Flashlightreviews.com going away...

paulr

Flashaholic
Wow, is Doug still around? I hope he can fix that.

What about uploading the FR archive to the CPF server, if Greta will allow it?

Wait, it looks to me like the content is right there at flashlightreviews.com? Maybe Doug worked out a deal with the domain purchaser.

Anyway I think it would be good for a few CPF'ers to stash private copies of the data, unless Doug objects.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I noticed that yesterday - looking for an old review. But if you go to www.flashlightreviews.com - you get to a site which has all of the old review with new ones too - purports to be reviews by lightreviewas.com including many new lights.

Go into the main review page and you get all of Doug's old reviews (as far as I can tell - I found the one I was looking for - Gerber Inferno or as it should be called - Gerber Bleeding Infernal Waste of Money and Effort - :devil:)

No Idea if Doug still watches from his mount. Good luck to him though.

EDIT - Following what I wrote above - it seems that someone has nicked the new reviews as well as the old. What a creep! This is not a legit site? Anyone know if it's safe to browse there??

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
The guy who Doug (Quickbeam) sold the URL to took the old FlashlightReviews.com reviews (which Doug did not sell rights to) and is copying other people's reviews from other sites.

In essence, it is a rogue site that is completely illegitimate and no longer trustworthy.

A real shame, but there is nothing we can do.

Max Brightness

Enlightened
Very true. I randomly selected a review for a light that I have, the Olight M30 Triton. I skimmed the review and noticed these two errors and didn't read to find others.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/olight_m30.htm

1) Starts of with Light type: Luxeon I. Later at the bottom of the review it correctly notes a Cree MC-E.

2) Another location it states "What I didn't like: Battery life is a little short on Alkalines, probably much better with NiMH." Later in the review it correctly states the Power type is 2x18650 or 3xCR123.

I used to use this site extensively when Quickbeam did the reviews. I now don't have much confidence in the site. Some people know how to do reviews (like Quickbeam and others) and some don't.

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess some of the complaints were taken to heart by the new owner. At the bottom of some of the review pages he gives credit to light-reviews.com who actually did the review...