Flashlightreviews.com going away...

saabgoblin

Enlightened
Doug, I'd be in the dark without you, quite literally, but whatever you decide upon I hope that it is the best option for you and thank you once again for creating such a wonderful and educative site on the web.

Robert

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one other domain name that I own. I may be able to switch the FlashlightReviews.com server space over to the new domain name. That would allow people to still access the information, but under a completely different and unrelated domain name. I'll look and see if this is feasable.

The entire web site takes up about 100 meg.

Doug P.

Doug,

If you aren't able to host the contents at a new domain name, then please allow me to do so. I'd be happy to host it if you can't.

And please, please, PLEASE understand that you and your work are held in the highest esteem here on CPF. We may not express it as much as we should, and a few bad apples here and there may even have complained at times, but 99.99 percent of us feel an immense amount of gratitude for all that you did for our hobby.

Thank you, Doug. You are an inspiration.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, I just noticed that someone more powerful and much cooler than me has thoughtfully added some clarifying text regarding my avatar. :)

I don't know how someone could mistake Kate Beckinsale for Michael Jackson, but it takes all kinds to make a world, I guess.

UpChUcK

Enlightened
Ah, I just noticed that someone more powerful and much cooler than me has thoughtfully added some clarifying text regarding my avatar. :)

I don't know how someone could mistake Kate Beckinsale for Michael Jackson, but it takes all kinds to make a world, I guess.

Kate ROCKS!!! And so does, er did, flashlightreviews.com. Thinking back, that site got me hooked on flashlights. Hope there is some way to salvage the wealth of info there.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
When my own website was threatened with extinction in mid-2004, I suggested using a utility called "Webreaper" on it; it's available at http://www.webreaper.net/
Webreaper will suck all of the data off the target website and deposit it locally, where it can then be zipped into an archive and/or blown onto a writeable CD.

carrot

Flashaholic
If it is only 100MB I will wget mirror it and put it up on Rapidshare in parts, if you are OK with that. Unless you mean 100GB, which is more space than I have free at this time.

By the way, thanks for writing and running FlashlightReviews all these years.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
When my own website was threatened with extinction in mid-2004, I suggested using a utility called "Webreaper" on it; it's available at http://www.webreaper.net/
Webreaper will suck all of the data off the target website and deposit it locally, where it can then be zipped into an archive and/or blown onto a writeable CD.

Doesn't work, none of the image and menu script is working.

sygyzy

Enlightened
Please please please save the content. If push comes to shove, I will offer to host this. DO NOT let all this data go to waste.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it is only 100MB I will wget mirror it and put it up on Rapidshare in parts, if you are OK with that. Unless you mean 100GB, which is more space than I have free at this time.

By the way, thanks for writing and running FlashlightReviews all these years.

If you could please do, I could not get any archive program to work, always have something not working.

Flic

Enlightened
I for one would be prepared to BUY a CD/DVD version of the site. I also wish the site content can continue to be available online, so I support any efforts to continue host it!!

Without this site I would never have gotten involved in this great hobby. It has also saved me a lot of money in my past purchases. I've never bought a dud thanks to Doug.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
woah! Wasn't really expecting this much input!

I'm not keen on selling the domain name, but it's a very good offer.

Since there's so much interest, I'll do what I can to keep the data available. It looks like my provider can allow me to change the domain name associated with the server space. If that's the case, it'll be in a subdirectory of the new domain name as an archive, so you would just have to click a separate link on the main page or direct link to get there.

I havn't messed with webhosting in a long time, so I have to figure out the whole process...

If I can't, I'll send the whole kit and kaboodle to JS or someone who would like to host it as an archive...

I'm going to try some testing, so the site may go down sometime this weekend. I'll post the results here.

Doug P.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the work you've done over the years Doug.

I've used your site numerous times to assist in buying decisions on older lights. The runtime plots in particular were extremely valuable for me.

I'll archive the individual pages I have bookmarked, but echo all the others'; if at all possible, the content should somehow be preserved.

losabio

Newly Enlightened
Flashlightreviews was a tremendous repository of information that I consulted quite often. Thanks Doug for all your hard work over the years.

1dash1

Enlightened
Quickbeam:

All things must come to pass. I, like many others, have thoroughly enjoyed and benefited from your work.
:thanks:

And it would be a tragedy if the hard-earned info was lost, so I hope something can be worked out in that respect.

ypsifly

Enlightened
Thank you Quickbeam for a very helpful site! I've used it several times when considering buying a new light. I've found the pics (especially the size comparisons), run time plots, and your likes/dislikes to be most informative.