fishing light help please

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hopkins, that's a great idea.
major, what had you been using? perhaps your style / habits might point a direction.

My main issue with ALL these lights is that that there is no way to select tint (beam colour). Some advertising may go on about trivial things, but if the beam is green tinged and you hate green tinted led's, it's a miss. There are so many great tints that it is a mistake to settle for one you don't like.
Are you handy with a soldering iron? for ~$40 you could build your own that would be brighter, with more versatility (multi-modes), and a better colour. If at all possible, I highly recommend you consider making your own

Also, consider 4Sevens Prism($20), not a flashlight but a 90 degree angle fitting that will let you put a flashlight on a clip or headband for hands-free operation.

major

Newly Enlightened
Hopkins, that's a great idea.
major, what had you been using? perhaps your style / habits might point a direction.

My main issue with ALL these lights is that that there is no way to select tint (beam colour). Some advertising may go on about trivial things, but if the beam is green tinged and you hate green tinted led's, it's a miss. There are so many great tints that it is a mistake to settle for one you don't like.
Are you handy with a soldering iron? for ~$40 you could build your own that would be brighter, with more versatility (multi-modes), and a better colour. If at all possible, I highly recommend you consider making your own

Also, consider 4Sevens Prism($20), not a flashlight but a 90 degree angle fitting that will let you put a flashlight on a clip or headband for hands-free operation.
yes im ok with the soldering but i would of thought it would be hard to get the bits here to build my own,,idealy i want a headlamp with a floody beam 40 mtrs top would do it but bright, i dont need to see 100mtrs or so,and something that would run up to 8 hrs any ideas on what to build and how to ?

Last edited:

major

Newly Enlightened
Major
The LED Lenser H7 would be great if
it'd run for 8hrs on high. Not possible with 3 aaa
batteries...

But easy to do with 6 AA batteries in a homemade
pack.

Buy two 3AA battery holders and wire the outputs
in parallel so output voltage remains the same as
3aaa batteries.

Rubber band them to hold together etc. to make
a nice pack to carry in your coat pocket.

Wires go up to the H7's 3aaa holder and just connect
them to the correct contacts. Then the H7's power
control will still work normally.

Probably won't have to change the H7 at all.
Maybe just a little notch in the battery cover to let
the wires in to the 3aaa compartment.
sounds like a good idea thanks for that :)

major

Newly Enlightened
The DB Icon is rated at 100 lumen and good to 100 meters. Several of the other lights recommended thus far are more powerful, lumen wise at least. As you noted, the Icon's beam was not so useful because it is too narrow. You may find a more powerful light that shines less far, because its beam is wider and/or has more side-spill, to be more to your liking.

You can go to CPF user Szemhazai's website and scroll each side of the screen to do side by side comparisons of many headlamps. Scroll about ½ way down to get to the headlamps.

Having used the Icon you can compare it to several of the Petzl and Silva lights. Knowing that you are looking for extra runtime, again I think the Silva LX II (newer brighter version of the LX on Szemhazai's website) or the LX1, both available with an external battery pack, might fit the bill.
my friens has got the sliva478 halogen on szemhazais site and the silva alpha is the one i compared it against think this is the one im looking for just looks ideal for what i want shame about the burn time and cost

tnuckels

Enlightened
Major, look at these pictures:

Black Diamond Icon – HIGH
Indoors
Outdoors

Silva L1 – HIGH
Indoors
Outdoors

Silva LX – HIGH
Indoors
Outdoors

You know the Icon.

The current Silva LX II is even brighter than the LX in the pictures.

Both Silvas have an external battery pack for extended runtime, ready to attach.

Both are within your price range.

No modifications necessary. No tape. No rubber bands. No chewing gum to hold it all together.

I like to modify things myself ... but only when there is not a product on the market that matches my needs already.

major

Newly Enlightened
thanks the l1 looks good to me only if it had a bit more flood to go with it

major

Newly Enlightened
thanks for all the help everyone,i think im going with the led lenser but would of been the fenix had it had a better diffuser,by the way if i was to make my own what led as got a nice floody beam around 150 lumen? and reflector sorry but i just havent got a clue about leds
regards
nick

major

Newly Enlightened
Major
The LED Lenser H7 would be great if
it'd run for 8hrs on high. Not possible with 3 aaa
batteries...

But easy to do with 6 AA batteries in a homemade
pack.

Buy two 3AA battery holders and wire the outputs
in parallel so output voltage remains the same as
3aaa batteries.

Rubber band them to hold together etc. to make
a nice pack to carry in your coat pocket.

Wires go up to the H7's 3aaa holder and just connect
them to the correct contacts. Then the H7's power
control will still work normally.

Probably won't have to change the H7 at all.
Maybe just a little notch in the battery cover to let
the wires in to the 3aaa compartment.
ok so im going this way with the led lenser h7
i think i know what to do but to make sure can somebody do us a diagram just to make sure so i dont mess the light up before i even use it (i am useless with these things unless i see piccys :)
thanks
regards
nick

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
there's a few good sources,
Shiningbeam occasionally caries emitters and drivers
Dealextreme and Kaidomain are hong kong based sites with free shipping. They carry everything, sometimes the astoundingly low prices are met with poorer quality. Battery packs, battery holders, diy cases, diy lights, cheap headlamps, emitters, drivers, wiring, solder, everything.
But if you're inexperienced you may be best off ordering something pre-made, i'd just like you to think about what makes it work when you get it, what are the different parts, and maybe if you can start working on something yourself.

major

Newly Enlightened
thanks for that linger
but im getting the led lenser h7 so all i needed to know was how to wire up two 3aa battery packs to work on this hl instead on using 3aaa batteries it would be 6aa, just wanted to make sure this would be possible so i dont buzz the new hl
regards
nick

hopkins

Enlightened
Yes. The output will be the same as 3aaa. Just be sure
to connect the 2 red wires together and the 2 black wires together.

I have a couple of these 3AA holders.
Once I had to use pliers on a contact to crimp it
to make good contact. Works fine now.

Once I goofed up and shorted the outputs.
The heat generated melted the plastic
in a few seconds and one spring contact pushed itself right
out of the holder. So tape the wires well to avoid shorts:)

Otherwise they should work very well doubled up to
share the current drain into a headlamp.

All 6 batteries will need to be same brand and
charged to the same voltage (if using rechargeable)

33u5u6p.jpg

Last edited:

hopkins

Enlightened
I found vid on Youtube of a demo of the LED Lenser H7
Snapped this pic of the H7's 3aaa battery pack.

244bkt5.jpg

major

Newly Enlightened
thank you very very much now i can see what needs to be done
the very best regards
nick

hopkins

Enlightened
Your welcome. Let us know how its works out.
I've heard the fishing is good up there.

My summer hikes into the California Sierra's aim to visit remote lakes,
catch little trout and fry them over campfires. Use a Petzl Myo Xp
headlamp.

major

Newly Enlightened
Your welcome. Let us know how its works out.
I've heard the fishing is good up there.

My summer hikes into the California Sierra's aim to visit remote lakes,
catch little trout and fry them over campfires. Use a Petzl Myo Xp
headlamp.
the fishings brilliant here ,i love it out in the open in winter when the northern lights are overhead thats a time for lights out to take in the moment :) and i forgot to say the led lenser has got 4 screws on the back of the light unit so it looks pretty easy to get into and a sirclirp that looks like its holding the lens in place

Last edited: