Fire Foxes IV FF4

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello I've been reading this thread for quite a while and decided to pull the trigger on one of these. I was going for a RC40 but then I realized I have too many multi-led flashlights already, with MM15 coming in the way. So I only look forward to one more led flashlight this year and it's the Armytek Grizzly.

My main concern is purchasing it in the first place, I have contacted member Lips and his sell thread and had no response after several attempts. Also it looks abandoned since the last response was 4 months ago. In a famous Chinese website it says that they won't ship to the US. And the other site which has stock doesn't look very reliable. So technically there is only 1 way to buy this light from an official dealer?

Thanks for your help.

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello I've been reading this thread for quite a while and decided to pull the trigger on one of these. I was going for a RC40 but then I realized I have too many multi-led flashlights already, with MM15 coming in the way. So I only look forward to one more led flashlight this year and it's the Armytek Grizzly.

My main concern is purchasing it in the first place, I have contacted member Lips and his sell thread and had no response after several attempts. Also it looks abandoned since the last response was 4 months ago. In a famous Chinese website it says that they won't ship to the US. And the other site which has stock doesn't look very reliable. So technically there is only 1 way to buy this light from an official dealer?

Thanks for your help.

PM sent.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
New EXTREME 65w version with Stainless Steel Bezel
(20w - 40w - 65w)

The only mention I see of it in a search is your post and a thread in a german forum with a link to a store that is out of stock... any more info?

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool thanks sounds nice
Hope they change the fact that if you go into turbo then when it steps down that they use a thermal step down not a timer, also allow it to be stepped up to turbo again (when its cooled down enough) and not have to turn the light off to then reuse the 65W setting.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool thanks sounds nice
Hope they change the fact that if you go into turbo then when it steps down that they use a thermal step down not a timer, also allow it to be stepped up to turbo again (when its cooled down enough) and not have to turn the light off to then reuse the 65W setting.

Definitely some legit questions... looking forward to the answers. Was never into the FF4 up to this point because of all the mode switching weirdness. I still have my FF3.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received my FF4 today.

Indeed a very impressive light. Massive output, incredible throw for its size. Clean beam with little artifacts, CW tint.

With 4x NCR18650B it ran about 5 minutes at high before it was too hot to hold. I can't notice much difference between low and med, but this light is meant to be on high all the time. :naughty:

Compliments my MM15 very nicely.

IMG_6591_zpseb83d32d.jpg

CONTROL SHOT

IMG_6592_zps47760ead.jpg

HIGH MODE. TREES ARE PROBABLY 100M AWAY, I GUESS?

IMG_6594_zps89feb853.jpg

WITH THE BIG BOYS

I plan to do more extended beamshots of the ff4 along with my led lights and the Hellfighter.

InfinitusEquitas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Switch to high drain 18650's for both the MM15, and FF4, you will notice more of a difference between medium and high on FF4, and a small increase in output for the mm15.

double0thirteen

Newly Enlightened
Does the MM15 have comparable performance with the FF4?
If the MM15 can run just a tad bit cooler then it might just replace the FF4 as my primary light with the FF4 relegated as back up.
For my application the FF4 gets too hot for prolong use.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the MM15 have comparable performance with the FF4?
If the MM15 can run just a tad bit cooler then it might just replace the FF4 as my primary light with the FF4 relegated as back up.

The MM15 and FF4 are completely different lights. The FF4 is primarily a thrower, the MM15 is a dedicated flooder. On turbo, the MM15 cannot run more than a few minutes, and it gets hot very quickly. Of all the lights I own, it heats up the fastest. Doesn't sound like it is the right solution for you.

double0thirteen

Newly Enlightened
The MM15 and FF4 are completely different lights. The FF4 is primarily a thrower, the MM15 is a dedicated flooder. On turbo, the MM15 cannot run more than a few minutes, and it gets hot very quickly. Of all the lights I own, it heats up the fastest. Doesn't sound like it is the right solution for you.

Thanks Doc,
The mention of the MM15 made me think. I'm in the lookout for similar performing backup to the FF4, I'm happy running it at 20W. That is till it cuts off....

InfinitusEquitas

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are about the same based on ceiling bounce, but totally different lights outside. If you need to light things up close by, like within ~100-200 feet at most, the MM15 will work great.

If you want to light something up way downrange, the FF4 is a better option. Heat is an issue with both, but definitely more so with the mm15. This may be in part to it having better heat dissipation.

I've run my mm15 to where it was getting hot to hold, shut off, took out batteries, but noticed it actually got even hotter shortly after turning off.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MM15 got to be one of the the worst when it comes to throw. Even the triple XPG P60 drop in throws further, but in exchange, it gives a very smooth perfectly tinted flood beam and has the most WOW factor out of all my multi-18650 lights. It does get hot really quickly, I often limit it to only mode 4 which is about 800 lumens. Heat is not that much of a concern when it comes to the FF4 because both the ballast and bulb can handle it well, but the batteries not so much.

This is why the MM15 and the FF4 complements each other almost perfectly. Even at 24w mode, the FF4 provides a sharp beam with a lot of reach. While the MM15 can shine a wall 5ft away in turbo and it won't blind you with a intense spot.

I have 4 sets of Panasonic NCR18650BD on the way to use on both my FF4 and MM15. They provide better balance in capacity and discharge rate compared to an IMR cell.