Fire Foxes IV FF4

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
A week out from the release date and nobody has a photo of the FF4??? Does the FF4 really exist or are we being taken for a ride?

Yeah, but at least there is some artist sketch floating around.....maybe FF is taking the Apple Iphone route in their release of this light.

Bill has informed me pictures will be uploaded when he gets it within 10 days after May.

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bill has informed me that the projected release of the FF4 has been moved from 15th to 20th of May.

Last edited:

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
My FF4 has just arrived from Doing Outdoor, the batteries are charging. I can't wait till sunset....but it's summer right now and it doesn't get completely dark till past 10pm

Quickstrike

Newly Enlightened
My FF4 has just arrived from Doing Outdoor, the batteries are charging. I can't wait till sunset....but it's summer right now and it doesn't get completely dark till past 10pm

So, how is the light?

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
I commented on the other FF4 thread. This thing is bright! Throws very far with a big spill. The anodizing on mine is perfect. The light feels very solid and well built. Only things I don't like are you can't get into 60w mode for at least after 30 seconds of being on, once you leave 60w mode you can't get back in until you turn the light off first, and it starts on 40w mode.

BVH

Flashaholic
Is the FF3 in 60 Watt mode or 40 Watt in the above comparison?

When i scrutinize the most distant objects, to me, the FF3 is throwing further or at least the most distant objects are brighter.

jalal20

Enlightened
I just tested my FF4 and its amazing, I scared my neighbors :)
I have a question though, is it ok to switch between 25 and 40W multiple times?

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
When i scrutinize the most distant objects, to me, the FF4 is throwing further or at least the most distant objects are brighter.

That's what I see too. Even if the FF4 throws less, I'm super happy with it, especially seeing it comes so close to the PH50 even if the FF4 can only run at that brightness for 3 minutes before step down

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking at the far end of photos of what look like shorter plants, for me the PH50 slightly outthrows the FF4 in 40W mode, but at 60W the FF4 wins it.

Last edited:

mhemling33

Newly Enlightened
KuanR I am pretty jealous not gonna lie!

I am waiting for the second batch to come out because of the user interface issues of having to turn the light off to get back into 60w mode. Hopefully they can/will fix it! waiting 30 seconds to go to 60W isn't an issue for me but after that I want to be able to switch to it when I need to.

BVH

Flashaholic
...................I am waiting for the second batch to come out because of the user interface issues of having to turn the light off to get back into 60w mode. Hopefully they can/will fix it! waiting 30 seconds to go to 60W isn't an issue for me but after that I want to be able to switch to it when I need to.

I'm not convinced yet that they "can" be changed with current hardware and it if they can, that they will change anything. My guess is there's more of a chance that it will not change than it will change. If it doesn't change, I don't think I'll buy one. 60 Watt mode is almost useless and I've already had an FF3 so an FF4 with SMO at the same Wattage is not worth it for me.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not convinced yet that they "can" be changed with current hardware and it if they can, that they will change anything. My guess is there's more of a chance that it will not change than it will change. If it doesn't change, I don't think I'll buy one. 60 Watt mode is almost useless and I've already had an FF3 so an FF4 with SMO at the same Wattage is not worth it for me.
It's got a microcontroller in there giving it the current UI. Changing the UI / restrictions should just be a matter of changing the software. Whether they will or not is another issue.

mhemling33

Newly Enlightened

I don't have an FF3 to be content with so I might just have to buy a FF3s lol

It's got a microcontroller in there giving it the current UI. Changing the UI / restrictions should just be a matter of changing the software. Whether they will or not is another issue.

I was actually wondering how it was set up. Is this something that we could flash a custom firmware too? I know it would void warranty and all that but in theory we could change the UI to what we want then.

JetskiMark

Enlightened
Look at this comparison between Polarion PH50 and FF4 we did yesterday. Thanks to Manu for beamshots.
FF4 is brighter but PH50 has (a bit) more throw because of the bigger and deeper reflector.

Thank you for the beamshots gif.

Seeing that the FF4 comes close to the performance of the PH50, for a fraction of the size and price, makes me want one even more.

I will buy one if the ridiculous UI is changed to one that makes sense for an HID.