Fire Foxes IV FF4

InfinitusEquitas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes - my FF4 operates the same way - you have to press the tail cap button to turn it off. So you find that extremely annoying? Really??

To be fair I'm very easily annoyed, and tend to be overly critical.

I am very impressed with the light overall, but yes, I find having to use the rear button to turn off to be irritating. I think it would be nice to be able to cycle the light on and off via just the side switch, after the rear button is pressed.

My only other criticisms of the light are that the lens is not AR coated, the battery tube is a bit too short for comfortable carry, and there is a buzzing noise/whine especially when on Turbo.

If those can be addressed, the extended carrier and handle added, I think it would be a near perfect searchlight.

Given the price point compared to others I think it's absolutely stunning... it was either this or the RC40 for me, and I'm REALLY glad I got the FF4.

The complaint that people have about having to cycle it off in order to go back into turbo, that to me is not justified. The light does get very hot.

Last edited:

warmurf

Enlightened
Every time I power it up all my annoyance at the UI etcgoes out the window. The reaction by some truck drivers at work the othernight when I used it to light up some building and power line tower 300-800metres away was priceless. They could not believe the output of thislight. I think there was a chance of 4 more orders being made the nextmorning.

InfinitusEquitas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would not surprise me at all. The power of this light, in such a small package is phenomenal. Makes the SRK look like a kids toy.

I'm itching for the day when we have comparable results from LED flashlights. I feel we're almost there... not quite but close.

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
To be fair I'm very easily annoyed, and tend to be overly critical.

I am very impressed with the light overall, but yes, I find having to use the rear button to turn off to be irritating. I think it would be nice to be able to cycle the light on and off via just the side switch, after the rear button is pressed.

My only other criticisms of the light are that the lens is not AR coated, the battery tube is a bit too short for comfortable carry, and there is a buzzing noise/whine especially when on Turbo.

If those can be addressed, the extended carrier and handle added, I think it would be a near perfect searchlight.

Given the price point compared to others I think it's absolutely stunning... it was either this or the RC40 for me, and I'm REALLY glad I got the FF4.

The complaint that people have about having to cycle it off in order to go back into turbo, that to me is not justified. The light does get very hot.

I don't know if I remember it right but isn't all lights with tail-cap switches is turned-off at this switch, even if it does have a side-switch? (I am speaking from the lights that I have owned, and have read about)

Last edited:

rufus001

Enlightened
I don't know if I remember it right but isn't all lights with tail-cap switches is turned-off at this switch, even if it does have a side-switch? (I am speaking from the lights that I have owned, and have read about)

I have lights with a tail switch and a control ring that can turn them on and off though they still draw a little power. Not sure about a side switch though without checking.

rdrfronty

Enlightened
I might be missing it, but has there been any independent testing done on the FF4 yet? I would like to see its lux reading at 10m or more if possible, and of a lumen test. And independent testing by members, not the seller. No doubt the FF4 is impressive, just wondering if its good enough to make me look past the traditional HID downfalls (warm up time) and the weird UI.

So I have an FF4 on order. I have AW 2000mah IMR & Panasonic NCR18650PD at my disposal.
Question is what kind exactly of in built protection does the flashlight have? Does it cut at, say, 12V across all cells?

I know this has been discussed here and I have read all the posts but I'm just not sure if anyone actually knows for certain exactly how it works.

Just wanted to try and clarify this if possible, in the interest of safety for all FF4 owners.

Thanks

Last edited:

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battery-carrier in the "off" mode
9hdj.jpg

Battery-carrier in the "stand-by" mode. The green leds glow through the Green rubber boot. (they say it will shut-off at a certain voltage but I haven't tried it yet)
g2y0.jpg

kg99.jpg

s14s.jpg

When already in the "stand-by" mode, clicking on the Side Switch activates the light into High (40W), another press to go to Low, (24W), then a long press to go to Turbo (60W) if desired.

Last edited:

jalal20

Enlightened
I accidently left the light in stand by mode for a couple of days and then I wanted to use it, the light turned on the 40W but with a noise that wasn't there before and when I tried to switch to 60W it shut off, I tested the batteries and they were flat empty so I had to recharge them again. Is it possiblt that just those 2 small leds drained 4 3400 batteries in a couple of days?? anyone else had such an issue?
Now I am making sure that the standby light is off all the time :)

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
I accidently left the light in stand by mode for a couple of days and then I wanted to use it, the light turned on the 40W but with a noise that wasn't there before and when I tried to switch to 60W it shut off, I tested the batteries and they were flat empty so I had to recharge them again. Is it possiblt that just those 2 small leds drained 4 3400 batteries in a couple of days?? anyone else had such an issue?
Now I am making sure that the standby light is off all the time :)

One way to know is to put charged cells in the carrier, leave it in 'stand-by' mode and monitor through your DMM the voltage consumption in the ensuing days at the + and - contacts of the batt-carrier.

(Nice to know the 'active' batt-carrier is doing its job by shutting off on low-voltage state)

Last edited:

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Advisable to make sure the rear button is off (no led lit up) and not in stand-by mode when light is stored for non-use. When led is lit on rear button and light is in standby mode it draws 50ma of power. This will drain the batteries down to a low level (probably around 2.5 mah per cell) since there is not much load present. Under load they will not go so low... 4th change that may be helpful - if in standby > 2hr's turn standby off requiring a switch cycle.

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where can I buy this light I'm in the us
Apparently outside of Lips' group-buy you can't get one if you are in the U.S. The dealers that have these in stock and can ship to the U.S. aren't permitted to for some reason. If someone in the U.S. gets one by way of the group buy, the warranty won't be honored... Is anyone aware of why this company is taking this hard-line stance against U.S. buyers??

hahoo

Enlightened
Apparently outside of Lips' group-buy you can't get one if you are in the U.S. The dealers that have these in stock and can ship to the U.S. aren't permitted to for some reason. If someone in the U.S. gets one by way of the group buy, the warranty won't be honored... Is anyone aware of why this company is taking this hard-line stance against U.S. buyers??

yeah, very weird......

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maybe Shine can weigh in on this? I'm thinking he may have some insights as to why they don't want their lights sold to folks here in the U.S.

Last edited:

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Richs, lights are and have been available in the USA. You got one already!

You don't want any improvements or changes to the light?

Can't wait till the train leaves the station as it will be too late...

Some changes that may make the light more user friendly and a better seller:

1. Allow multiple visits to 60w still keeping the 3 min time limit. (This would allow you to use the 60w brightness and allow the user to control the heat and battery capacity. Also the UI would work with extension 8x battery extension.

2. Allow going to 60w from either 24w or 40w. (Now it's set to 24 to get to 60w. This would simplify UI and cut out a step...)

3. If possible have a condition that if rear switch is left on for 2 hours without light starting up turn standby off. Standby > 2 turn off. ( This would stop 50ma drain of rear standby switch if you forget to turn it off while light is stored. After a couple of days leaving light in standby mode would run your batteries down too low and shorten their life.)

4. Return low voltage blink back to the rear led on rear switch like FF3 (It may not be totally accurate but it does give you and indication that you don't have 4 fully charged and high quality batteries installed. Will give you some indication that you are running low on battery.)