Flashlight O-Ring grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stromberg

Enlightened
I have small tube of "Unick Silicone heat transfer compound" that is normally used between electronic components and heatsinks. Can anyone recommend using that for o-rings?

Last edited:

Gladius01

Enlightened
As alot of people in this tread mentions about Vaseline, I used Vaseline and it works fine for me and I don't have any problem at all and it is cheap and you can get this almost every where. Also I used motorbike chain lube.

Last edited:

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have small tube of "Unick Silicone heat transfer compound" that is normally used between electronic components and heatsinks. Can anyone recommend using that for o-rings?
Although it might be ok, you can surely do better. The primary function of a thermal compound isn't to lubricate but to aid in transferring heat. The primary reason for greasing an o-ring is to lubricate it.

c_c

Torque1st

Enlightened
I would not use the thermal compound. It is not a good lubricant. The silicone carrier migrates away leaving a thick white paste that would act more like glue than a lubricant.

Most O-rings are made from Buna-N material, safe with petroleum products. There are other types of materials but they are only used for special applications where some exotic chemical is involved. When in doubt, think Buna-N first.

Last edited:

Khaytsus

Enlightened
I suggest you try one o-ring with a lubricant first, and make sure you can replace it first.

I tried a random lubricant on a Fenix o-ring and it doubled in size in a few minutes. I have yet to find a replacement for it at a hardware store, but the 47's at the Fenix Store helped me out.

Next time I order from there I'll get the lubricant he's selling.. Doesn't insulate electricity and a good lubricant. I don't have dozens of lights to lube so it should last me quite a while.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been a SCUBA diver for 40 years and have used silicone grease from the dive shop for camera and flashlight o-rings. I recently found the exact same stuff in the same little tub at Home Depot for a fraction of the price. It is translucent white and is a little sticky. It's good to clean the groove with a soft toothbrush and roll the o-rings between your thumb and forefinger to get a light coating of silicone on the rings.

This is what I use too, its called dielectrical grease/tune up grease/spark plug grease at automotive section and only a few bucks for a tube size of toothpaste.

Torque1st

Enlightened
Careful of "random" lubricants. Many have solvents in them meant to aid penetration etc that will swell O-rings and other seals.

Bort

Newly Enlightened
I use Teflon grease that I puchased at a swimming pool supply house. It is designed specifically for o-rings, and is very reasonably priced. It makes the threads unscrew very smoothly for aluminum to aluminum threads compared to silicone dielectric grease. I also use this stuff for all of the o rings on an engine powered by Methanol, and it works well. Methanol is extremely corrosive ,and is brutal on rubber, and synthetic rubber products.

Stromberg

Enlightened
Thanks Curious_character and Torque1st. I'll get some silicone grease so I can be sure that I don't ruin the o-rings.

afterglow

Newly Enlightened
A stupid question just came into my mind: Would jig-a-loo be a good lubricant for flashlights?

Spence

Enlightened
I use something no one has mentioned yet, WHITE LITHIUM GREASE. I use a Q-tip to apply it, carefully, to the threads and to the O-rings. Because it's white, it's easy to see and clean up. It turns rough metalic threads to turn smoothly, and I like smooth. Nobody on CPF has criticized it yet.
:whistle:

Torque1st

Enlightened
I use something no one has mentioned yet, WHITE LITHIUM GREASE. I use a Q-tip to apply it, carefully, to the threads and to the O-rings. Because it's white, it's easy to see and clean up. It turns rough metalic threads to turn smoothly, and I like smooth. Nobody on CPF has criticized it yet.
:whistle:
White lithium, like any light petroleum based grease, would work well. It is cheap and readily available, just not as common in regular households as Vaseline.

Jig-a-loo is one of those "random" lubricants with an exceptionally large solvent composition. Personally I would not use it.
From the MSDS:
Hazardous Ingredients____%
-------------------------------------
METHYLENE CHLORIDE____30-60
PERCHLOROETHYLENE____10-30
ISOBUTANE_____________7-13
PROPANE_______________5-10

Last edited:

Bror Jace

Enlightened
Yes, a bazillion threads here about greases and lubricants. Search feature brings them up easily using either word.

I've used white lithium grease on o-rings for paintball cylinders, both compressed air and CO2 ... had some of them last for years while other people I played with would replace their o-rings after just a couple of fills because they used gun oil on theirs. :shakehead

The lastest and greatest lubricant for o-rings is DuPont Krytox. It came out of one of the space programs. 100% Krytox is frighteningly expensive but many different lubes are formulated with some portion of this amazingly stable grease.

I use Leslies Pool & Spa o-ring grease with Krytox:

http://www.lesliespool.com/shopping...DUCT&iMainCat=629&iSubCat=643&iProductID=8728

Albinoni

Banned
Is it ok to put a very small amount of grease/lube around the thread of the cap where you unscrew to put the batteries in, thing is one of my torches works fine but when I unscrew the battery cap I get a very slight sqeaking sound, nothing bad or serious.

DM51

Flashaholic
This is a totally absurd thread, containing some of the stupidest and most fatuous suggestions yet on this already grossly over-worked subject.

Divers, and anyone else who wants to keep their light waterproof and free from O-ring failure, should always use silicone grease. Period.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.