Flashlights in TV shows and movies (Part 4)

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
John Goodman's character in Arachnophobia uses a silver D-cell Mag-Lite with a weird gooseneck attachment. Don't know if that was a prop or something that actually existed at one point.

Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt grab a pair of Magchargers at the beginning of Se7en.

There's an old Streamlight SL-15 in a weapon mount during the opening sequence to Jurassic Park. That's in addition to all the Maxabeams and what I think are UKE or Pelican dive lights.

goofyman

Newly Enlightened
Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 18.24.57.png

You know I love CSI this is from 2010 but I don't know what for a flashlight Nick is holding ?

rrego

Enlightened
I gifted one to an LEO and have one so I know it well. Not a bad light but I prefer the Xenon Scorpion.
Yes, xenon Scorpion 🦂!

I have two NOS and a user that I put a Tad Customs 3718 bulb in the bi-pin socket, gives a nice light, just a "Tad" 😁 brighter than when I was running a Strion bulb in it.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I still have an inca. SL Scorpion in storage, somewhere.
Long before I discovered SureFire or CPF, I was walking through Manhattan as a teenager back in the very early 1990s at night. Literally next door from the Ed Sullivan theater was a tourist shop that also sold electronics. Places like that were common as dirt back in the day. With all of the fancy electronic items typically being 3x or 4x what they normally sold for.

In the side window was an inca. SL Scorpion in a nice presentation/gift box, with batteries. It looked beautiful. This was back when I was seriously considering EDCing a flashlight. But not knowing anything about Streamlight at all at the time, I passed. My first SL turned out to be an LED version of the TL-2. Nice carry-clip but anemic at only 42 lumens. Few years later, did buy an inca. SL Scorpion. Just an underrated light.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was playing with mine today. Along with a Strion Xenon, StingerXT Xenon, Stinger Classic LED, and some other lights.

I first seen it on Cast Away in theatres and wanted to know what it was. Almost a decade later with CPF's help and Amazon I got one. Now I have a few more including one new in package.

When I was being transported as a prisoner I seen a clip version on the vest of a US Marshall and thought it was aftermarket but after researching it I see it was a factory option. If they weren't $55 last year on Egay I would have bought one.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
When I was being transported as a prisoner I seen a clip version on the vest of a US Marshall and thought it was aftermarket but after researching it I see it was a factory option. If they weren't $55 last year on Egay I would have bought one.
There was a clip option?
One of the main reasons I bought that LED TL-2 over the Scorpion was because the Scorpion didn't have a clip.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently watched the movie "6 Days" based on the British SAS response to the 1980 Iranian Embassy Seige, I noted rather large Maglite's mounted to the firearms, not a bad movie overall.

1711641579694.png

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
At the time in 1980 they used Streamlight SL-20s in Laser Products (yes, that Laser Products) mounting rails with remote switches. In later movies or publicity photos it's often something else kludged together, since not many of the original mounts were made and Mag-Lites are easier to get. There's a popular photo of SAS guys with a Mag taped to an MP5, but as far as I know that was staged for a film production.

Last edited:

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently watched the movie "6 Days" based on the British SAS response to the 1980 Iranian Embassy Seige, I noted rather large Maglite's mounted to the firearms, not a bad movie overall.

View attachment 59819
This sure brings back some memories. I was a Naval Photographer stationed on the aircraft carrier USS Nimitz when this happened. We were in the gulf for 6 months and launched the failed rescue attempt off the Nimitz. Another photographer and I went with them to cover it. OMG! I have never been so scared in my life.

Last edited:

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
At the time in 1980 they used Streamlight SL-20s in Laser Products (yes, that Laser Products) mounting rails with remote switches. In later movies or publicity photos it's often something else kludged together, since not many of the original mounts were made and Mag-Lites are easier to get.

I stand corrected, thank you the profile of the head of the flashlight is unmistakable on further inspection (y)

1711646905755.png