Flashlightreviews.com going away...

rockz4532

Enlightened
To tell the truth, I was trying to get on the site a couple minutes ago, didnt work, so I went to CPF...
Please keep the site running, I found it before CPF.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I, too, visited your site before I even heard of CPF. It taught me a lot about LEDs and flashlights in general in my formative years. Thank you so much, and please, keep us posted!

VF1Jskull1

Enlightened
your site made me see the light of things on lumens, throw and overall output... oh yeah don't forget the runtime charts too.... keep archive info available. bought the dorcy 1W 3D because of your review.

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like many others have also found flashlightreviews indespensible. I was sorry to see you cease adding reviews a while ago - I fully understand and respect that decision - but I really do hope the site can be preserved somewhere and isn't lost completely. As others have echoed the site contains a wealth of useful information and it along with CPF got me hooked originally.

Please please keep it. Thank you :)

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your comments!

I'm working on getting it up and running as a subdomain of my other domain. Right now, the DNS is being a beotch and I can't get it to update correctly... Stupid hosting service...

When it's done it should be piggybacking on woodlandsconnection.com, so the archive will be at:

flashlightreviews.woodlandsconnection.com

(I think it may be too short.... hmmmm... :) )

Hopefully woodlandsconnection will come up overnight and then I can upload the archive...

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm working on getting it up and running as a subdomain of my other domain. Right now, the DNS is being a beotch and I can't get it to update correctly... Stupid hosting service...

When it's done it should be piggybacking on woodlandsconnection.com, so the archive will be at:

Hopefully woodlandsconnection will come up overnight and then I can upload the archive...
Doug. I've communicated with you a few times over the years (though you likely don't remember). I also have to say that I am yet another person who would not have become the flashaholic that I am today if it had not been for your site. I owe my entire collection to having found the truth of good lights through you.

So here I will go toss out yet another offer of hosting if you are unable to bring things back up online. I am just starting off with my own flashlight review site and I would be honored to host your site either on a subdomain or purchase a second domain for my space. Storage and bandwidth are not a concern because I have unlimited of both.

Otherwise, just post up your new locale so we all can bookmark it! Thanks again for all your inspiration!

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Again, thank you for your wonderful work - I'll keep it brief since you've read it all by now, but you got me through Hurricane Charlie & friends back in 2004 -- with the Inova X5 you convinced me to buy. I had about one hour that week of free time, and I used it to drive to a Discovery Channel store 45 minutes away. (I stretched the hour a bit.)

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doug, you have got to know that your site was THE SITE that I based just about every flashlight purchase on. (with The LED Museum running a very close second) I would print out copies of your ratings listings of lights before I went to do any flashlight shopping and take it with me as a guide so I knew what lights I should be looking at. I prided myself on buying as many of your top picks as I could afford and/or wanted to buy.

Please, please keep your work alive in some way for us. I would gladly PP you for a CDROM copy(or whatever media you choose) of your site information.

You brought so many of us into the light, literally, when some of us had nothing else to go by until we (I) found Craig's LED Museum and CPF.

When I heard and saw that you were not doing any more reviews, my heart sank. I felt like I was losing my best friend.

I and many of us thank you so very much for your invaluable labor of love and light with FlashlightReviews. Your work and input into our community will be sorely missed.:sigh:

Monocrom

Flashaholic

That's great news. Thank You for preserving the information and the reviews.

Edit ~

Just realized I posted a thumbs-up icon at where it says the site is going away. Ooops! The thumbs-up was for the content on the site being preserved.

Last edited:

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah Doug, like everyone said so far....and some. That site of yours is where it all started for me.......and now I am addicted, my wife says, at least you are not in the pub so its not too bad.......glad the info is saved.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
...When it's done it should be piggybacking on woodlandsconnection.com, so the archive will be at:

When it is in working order, I'll gladly publish it on my "Other Flashlight Reviews" web page, so that others may enjoy it as I've enjoyed it over the years. :)

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
New update -

Just received an email from the buyer. Turns out they wanted to purchase both the domain name AND the content. They said they wanted to purchase "the domain". Perhaps it's just my misunderstanding, but "domain" = "name" in my book.

I just let them know the content is not for sale but the domain name is.

Stay tuned for the next exciting episode... :rolleyes:

In the meantime, the site is available via:

http://flashlightreviews.woodlandsconnection.com

If the domain name doesn't sell, I can play a trick with the DNS so that http://www.flashlightreviews.com still works :)