Finally, an LED light that rivals an incan's color rendering

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's why I'm saying to use a locked custom one if you want to show the difference. Otherwise you can manipulate it, it gets skewed or isn't a true representation. You need to lock it so you can actually see the difference. You're right about the CRI system. I'm just saying even for a quick and dirty compare you should lock a CWB. I'm talking about comparing color rendering.

. . .

No.

The white balance was manipulated to make each image LOOK LIKE WHAT I SAW WITH MY EYES. It was not manipulated in order to skew the image. It was not arbitrary.

Locking the WB would indeed have shown a much greater difference, but it would have been totally unnatural and would not have corresponded with what I had actually seen.

I am the standard. Me. My eyes, my judgement. To the extent that someone trusts me and my perception, they will trust those pictures. That far, and no more. Many, it is true, feel that the camera "tells the truth" (somehow) because it is an objective, repeatable source. That if you just lock all the settings and run with it, that's what it really looks like.

Not true. Check out any of the many conventional beamshots with the bright hotspot surrounded by darkness, then take the exact same light out into the field (or to the white wall) and turn it on. Do you see what is in the beamshot? No. Not really. And that's because the camera has a much lower dynamic range than the eye. The camera is not the eye.

I dispense with all such objectivity when it strays from fidelity. I want my pictures to be as close as I can possibly make them to what I see with my own eyes. It's not perfect, it's somewhat subjective, but it's a whole lot better than locking all the settings.

Last edited:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
orcinus,

I've been studying the images, and I would say that the top image is the 083.

Is that really the Cree? If so, WOW. Impressive.

SaturnNyne

Enlightened
JS, I apologize for contributing to dragging things off course. I know you've already had to step in once in this thread; if I've gone too far in giving a full response here, please let me know and I'll edit it down for you. For everyone else here for the CRI discussion, you may disregard this tangent and you won't miss any valuable contribution.

Perhaps you missed my point. Even an IPOD with the best earphones, is a comprise, because the very compressed sound files used in an IPOD are missing a lot of sonic information present in a real live performance, if you are lucky enough to hear one. . .Sure better earphones, like better speakers, make some difference, but they will never replace the weakest link in the chain, which in the case of IPODS is the compressed recorded file.
Hm, that seemed more contentious than called for. I made a friendly post in response to a topic I also enjoy, so I hope I wasn't as offensive as the tone of this response suggests and I'll try to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume I'm reading more into it than was intended. Perhaps you missed my point: you're making a good analogy and I agree with it, but I'd like to interject a quick and polite comment on the reality of the view presented, since it's something that interests me and the one you provided is skewed a little to work better within the context of your analogy. To extend your "best earphones/compromise" back into the analogy of audio and flashlights, would it also be fair to say that even a pocketable flashlight with the best LED is still a compromise because it runs on low-quality, off-brand, PRC-manufactured CR123s? Of course not. It may still be a compromise (it's not the actual sun), but it's not entirely because of what it's filled with, though that is one potential problem. The user has the option of putting batteries of adequate quality in it, and they do exist. Perhaps somewhere you missed your own point? You're using a view that is generally true to broadly paint every member of a very large and diverse group. So, neverminding the fact that ipods and many other players can play lossless formats that make your argument against their compression irrelevant... Garbage in garbage out is true, obviously. If you're pushing a badly compressed file through a great system, you're only going to hear the flaws more clearly. But have you compared current generation mp3 files at various bitrates using audiophile quality home gear and reference headphones? Are you qualified to make such categorical judgments? Maybe you have. I have too. Maybe you're speaking based on your own unbiased test results, in which case it's perfectly valid, but only for you, and you'd be an exceptional case from the majority. Not only are my LAME encodings good, they're better than I'd ever need portably (whatever gear I might be using) since they're encoded with the idea that it can also be used as a more convenient home source hooked up to bigger gear without a huge loss of quality. They're not the weak link. So, as someone who has done too much time on head-fi, I can confidently say you're flat out wrong on that point. Compression will, by definition, reduce the quality of the audio file, but it has come a long way and it's no longer accurate to simply say that you lose "a lot," as long as you allow them the bitrate they need. In the case of an ipod, the bottleneck is not necessarily the encoded file, it's more likely the quality of the player's built in amp (but there are ways around that, of course). And in a home environment with solid equipment, I've found it does not take long before the limiting factor is actually the quality of the original recording (followed by quality of normal human ears). Not the compression, not the gear, not ignorance of what is objectively correct; the recording on the CD. Sometimes this is caused by a low budget (low quality equipment and engineers). More often this is caused by too high a budget (big record companies telling the mastering company to ruin it). That's actually what allowed me to reach something of an end in that hobby; I found a combination I liked the sound of and realized that the recordings I mostly listen to are already not as good as what I'm listening with, so there's no longer very strong justification to keep moving up the ladder. It's like having a flashlight that can already project across the longest distance you'll ever encounter in your daily world; why look for more throw. In the end, the hobby is about the music and the gear is only the medium between. Just as the flashlight hobby is, to me at least, about the illumination and use, not the highest specs and pursuit of the latest almost imperceptibly brighter led.

You only have to compare the sound reproduction of an IPOD to that of a a Super AUDIO CD recording played back on a quality sound system to hear what is sonically missing.
Yes and no. This assumes that the original master is good enough for SACD to provide benefit and that the listener has good enough ears and enough listening experience to pick up on the subtleties. I have mp3, I have CD, I have SACD, I have DVD-A, and I've worked on 96k/24bit in a professional studio. A better quality medium will provide better sound, naturally, but whether it is perceived by the listener is another matter. We're talking small detail differences if everything is done correctly and fairly. I've found in the past that I had a tendency to fool myself with "novel" formats. SACD blew my mind at first... until I later tried the same recording on CD and had to admit that the vast majority of what I was hearing was just that it was a fantastic recording to begin with, just as any legitimate SA recording should be. Since then, I've found more enjoyable CDs that are astonishingly well recorded than I've found SACDs of music I'm interested in listening to, so I've given up on the format, technically impressive though it is. To over-stress the obviousness of high res differences seems to go against your earlier point, that it can be difficult for someone inside a hobby to understand the insignificance of its finer details to those not on the same wavelength. The hi-res difference is dramatically smaller than the sundrop difference. In truth, both are rather insignificant to all but a few buyers/users, as you already were starting to say earlier.

Audiophiles spend a fortune to have as close to a live sound experience in their living rooms as they can get.
Again, this is basically true but a narrow-minded generalization of what it means to be an audiophile. If that's what it means to you, that's absolutely fine and perfectly valid, and I would even agree that what you're describing is the most pure form of audiophilia. However, it can take many forms in either direction from that. I long ago read that there are many audiophiles in, I believe, Hong Kong who don't even listen to music. They buy the gear and test it on tones and reference vocal samples, not music. That's pure gear fetishism and it disgusts me a little since it cuts out what I see as the most important aspect of the hobby, but I have to acknowledge that it is also a very pure expression of one aspect of the same thing. It could even be argued that it's the purest form, though I'd disagree simply because it removes it entirely from what I perceive to be the original intention, cutting out a fundamental aspect. On the other side, where I've ended up, are those who focus on euphony and want excellent quality with a focus on the music more than a pursuit of some objective audio truth. I think it's elitist and condescending to try to exclude those who vary from one parochial view of the hobby, just as you would probably not like the test tone fellows saying their way is the one true way and your chosen form is heretical, and just as I don't care for the suggestion that my path is impure because it openly accepts personal preference and tastes instead of standing firm on only hardline neutrality. Your view is accurate in a generalized sense, but limited in scope.

That said, it should be acknowledged that we both have our biases. You seem to have a focus on pure, objective neutrality in order to reproduce what you hear in live music. I also find live music to be best (and dislike the plastic-sounding sterility of overly produced studio work), but I have no problem admitting that I sometimes enjoy the clarity of a well recorded live performance over the more natural sonic blending of actually being there. That's the human element, not just on the performer's side but on the listener's as well; there is no sin in not making the utmost effort to plug the mic feed directly into your temporal lobes. We do it for enjoyment and should make a priority of our enjoyment.

A lot of the sound we hear is synthesized, distorted, and poorly amplified even before it is recorded. So that's where the garbage reallly starts, and why it often difficult to distinguish mp3 files from less compressed sound formats. The only real live music left in abundance is classical music or jazz, by which you can judge the qualitfy of sound recording and reproduction.) Perhaps, in some way it is a good thing we don't have real live performances. It is a lot easier and lot cheaper when we don't know what we are missing with our IPODS.
A lot of modern music is synthesized, but I don't think that justifies passing judgement over it as not "real" music. Is jazz not real because it makes use of an electric guitar? There's a big difference between an amplified instrument and a synthesizer, but judging one to be fake because of that difference requires choosing where to draw the line, which usually ends up being nothing more than a reflection of our personal tastes. Many who do not care for jazz might question whether it is "real" music, but for very different reasons. It sounds like you'd disagree with the line their tastes have drawn.

If he is happy, who is such a snob that he should should say he shouldn't be?
Agreed. Exactly.

And I've reached the point where I realize we're just thread crapping now. But I'm really curious, why do you make it sound like we live in some live music free dystopia? Is there really so little wherever you are? I attend and record live concerts pretty regularly (much of it unamplified classical guitar lately) and could go to far far more if I desired. I've never viewed that as so uncommon, or the live music scene as so dead, but maybe I'm in a fortunate area. I'm curious to hear an answer to that last part, but if you feel like you must continue the rest of this discussion further, please do it privately so we don't splash any more mud on JS's fine thread. Sorry that ended up being such a rant; I just want to get my points across and respond to what I take issue with, but I have a couple years of stupid head-fi bickering bottled up.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
wacbzz,

I don't think the 083 High CRI would be considered "new" relative to the LED changes and advancements we are aware of here on CPF. I purchased these 11 months ago. The Nichia rep who I consider a friend at this point, told me that he had some customers who were quite pleased with the High CRI 083 LED's they were using. That puts these into play last year.

By using the term new, I was really meaning to both me and - it seems - CPF as well. Perhaps I missed out on all the other lights that happen to use this LED, but I don't think so. Being "aware of" an LED advancement and it actually being used are really two different things. The lack of flashlights using this LED is really a testament to what I am saying.

I personally like the color rendition from this LED. I, however, am not financially able, nor am I willing, to pay what I consider an extreme price for a flashlight. This is not a knock on the Sundrop at all. I understand why it commands the price that it does. But every one of the lights that I have are very much users and I personally would not use a light that I paid that much for every day. I don't put my lights in a box and then hope to sell them when times get tough for an high premium.

I hardly think the price for this LED is keeping it out of the hands of manufacturers that can produce a light that is waaay under $400. That is the light I am looking for.

That is way I stated that I hope this thread is kept updated...:twothumbs

I happened to be exposed to the Zebra Light here on CPF and after seeing some pictures of it, I bought one. I don't need it or use it for that matter but only because I have my own lights that serve in similar fashion. I think it is a great light with wonderful utility. I know there are some here on CPF who would agree but would such a light ever enjoy mass appeal? I think it would be a good host for the High CRI 083 but will this ever happen? A reel of 083's consists of 1400 LED's. Would Zebra consider committing to a run of 1400 High CRI models that would have to compete with their existing light that enjoys much greater flux numbers?

Zebralight seemingly does enjoy mass appeal. Simply look at the dealers that now carry the light as opposed to when it first arrived on the scene so to speak. But this is exactly what I am talking about. Are we so sure that they do know about the 083's? All of their lights are not specifically concerned with the "super high output" and I feel that they would benefit from using a light source like the 083.

Just one man's opinion, but I am definitley looking for another light that uses this seemingly awesome LED...:thumbsup:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys,

If this is mud splashing, call me a pig! BRING IT ON! As the orginator of this thread, I approve of this line of discussion. Perhaps it would indeed best be split off into a separate thread and moved to the CAFE, and that can certainly be done with a few clicks and keystrokes, but for now, let's keep it here unless people object.

What I like about this is that it seems to be making my point earlier, to some degree. Both sound and color are partly (or wholly!) subjective affairs, and people disagree even over benchmarks and standards. It's not a clear, rational, objective realm.

SaturnNyne,

I too have recently been spending a lot of time over at head-fi, and been learning all about AAC and ALAC and DAC's and AMP's and 24/96 and all that. It all started when I bought my Macbook Pro. I won't go into the whole story, but I've been tracking down all the various components of the sound quality in an effort to improve things, and I've done careful listening back and forth between the 256k bit-rate ("best" setting for AAC in iTunes) and AIF (linear, no compression whatsoever), and while I think I can hear a difference, it isn't much of a difference. I have an NAD preamp and amp, a Rotel CD player, Grado SR-225 headphones, and Energy 22 speakers.

But one thing I do know for sure: high fidelity is not dead! iPods, even with the lower rate AAC files, sound a whole heck of a lot better than the portable tape-decks I had growing up. And better even than my crappy record player that came with my first stereo. AAC may not be for audiophiles, but it's actually pretty darned good, and is highly unlikely to be the limiting factor in the chain for most people. But then, most people aren't audiophiles either.

Go to head-fi, though, and you'll see that a great many audiophiles have amazing portable systems built around an iPod touch using ALAC (lossless compression scheme), with maybe a portable amp like an iBasso D3, and with some serious in-ear-headphones like the Shure SE530 or ER-4P or even one of the Ultimate Ears models. Or if not portable, you will find a lot of people using their computers as the audio source sending digital info via USB or FireWire or TOSLINK to a DAC, to a headphone amp, to a serious pair of headphones.

High fidelity is far from dead! It's as strong as ever, as far as I can see, and for the average person, fidelity has improved over the last 20 years. It's spotty, and it's a generalization; -- but, in general, I think it has.

Just my two cents.

Oh, and SaturnNyne, I'm getting an Apogee Duet in a few days! Looking forward to bypassing the DAC/AMP in my MBP, I can tell you that.

SaturnNyne

Enlightened
Wow JS, that's a very nice setup you've got! :twothumbs As you said, fidelity is not dead at all; and it's actually within easier reach than ever. With good quality sound now available at a price that allows almost anyone with some dedication to get started in it, it seems more people than ever are showing an interest in what they put between their ears.

I think my best tip (not the best tip, just the best I've found) for comparing different bitrates is to listen to splash above the fundamental sound of a well recorded cymbal. I've found that a LAME mp3 at 128 has a dull splash with no real decay, just a drone and then silence. At 192 it begins to sound natural again. By 320 I'm unable to distinguish it in direct comparison with the source CD.

I don't have experience with most of the stuff you have, but I've tried out the SR-225 and own the similar HF-1; fantastic rock headphones! Also really beautiful on intimate acoustic recordings, such as string quartets, and I think Grado does violin quite well. My own portable system is usually pretty minimal these days since I don't listen all that much when on the go, but my home setup is much as you described. Either NAD CDP or computer as source, digital feed by coaxial or usb into Headroom Micro DAC, Cardas cable to HR Micro Amp with desktop module, usually powering a Beyerdynamic DT880. Then, when using the cdp, I have another line running to a cheap sub to add in when I feel like adding some color. Here's the complete list, if you're curious:
http://www.head-fi.org/.../saturnnyne/

So, would you say your audio tastes also follow your light tastes, as mine do?

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
orcinus,

Just to be clear, I really appreciate your posts in this thread! And thanks so much for taking the time to play with those images to make your point.

--they ARE made from the two different images in my post, right?-- Impressive.

I wanted to be stress that I do largely agree with you, but not entirely. It's funny, because tebore is suggesting that CCT matters so much you just shouldn't correct for it at all, but should lock it to show the difference in the two sources. You, on the other hand, seem to be saying that the brain, like photohop, can and does just simply adjust to the CCT, and thus it doesn't really matter for color reproduction.

I think the truth is in between. I think our eyes, our brains, do adjust, which is why if I take a picture with my camera set to daylight, under incandescent lighting, the picture will be outrageously yellow compared to what I actually saw (or perceived, if you will). However, I don't think we can adjust so much that viewing an amazing painting by candlelight will yield exactly the same experience as viewing it by sunlight, direct or indirect.

Undoubtedly, the sunlight quality of the 083 isn't such an huge plus that everyone is going to start switching to them for all uses, all cases, against the disadvantages. I will continue to EDC my LunaSol 20, for example. However, I can tell you that if Don gave me a choice between an LS20 that had Sundrop quality light (or CCT light) and one that didn't, then I would pay a premium for it in a second.

Anyway, it seems to me that if you truly hold that the brain more or less completely adapts to CCT, then you should hold that CRI is all that matters, and one can compare CRI's of different sources against each other without bothering to worry about what the CCT of each one was. Right? Explain to me why you disagree with that. I must be misunderstanding your position somewhat here.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hm, that seemed more contentious than called for. I made a friendly post in response to a topic I also enjoy, so I hope I wasn't as offensive as the tone of this response suggests and I'll try to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume I'm reading more into it than was intended. .

Hmmm... I am sorry if what I wrote seemed contentious. It was not my intention. You see again, using this text media, you can't tell always tell the tone of what I am saying. There is missing information in the text, just like there is missing information in compressed files. You fill in the gaps, but not always the way it was originally intended. Perhaps, I should have apologized for my original post, that I didn't make myself more clear.
In any case, because this discussion has more to do with audio than light, I think we should carry this on as PM. I publicly, however, wish to apologize to you, if I in any way I offended you even inadvertently.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
SaturnNyne,

Yes, that's exactly where I thought I could hear the difference: way up high in the overtones. Cymbals, sibilence, and electronic effects up there. But I specifically had to listen for it. The high bit rate AAC is supposed to be just as good as, or better than, the 320 MP3, so I'm hoping that I don't have to re-rip all my CD's to lossless, but we shall see what happens when I get my Duet.

As for the Grado's and my musical taste, I love rock, pop, R&B, acoustic, alternative, but also classical, especially piano and string ensembes, such as quartets and symphonies. My system isn't really anywhere near high-end, but I enjoy it, and that's the most important thing. It should be all about the music, in my opinion. I tend to drift into being a gear-head and getting all analytical and losing the music. I mothballed my system for a year once because I kept not enjoying the music for worry about a defect in the sound (output solenoids in the NAD 2200 were going), and I listened to a crappy CD boombox for a year. The sound was bad. Bad to the point where I stopped focusing on it, and just got into the music. Since then, I've been able to do both, and it was an amazing thing to return to my Energy's and NAD 2200.

Anyway, I'll check out your head-fi listing!

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
BabyDoc,

I appreciated your posts as well, by the way! I actually think that the ensuing discussion was/is profitable, and does relate to the whole color rendering issue. But it's fine to move everything to PM or to the CAFE.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, I just spent 10 minutes or so with the same setup and with the same two lights, going back and forth in various intervals, and first of all, I am standing by the pictures I posted in the first thread. Those two images are very close to what the reality looks like to me.

Second, I wonder, what would happen, orcinus, if you left the 083 image alone, and only modified the Cree one? Both of the images in your post are more highly saturated and brightened and have different contrasts than the reality. It reminds me of British TV vs. American, like old All Creatures Great and Small landscapes vs. the saturated, processed images on modern nature programs and such-like. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that artificially processing both images so much may have degraded the fidelity and made it harder to identify the higher CRI light source image.

Also, it occurs to me that both of the jpg images in your post have been compressed three times. Once in the camera, once in the re-sizing for posting on CPF, and then once more after your processing. JPG is a lossy format. That also could be another source of the difficulty of ascertaining which is which.

And, then, of course, they are just plain low-res images, 800 pixels wide vs. the almost 4,000 pixels of the original.

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my opinion, it says that both sources are full enough spectrum, with no holes and spikes present in the important areas, for this set of images that nearly the same amount of color information is present in both of the pictures I posted in the first post of this thread.

YES! That's exactly what i was trying to say too!
Haven't i? :)

But, what if the images were of a painting with many different shades of red? And what if the observer were an artist or art critic? What then? Then, I would be willing to bet, this fancy digital footwork would not be enough.

Ah, but here's where the key part comes to focus - the CRI has been defined almost exactly the way you took your photos! Except for the white balance, of course, but let's forget that for the moment.

It's been defined as a test of color reproduction of a set of color patches. In fact, it has recently been redefined to use practically the very same color patches you've used (xrite). Furthermore, it's been defined in a very dubious manner - it uses one color space for evaluation of light sources colder than 5000K (planckian black body) and another for the evaluation of light sources warmer than 5000K (CIE or its variations).

I am NOT trying to debate the validity and usefulness of high-CRI emitters, i'm debating the way we evaluate them and demonstrate their advantages.

What does that matter? I'm not an instant computer running Photoshop! My eye sees what my eye sees.

That's exactly what you are! An instant computer running a bunch of very complex electrochemical routines that optimize what you're looking at into what you're seeing. And no, not all of them happen in the brain. Quite a lot of them are inherent to the way eyes, rods, cones and whatnot, work.

While i'm on the subject, here's another thing that's been bothering me. People claiming they "see what they see" after putting two differently tinted emitters next to eachother. You won't be able to judge a THING that way, because your eyes and brain will always train on one of them and proclaim the other as worse. You have to try using and evaluating them one by one, letting yourself accomodate to a single light source without the other one in the picture! Anything else and you're back to posting photos with white balance fixed to favour one of the light sources ;)

And remember the binning of the Luxeon LED's, with the spot in the four letter code that was expressly for deviations from the PBBL (Plankian Black Body Locus)?

You seem to have misinterpreted my post... Which isn't that odd, considering it was written in a pretty chaotic manner.

I never said anything agains light sources adhering to the black body spectrum. In fact, it's the only thing i find relevant beyond any point of doubt in the whole issue of color reproduction. However, i think that, for example, deviations into green aren't necesserily a bad thing - in fact, they can be beneficial in some applications like outdoor flashlights.

The spectrum of sun, after all, does not precisely follow the black body curve it should for its temperature - the green and yellow parts are a bit higher then they should be, while the blue and violet parts are lower. And that's before it even hits the atmosphere. But that's beside the point...

So you made the Cree image look almost indistinguishable from the 083? So? I didn't have to do ANY processing to make the 083 image look like a daylight image.

And THAT is the point.

Actually, you did do some processing. The moment you've chosen a daylight white balance setting, you've processed your picture. In the same way i've reprocessed it later on when i changed the white balance.

We do NOT live in a world where daylight white balance is an absolute. It's an artificial standard, not some magical etalon of what is right and truthful (colorwise) and what is not. Why daylight? Why not a "cloudy" daylight setting? Why not a shadow daylight setting? Oh, and which daylight are we talking about? The 5000K one? 5500K? 6000? 6500? See where this is going? :)

Anyway, it seems to me that if you truly hold that the brain more or less completely adapts to CCT, then you should hold that CRI is all that matters, and one can compare CRI's of different sources against each other without bothering to worry about what the CCT of each one was. Right? Explain to me why you disagree with that. I must be misunderstanding your position somewhat here.

No, i'm trying to say that both are ill suited for comparison of two lights by themselves. CRI of two sources with different CCT don't mean a thing. Or, at least, i think it shouldn't. Why? Because CRI seems to be geared towards favoring a flat spectrum filtered through (/weighted by) some standardized notion of "what-is-right-and-what-is-not". CIE color space has its basis planted in industry, not the way people see and percieve. CRI might be useful for evaluation of lights as they pertain to, say, photography or video, but i'm not convinced it is relevant at all where human (subjective) visual perception is concerned.

Apparently, i'm not the only one:
http://www.knt.vein.hu/staff/schandaj/SJCV-Publ-2005/521.pdf

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Second, I wonder, what would happen, orcinus, if you left the 083 image alone, and only modified the Cree one? Both of the images in your post are more highly saturated and brightened and have different contrasts than the reality. It reminds me of British TV vs. American, like old All Creatures Great and Small landscapes vs. the saturated, processed images on modern nature programs and such-like. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that artificially processing both images so much may have degraded the fidelity and made it harder to identify the higher CRI light source image.

No "untoward" changes have been done in my first post. No saturation changed, just brightness and contrast increased a bit (as the originals are a bit underexposed in the color patch area).

Anyway, here they are again, with only the Cree edited:

cri1bgf2.jpg

cri2blh7.jpg

I think i was off on the white balance a bit this time (i've realized it after i've uploaded the pics), but nevermind. Load both in Photoshop or another similar app, put them both in a single document in two layers and try switching between them quickly to see the main differences in color reproduction (not accuracy).

The Cree favours the greens and yellows, while the Nichia favours magenta and blue (coincidentally, the exact opposites of the PBBL and it's perpendicular spectrum). The differences are slight, but they are there.

Edit: BTW, i hope everyone here understands by now that the main reason these pics are getting so much attention and Photoshop action is because of js' taste in magazine covers... er i mean color reproduction test subjects :p :D

Last edited:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
orcinus,

I think we're coming closer.

But if you knew the first thing about me, you'd know that I am all about the live-with-it-for-a-while approach. I did NOT base what I am saying in this thread on a few five second tests. Nor did I always start with the same light in my comparisons. On the contrary.

And, I didn't set my camera to daylight WB! I made sure to capture what I was seeing. And yes, it is somewhat subjective, but no, it is not arbitrary, and it is not just an artifact of an ill conceived testing methodology. Honestly, do you seriously think that I don't know enough not to always start with the same light? And that I didn't live with both lights for months and don't have a pretty good baseline of experience?

People do in fact "see what they see", and this does in fact add up to something real given enough time, experience, and consideration.

The adjustments my brain can make are nowhere near extensive enough to render the two light sources indistinguishable, even if I wait for hours or even days. This is what I meant when I said it wasn't running photoshop. And I stand by that.

I also stand by my shades-of-red example. If a light source allows you to distinguish finer and finer shades of color, vs. another which doesn't, then I think that's a pretty good measure of color rendering ability. Is a doctor able to pick out a case of strep throat with a given light? If BabyDoc can with the 083, but can't with the Cree, then that clearly says that the 083 is better. If your eyes and brain just "adjust" like a photoshop program doing its thing, then why didn't his eyes adjust? Why did he need to switch to the 083? Are you going to tell me he didn't see what he saw? That his experience proves nothing?

But, in any case, I take your point about the flaws in how we measure and quantify CRI. But, keep in mind that my pictures were not any kind of proof of superior color rendering ability. They simply captured, in my opinion, the difference in light coming from the 083 vs. the Cree. I rigged it up to show this. It was simply a visual example that lined up with and exemplified what my experience with the 083 has been.

As for daylight, it's far from being an "artificial" standard! It's the most prominent and ubiquitous and abundant source we have, with a long tradition and history behind it (all of history, in fact). If it didn't matter, if it was arbitrary, then you wouldn't always find photographers preferring it to everything else when they can get it.

But, let's change tacks here.

If you're not debating the usefulness and validity of high CRI emitters, then can I infer that

1. you do find them useful and valid?

and

2. you have a different way to demonstrate and evaluate that usefulness?

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
No "untoward" changes have been done in my first post. No saturation changed, just brightness and contrast increased a bit (as the originals are a bit underexposed in the color patch area).

Anyway, here they are again, with only the Cree edited:

cri1bgf2.jpg

cri2blh7.jpg

I think i was off on the white balance a bit this time (i've realized it after i've uploaded the pics), but nevermind. Load both in Photoshop or another similar app, put them both in a single document in two layers and try switching between them quickly to see the main differences in color reproduction (not accuracy).

The Cree favours the greens and yellows, while the Nichia favours magenta and blue (coincidentally, the exact opposites of the PBBL and it's perpendicular spectrum). The differences are slight, but they are there.

Edit: BTW, i hope everyone here understands by now that the main reason these pics are getting so much attention and Photoshop action is because of js' taste in magazine covers... er i mean color reproduction test subjects :p :D

OK. Thanks for doing this yet again! Nice work!

And this time, I am definitely going to go with the top picture as being from the 083.

Is that right?

p.s. oh yeah, I am certainly not tired of looking at these photos! That's for sure! LOL!

holeymoley

Newly Enlightened
Wow, you guys sound like you really know what you're talking about:whistle:

My 2 questions are simple:
Where can I buy a 083? And what would be a good host to drive it at ~1 lumen for extended runtimes?