First Purchase, no idea what I am doing

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
7) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an "X" on the line below.

Throw (distance)x---------------------|----------------------Flood/close-up

If you want that much throw you minght want to look into a laser :nana:

andrew123

Newly Enlightened
2x AW 3.7v rcr123's will work (where can I buy them + a charger?) The links to AW's thread in the marketplace isn't clear as to which battery is what for my noobness.

Go to 4sevens.com They have lots of AW's batteries there. On the side of the website go to "batteries" and they will be there.

LuLuTheMonk

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I'll check that out. I think that I will be getting some bear mace as well for when we go hiking in the mountains near by. Still don't know about LED vs incandescent.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Usually:

LEDs have a cooler tint and less color rendering the Incans(some people like this). But for the same power LEDs can run much longer, have the same runtime and be much brighter, or somewhere inbetween. More durable but ususally require more parts(circuit to control current and lower or raise voltage).

Incans have better color rendering and sometimes offer better throw. High power ones can be brighter then a LED but either with much less runtime, or larger size. Bulbs can break though.

There are neutral and warm white LEDs that have a warmer tint. A neutral tint LED is between incan and cool white LEDs and a warm white LED is like an inca tint wise. They have less efficiency then cool white LEDs though because of the phospor needed for the warmer tint.

LuLuTheMonk

Newly Enlightened
Something that I have just come to realize, is I don't actually really know what the scale is for lumens. If a light has 100 lumens, vs a light with 200, is that double the brightness? How does a human eye perceive that difference?

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The human eye perceives brightness logarithmically. So twice the lumens does not look twice as bright. It is pretty tricky, and this is one reasons it is so difficult to accurately gauge the brightness of flashlights without a lot of expensive equipment.

Hope to see you make it to the Seattle area get together.

LuLuTheMonk

Newly Enlightened
Another quick question, is there a difference between the $110 and $149 versions of the E1B?

copperfox

Enlightened
Dereelight DBS! - Excellent throw, two levels of output, tail clicky, can use rechargeables.

EPVQ30

Newly Enlightened
great thread guys, i myself being a highend flashy newb i'm in search of my first led light.. i was thinking about the e2dl of course, and then going for another cheaper back up down the road.
however, i am being exposed to tons of products i did not know existed!
my research is going to take a little longer than expected since my choices may change in a matter of 2 or 3 threads.

i will keep reading until the wee hours of the morning in search of my first true tactical device.

LuLuTheMonk

Newly Enlightened
Heh, I am in the exact same boat. A few more noob questions:
Whats a pill?
Whats a driver?
Single die, multi die?
MC-E, Q5, Q3, R2, I think are LED types, should I even really worry about such things?

From what I have read, the E2DL head is sealed, so it may make upgrading harder unless I just get an entirely new head. I would not be against that as I am not a huge fan of the crenelated bezel.