Flashlight Collectors' Survey

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashlight Collectors\' Survey

I was just thinking about all the nice flashlights that I have been acquiring lately and it occurred to me that I may be some kind of eccentric collector. LOL So I was wondering how many no-holds-barred hard-core flashlight collectors we have here?

When looking at groups of collectors I guess you could find everything from stamps, coins, guns and knives to artwork, cars, planes, tanks etc. Since CPF seems to be the hub of the world's flashlight community, I guess this is where the "hard core" collectors would be found. I definitely don't look at myself like this, but I can appreciate an inovative gadget or fine piece of art. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Would you classify yourself as a "hard core" flashlight collector?
What do you think makes you a flashlight collector?

Do you have to have every "collectable" flashlight that has come out?
What characteristics make a flashlight collectable to you?

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Flashlight Collectors\' Survey

1. Not hardcore, but I have noticed I'm starting to drool at the sight of a T3, trying to make up some rationalization as to why I should get one when I don't need it.
I guess I'm a bit of a collector of a few things, flashlights included. In fact, I had 7 of 'em before I even started coming here.

2. No. Much as I like collecting things, they have to be special to me for my own reasons (whatever the heck that means), generally not because something is trendy or a collector's edition.
The characteristics of anything I collect usually include three main ingredients. Utility, good looks, and uniqueness. In other words, if it can be used, has a certain look (beautiful, mean, funky, etc.), and especially if nobody else or very few people have one, then it's usually for me.

Larry1582

Enlightened

1.a.Yes
b.My collection

2.a.Yes, if I can afford it
b.Can't say there is one particular characteristic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

collection.jpg

1. I suppose I could be called "hardcore" in that I've tried to collect all of the factory colors that the AA MiniMag came in. I have paid $40.00+ for some of my MiniMags!

2. My collecting is very limited...factory colored AA MiniMags only.

<<<<<<ADDED 3-14-05>>>>>

I have acquired a lot of flashlights.....but only collect colored AA MiniMags.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am somewhat hardcore, as I cannot stop buying these things. This last week I bought another Arc AAA (my 8th), a Mag85, confirmed an HDS order, and received a JSB charger. I even buy back-ups for my back-ups, like having 2 unopened Q-IIIs in case my first one conks - only Freud could say why. I enjoy lights to actually use, whether its an Aleph or a nicad spotlight, so consider myself more of a user than a collector. But with this many lights, there is hardly a difference.

best regards

The_virus

Enlightened

Although my friends would say a definite "yes!" I wouldn't say I'm a hardcore collector. For example...the most expensive light I have is a VectorLite 1 million candlepower spotlight (I don't even know exactly how expensive it is since it was a gift). That still doesn't say much though, it's not a particularly expensive light compared to SureFire's offerings.

I also have yet to purchase a light that runs on 123 lithium cells...all mine are running on button cells, AAA, AA, or D. This will change very soon, this summer I will probably be buying a Nuwai Q3, Inova T3, and a Longbow Micra...but I'll get an Eco tube so it can also use AA's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Most of my collection is cheap hardware variety lights like Dorcy, plus some midrange sporting equipment brands light Streamlight, Princeton Tec, etc. Nothing I'd consider "hardcore"...my "sexiest" flashlight is an Inova X1. That'll change as I said though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I guess my friends/family would say I'm a hardcore collector just because of sheer numbers, rather than overal quality and content.

As far as collectability...I couldn't care less. I buy lights that are unique, or perform well. If anything, I buy lights more people have, just because of all the positive feedback I hear about them! For example, I've long discarded the Dorcy AAA as a POS, but with all the testimonies of how it actually performs well...I'm starting to change my mind. Performance matters the most, plus maintenance/battery cost (the main reason I don't use 123's yet). Looks...meh...an ugly light might not get my attention, but if it has a good runtime graph and nice spot...my attention might come back to it. Good thing most of the high end lights are either sexy or very utilitarian/rugged looking! Except that Haliotek...

BVH

Flashaholic

Not hard core but not too far away maybe? Can't resist a Mag. Cheap, lots of great colors, relatively cheap to get 800+ lumens out of them, a unique item when cutdown and...a sleeper - HID and USL versions. Love my Li on hearts and my Mighty Thors. Want to mod my Thors to 100 watt HID when someone does a group buy. Buying a second Mag2HID and 2 USL's. On this board everyday, just about. I just love holding the Sun in my hands! Hard Core - Naw, not me.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast

1. I guess it depends on who you're compairing to. Compaired to the average joe with his 2D Maglite, I'm some sort of radical extremist. Looking at some of the folks on here, I'm a nobody. .

2. There are too many lights out there for me to have every one of them. If there is a light that I want, though, I'll buy it no matter what I've got to do. (patiently waiting for Barbolight MKII to show up)

turbodog

Flashaholic

I collect:

1) the colored minimags, but you knew that most likely

2) interesting lights or unique lights
a) eternalight elitemax
b) opalec newbeam for minimag
c) 8aa/2d regulated drop in for 2d mag
d) everled w/ 3c mag
e) petzl zipka

3) lights I use
a) hds
b) L4
c) A2
d) tt1l and tt2l

I have sold most lights that I didn't use a lot or found to be not as interesting as I had thought:
6d mag
princeton tec 40 and 20
U2
e1e
kl1
e2e
(2) inova X1
arc aaa
arc lsh
7 watt lux v mag mod
badboy 400
badboy 650 lux3
princeton tec surge (melted!)
trek 7
3 streamlight stingers
streamlight strion
magcharger
A2 (sold and re-bought....stupid)
stoplight
hyperblaster 1r

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast

1a. "hard core" never, only "soft core"

1b. The urge What do you think makes you a flashlight collector?

2a. every "collectable" flashlight! That's a pretty bi list to complete. Almost as much as the 84'/85' Stars Basketball Cards.

2b. Mostly single cell so I can store them. But I'm willing to make exceptions for several superb lights such as Tigerlights, MiniHID, USL, and Polaris.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

1. No
2. No
Just a user. With some exceptions, of course.
bernhard

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast

1a. I'd say somewhere between "no" and "almost" as far as hard core goes. I do collect but I don't spend a lot or have a roomfull. About 25 in all, I think.

1b. Someone who gathers a bunch of flashlights not entirely based on need.

2a. Not at all, never probably.

2b. Fitting in with the rest of the lot. Namely old-style police lights of various designs. Cheap, not a big market, works for me.

bole64

Newly Enlightened

1. no, but it is funny, i have a SF 6P and an Inova 5x and 3 maglites and my friends call me a freak for owning too many flashlights.
B. i would say when you start spending $40 at the least on lights and you buy lots of them.
2.no
b. a light that i want.

rikvee

Enlightened

The term "collector" doesn't sit quite right with me, even though I own way more lights than I really need.
I am more an endless 'comparer', knowing that sometimes in use, my opinions change.
I also seem to want two of everything, no doubt a psychological condition?
The lights I look for have to have:
- great close-up beam quality (love the Surefire F04 beamshaper- should just be called 'diffuser')
- have a sun-like tint
- should be pretty and nice to touch (I know, it's flashlights we're talking, but still...)
- have reliable switching
- suitable for neck-lanyard use

I work in theatres and nightclubs, and even outdoors a flashlight comes in handy for poking around in the back of equipment racks.
By working in the entertainment industry I get lots of chances to sell the lights I don't need, so it all works out, sort of...

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

1. I'm somewhat of a collector, but being hardcore would depend on who you ask or compare me to. To me a collector is a person who buys the lights to have, not because they have a use for them. As for what makes me a collector, I would have to say it's because I have more lights than I can really use.

2. Every light? No, but I do have more than I really need... there is one specific brand that I have a few "collection" lights of, and if it's from another company and lights up it is probably one of my user lights. As a general rule if I don't like a light I don't keep it, even if it is collectable.

-Mike

Andreas

Enlightened

1. Not me if I were my wife would be pissed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

2. Not me if I did my wife would be pissed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Dr_Joe

Enlightened

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif[ QUOTE ]
Andreas said:
1. Not me if I were my wife would be pissed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

2. Not me if I did my wife would be pissed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, now for the answers to your questions.....

This feels like a 12 step meeting of some kind
Hi, I'm Joe, and I'm a flashaholic..../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drunk.gif

1a: Hard core, me... NO WAY ! Well, I suppose if you were outside looking in you might think so. I mean, after all, I really don't have any identifiable needs for any flashlights, but I do own hundreds. (frightening huh) I can't really pass up a nice flashlight for sale without buying one... and maybe one more for the road. In fact, now that I think about it, I've never sold a flashlight, I just keep buying. If I keep this up, eventually they'll ALL BE MINE ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

I do occassionally play with a flashlight when I first wake-up as an "eye-opener"

But I'm not addicted, I can stop at anytime. Really ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mpr.gif

1b: I'm sure it has something to do with my childhood. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif I don't remember fearing the dark or being abused, but clearly this addiction is NOT normal !!! I have been fascinated with flashlights for as long as I can remember. My father was a physician and could never find a "penlight" in his labcoat or bag because I had them all !

2a: No

2b: I wish I could tell you ! My collecting seems to have two scopes, One is "smaller and brighter", (think Ichishiki) and the other is "brighter, brighter, BRIGHTER !" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/aaa.gif(think Maxa Beam) Most of my lights fall into these two categories

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
CromagNet said:
1. Would you classify yourself as a "hard core" flashlight collector?
What do you think makes you a flashlight collector?

2. Do you have to have every "collectable" flashlight that has come out?
What characteristics make a flashlight collectable to you?

[/ QUOTE ]
1a: Not really. I operate an evaluation website, so I became a flashlight collector as "part of the job". But when I see a flashlight that's old or unique at a thrift store or yard sale or something, I'll buy it if I have the money on me at the time.
1b: If I find something old or particular unusual, I'd consider buying it, even if it's obsolete by today's standards.

2a: Most definitely no.
2b: If I find something old or particularly unusual, I'd consider it a collectible. For example, although I'd consider an Eveready Big Jim obsolete by today's standards, I'd buy one if I saw it and had enough money at the time.

Kirk

Enlightened

1a. Yes, I've spent way too much for some of my lights and I will spend even more.
1b. I buy, or try to buy, just about any light that catches my eye--old or new.
2a. No, I don't have to have a lot of the new lights even though I have quite a few Surefires and a bunch of LED lights. I tend to collect the old stuff. Flashlights from the 1920s through the 1950s just look cool.
2b. The looks of them: Candlelights, lanterns, wall-mounted pull-chain lights. Lights that were "hi-tech" in their day and still have a certain flair even today.