK20 would throw as far as a 6 cell Maglite?

Kind regards,
Joris

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Hello,

For many years I carried a Maglite 6C (with rechargeable batteries for "regulated" output). It had a good throw and could illuminate objects at quite a distance. It may not be a Tiablo A9, but it did the job anyway.
Do you think the TK20 would throw as far as a 6 cell Maglite?

Kind regards,
Joris

No chance of the TK20 out throwing a 6 cell mag! If the mag does one thing well it' throw.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 6D is a bit of a beast in terms of throw. Despite an awful lumens/size ratio, it does pump out a respectable amount of output and with the large reflector at full focus puts most of it in a very small hotspot. TBH, in terms of throw/lux numbers, you're hard pressed to beat a 6D mag. The TK20 certainly won't.

Modern_Major_General

Newly Enlightened
Runtime is slightly shorter than advertised.
fenixtk20runtimeenglf9.gif

Any chance of doing an alkaline runtime test? Thanks for the results.

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
the TK20 isnt a major thrower like the 6 cell mag or tiablo, but it def surpized me when i saw how far it can go. i got a tiablo also...but i need to find some where to test it out...because so far im not impressed by the tiablo......22hornet did make a good point, this flashlight was made for the outdoors! i gotta keep that in mind.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
can the head come apart for led or reflector swapping?

Rat6P

Enlightened
Ok. Where can I get Eneloop 2700mah???????

I was under the impression they were only 2000mah!
All the ones I see in the shops are only 2000mah

Looking at the runtimes I am assuming this is a mistake

:shrug:

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was under the impression they were only 2000mah!
All the ones I see in the shops are only 2000mah

Looking at the runtimes I am assuming this is a mistake

:shrug:
It is a mistake, I assume jirik_cz was using NIMH Sanyo 2700's.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry, just a copy&paste typo :whistle:

Runtime in general mode:
fenixtk20generalzo0.gif

Modern_Major_General: Sorry no alkalines, but I would expect the same runtime as L2T has (here)

qip: The head is glued