Fenix TK22 is upgraded,max 920 lumens.

sparraz

Newly Enlightened
I have both flashlights with me and 2014 Edition is only marginally brighter side by side than TK22 Special Edition. It's also possible that this slight difference comes from different tints - 2014 Edition has cool white emitter so it appears whiter. Lower modes are also brighter but with shorter runtimes. I think TK22 SE is a better choice - it's basically equally bright, has the same throw, better tint, better regulation and longer runtimes.

Thanks - so it sounds like it will be pretty tough to tell the difference and perhaps not all too important anyway ;-).

I appreciate the information - its great that you have both to compare directly. Your advice is well taken, I may see if I can still cancel my order and get the SE instead; although I am sure I will be fine with either light - Thanks again!

Scott

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
still sticking up for the 2014 edition vs the old ones. Still running mine on 2xcr123 Panasonic 1550mah cells but will be switching to Orbtronic rcr123 700mah rechargeables. The Panasonics just got to expensive to keep feeding to the 2014 edition. As for output it is still one of my best lights. I dont notice any stepdown at all until 30 minutes. The TK22 is still what I consider to be the standard when it comes to tactical lights. Why? Metal tactical ring, more compact than other tac lights of similar outputs and the beam out of it is HUGE and very well defined I just wish the tint was less purple

sparraz

Newly Enlightened
still sticking up for the 2014 edition vs the old ones. Still running mine on 2xcr123 Panasonic 1550mah cells but will be switching to Orbtronic rcr123 700mah rechargeables. The Panasonics just got to expensive to keep feeding to the 2014 edition. As for output it is still one of my best lights. I dont notice any stepdown at all until 30 minutes. The TK22 is still what I consider to be the standard when it comes to tactical lights. Why? Metal tactical ring, more compact than other tac lights of similar outputs and the beam out of it is HUGE and very well defined I just wish the tint was less purple

I didn't realize you could run the RCR batteries in the TK 22 – I didn't see that in the literature…

I have ordered a pair of Panasonic protected 18650 batteries and a charger – I am new to 18650 cells, I hope they fit and work okay in this light.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can easily fit the new 3600mah 18650 Panasonic based Orbtronic cells in my TK22 just fine. You will be fine with any Panasonic based 18650 cell in this light the 18650 cells give much longer runtimes anyways. If you want to experiment with some solid cr123's for the full on 1000 lumens the light is capable of have at it just remember that the light devours cr123 cells and youd have to change them out frequently.

sparraz

Newly Enlightened
I can easily fit the new 3600mah 18650 Panasonic based Orbtronic cells in my TK22 just fine. You will be fine with any Panasonic based 18650 cell in this light the 18650 cells give much longer runtimes anyways. If you want to experiment with some solid cr123's for the full on 1000 lumens the light is capable of have at it just remember that the light devours cr123 cells and youd have to change them out frequently.

Thanks! I have a feeling I will be fine with the 18650s. Are you running protected or unprotected? I have read some pros and cons here and I'm new to this kind of cell. I ordered protected thinking it would be a safer bet.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Protected all the way. I dont care if a light is engineered FULL of overcharge, overheat etc protections I still always run protected. Having one of these power packed 18650 cells burst into flames while in a light due to no protection circuits built in is not something I want to experience...most protected cells nowdays deliver just as much juice as unprotected so. I recommend Orbtronic. They are expensive but are purpose designed for high drain lights with protection circuits that have looser tolerances vs standard protected. The protection circuits in them are custom designed by Seiko and made then assembled in Japan. YES protected is a far safer bet. A charged 18650 blowing up is like having a flashbang grenade go off

sparraz

Newly Enlightened
Protected all the way. I dont care if a light is engineered FULL of overcharge, overheat etc protections I still always run protected. Having one of these power packed 18650 cells burst into flames while in a light due to no protection circuits built in is not something I want to experience...most protected cells nowdays deliver just as much juice as unprotected so. I recommend Orbtronic. They are expensive but are purpose designed for high drain lights with protection circuits that have looser tolerances vs standard protected. The protection circuits in them are custom designed by Seiko and made then assembled in Japan. YES protected is a far safer bet. A charged 18650 blowing up is like having a flashbang grenade go off

Thanks! I went with these:

2 Panasonic NCR18650B 18650 3400mAh 3.7v Protected Button Top Batteries https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NUI47OY/?tag=cpf0b6-20

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have those and they fit in TK22 perfectly.
I didn't realize you could run the RCR batteries in the TK 22 – I didn't see that in the literature…
Fenix says that 3.7V RCR123s are "banned" so you're using them at your own risk.
Still running mine on 2xcr123 Panasonic 1550mah cells but will be switching to Orbtronic rcr123 700mah rechargeables.
RCRs have very low capacity, actual runtimes are about 3x shorter than with 1x18650 cell.
(...)the beam out of it is HUGE and very well defined I just wish the tint was less purple
There's one solution - TK22 Special Edition. It has very nice NW tint but not very yellowish, closer to daylight.

sparraz

Newly Enlightened
I have those and they fit in TK22 perfectly.

There's one solution - TK22 Special Edition. It has very nice NW tint but not very yellowish, closer to daylight.

Good to know – thanks!

My 2014 "Regular" edition has already shipped – I have gotten kind of used to the bright white color temperature of LEDs, I am interested to see what this one looks like.

It's interesting how the eye and the brain work; After using LEDs, incandescent flashlights look so yellow to me now where they never did before.

Scott

Last edited: