Firefly/sub lumens?? Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Where'd page 4 go?

The board says it's there...but I cannot see it.

Not some sub-lumen humor either.
Happened on the Malkoff thread once.

Edit: it's back. That was weird.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Where'd page 4 go?

probably just enough posts to start a 4th page then a post was deleted by a moderator then another person posted in the thread

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Humans always want more. I recall when 200 lumens was awesome. In two years CPF will be full of discussions of why 2000 lumens are barely sufficient.

I actually thought about that we really become used to higher brightness levels. I remember my Tiablo A9 when I got it many years ago. ~200 OTF lumens. Awesome, what a bright spill and with a good throw. Shortly after that I got Fenix TK10 about the same brightness. I liked it even more for allround use because of the broader hotspot. And then Fenix TK30. Wow! 630lm(measured 560 or 570 I remember). After that lights with 800lm, 1300lm and 2000+lm. First time Thrunite TN35(~2400 OTF lm): Wow! This is BRIGHT!
Today when I turn on TN35: yes it is bright but not that wow feeling as the first time with Fenix TK30.

I think one reason to the difference of perceived brightness: 8-10 years ago even a bright flashlight was dimmer than a normal home light bulb in lumen. I remember when a flashlight with output comparable to a standard 40w home incan bulb was considered as extreme.
Today several of my flashlights are brighter than a 100w home incan light bulb. The perspective has changed. Today we are used to get equal light output at highest level even with a compact flashlight as the home lighting.
Earlier we hardly compared them: flashlights were for outdoors use and for good reach but the lumen output was another thing, then the home fixed lighting ruled. And yes: we can talk about car headlights as well.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Where'd page 4 go?

The Administrators should change the name of CPF to "The Official Malkoff Junkie Thread". :)

wjv

Enlightened
Humans always want more. I recall when 200 lumens was awesome. In two years CPF will be full of discussions of why 2000 lumens are barely sufficient.

Yup. I disagree with the "requirements" posted here by many, such as "I need a light to walk the dog so I need at least 5,000 lumens and 1.2 Km of throw". But hey, it's their $$ and the choice so it has zero effect on me.

I like moonlight modes, but need at least 1/3 lumen to use it. But then my eyes are 59 years old. Probably when I was 20 a 1/10th lumen would have been plenty.

While I have a couple multi-thousand lumen lights, I generally even use those on the lower settings. Just personal preference...

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
That would be nice... but it would probably only last a microsecond and deplete a super capacitor completely.

No I would want at least 1 hour of runtime. No moonlight mode on this one, how does 100%-75%-50%-25% sound? Best mode spacing ever right there. Really I have no use for a light that is dimmer than 25k lumens.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
No I would want at least 1 hour of runtime. No moonlight mode on this one, how does 100%-75%-50%-25% sound? Best mode spacing ever right there. Really I have no use for a light that is dimmer than 25k lumens.

25K = 25,000 lumens. Yikes...that would take hours and hours to recover your night vision.

Performance and run time are like a cars fuel economy. When I want really bright (ie: 120L) I know its not going to give me good battery economy. Hyper-miling at firefly levels yields the best battery economy. You can't really have both.

My eyes see increases in light of 25% as meager...its noticeable...:ironic:...but nothing to write home about.

If I want brighter I want 10x so it is noticeably :huh: twice as bright.

That is why my TiS firely (I use all the time) 0.04L- 12L - 120L (rarely used) has perfect spacing. Heck, 30L is plenty for me, I guess I was just blessed with decent night vision capabilities.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
probably just enough posts to start a 4th page then a post was deleted by a moderator then another person posted in the thread

Good point. Thanks.
I was having a weird day at work. A loader kept going by me with a bucket full of dirt. Going north he'd have dark colored dirt. Going south he'd have light colored dirt...back n forth, back n forth, with his bucket always full of different colored dirt... then page 4 thing happened.

The Administrators should change the name of CPF to "The Official Malkoff Junkie Thread". :)

Hmmm, it was at page 199 like in February. lol

archimedes

Flashaholic
I want at least 100k lumens of flood light on my keychain.

Yeah, I think 25,000 - 100,000 lumens would be perfect for most uses.

You could always put your thumb partly over it, if you wanted dimmer output.

Remember, you can always dim a bright light, but you can never make a dim light brighter ....

lol
[emoji317]

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

You would have to have it nitrogen cooled or wear an asbestos glove to use it even on low.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

Remember, you can always dim a bright light, but you can never make a dim light brighter ....

lol
[emoji317]
At 10k lumens you are probably getting close to being able to shine it at the moon and see it bounce back perhaps which would make it "moonlight" mode.

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
At 10k lumens you are probably getting close to being able to shine it at the moon and see it bounce back perhaps which would make it "moonlight" mode.
I wouldn't recommend putting your hand over a 10K+ lumen light,
Unless you want to become luke skywalker.
I was joking, mode spacing should be about 8X per level or infinitely variable from less than 0.01 lumens IMO.

I had considered a flashlight that would be moonlight only, it would have several modes something like 0.002-0.016-0.13-1.0
It would use a tiny rechargeable battery and plug into an audio jack for charging.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, at lest 4 times per level, but 8 is even better.

I like a light to start on low at no more than .5 lumens, then 3, 30, 200, and if it can go higher, 600. If it can't do at least 3 times the last setting then don't have it go to max at all. I'd rather have the battery life than an inconsequential, unnoticeable increase in lumens.

I can't stand a light such as a Fenix that is spaced out at 5, 25, 55, 88. Absolutely stupid. You can't hardly tell the difference between successive modes. They should just leave it at 5, 25, 88 and skip the 55. It would still suck, but at least it wouldn't be stupid.

I see a lot of cool Fenix lights but then I look at the modes and wonder what kind of drugs the programmers are using, or if they have ever actually used a flashlight.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast

lol
[emoji317]

You'd have to keep adjusting your thumb position though, and scraping off the charred layers.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't recommend putting your hand over a 10K+ lumen light,
Unless you want to become luke skywalker.
I was joking, mode spacing should be about 8X per level or infinitely variable from less than 0.01 lumens IMO.

I had considered a flashlight that would be moonlight only, it would have several modes something like 0.002-0.016-0.13-1.0
It would use a tiny rechargeable battery and plug into an audio jack for charging.

Every instance of lights with 4x mode spacing seem functional to me. 8x might well be more generic/universal/practical, but at 4x there's definite advantage -see roughly twice as far, and it's still relatively fine grained.
.00625, .025, .1, .4, 1.6, 6.4, 25.6, 102.4, 409.6, 1638.4...
Few people may want a 10 mode light of they had to click it, but it shows a good range. Personally I'd love a ten mode light like that, with a magnetic ring selector, using gold plated ferrous reeds for the lower modes... All the way counter clockwise would be mechanically Off, no parasitic drain, up to like 1.6 - 6.4 lumens, where the electronic switch could take over. Again, the higher modes would be electrically switched, the parasitic drain lost in the overall discharge rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.