Flashlights & security officers

bigdaddy

Newly Enlightened
hee~ the big size LED maglight would be suitable for security guard, reasonably bright and can be use as a club.:lolsign:
Better still go for the Borealis.

copperfox

Enlightened
Never heard of rechargeable Li-Ion batteries (like AW's protected cells)? these can be had relatively cheaply around $10.00 USD each, with a basic charger not much more the the cost of a couple of cells... this is what allows me to fully utilize my multi-mode Cree SureFire 6P (rather than just admire it's build quality) :grin2:

Of course I have heard of rechargeable CR123s, but buying a surefire plus two RCR123 and a charger don't fit in his $50 budget. :twak:

jusval

Enlightened
Summary of flashlight suggestions so far

OK, I picked out the suggestions from all the posts and I have put them down here alphabetically....

Fenix E20
Fenix L2D / LD20
Inova T1 2008
Jetbeam Jet III
Maglite 2D or 3D l.e.d. (I Have)
MicroFire K3500R
MiniMag x3 AA LED
MVP TurboForce P7
Pelican 8060
Pelican PM6 3330 LED
Romisen Cree RC-N3
Search for Mag11, Mag85
Surefire 9P with the R2 drop-in
Surefire E2L
Surefire G2 incandescent
Surefire G2, Brinkmann Maxfire, or Streamlight Scorpion
Surefire G3L
Surefire HOLA M3/M4 TurboHead
Taskforce2C light with Cree XR-E
TrustFire TR-B3
Ultra stinger
Ultrafire C2 w/ 18650
Ultrafire wf-500 w/AW 18650's
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have done much looking and reading and viewing photos and videos. I think I know something of what I want now (at the moment, as opposed to next week ;)). For my main light, I want a wide path blaster that will light up as much as can be in front of and to the sides of me. At Least 300 Lumens, but more is Better!! As I walk the warehouse, I want to look down the main aisles and see as far as I can and to the sides of the aisles. I'm talking aisles 50ft across and 400-1,000ft long (it's a big warehouse). I want to see as far ahead as possible with a bright white light.... For my secondary light (a clip or sheath light), I want a little narrower beam that concentrates a bright white light in a smaller area, more for close-ups, not for large areas. At least 150 Lumens, but again, More is Better!!

Ok, so I think I need an Incan for my main light and one that floods more than throws. Then for the second light I think an L.E.D. might work or an Incan, either way. I like the idea of having both lights use the same batteries, so it will probably have to be Lithium for that. It looks like a lot of all size lights use 18650's, so that's probably the best direction... OR, just use the primary like the Coleman Spotlight or any of that style with the sealed battery and then the secondary light could be any type of battery, like AA or AAA or 123A.......

Still way too many choices and if I want 2 flashlights I will have to exceed the $50 mark, so I will have to stagger the purchases out. For now I would go for the Primary light and the secondary later.....

Here's my short list of a few that I might consider in my price range, but I am still, still, still????!!!! Researching!:rolleyes:

Aurora AK-P7-5 HA-III SSC P7-C 2-Mode 900 Lumen@ 50 minutes - 1 x 18650 battery

Ultrafire wf-500 500 Lumen - two 18650 / 18500 batteries

X2000 Flood-to-Throw Zooming Glass Optics Cree P4-WC - Uses 1x 18650 battery

SmallSun ZY-C62 Cree Q3-WC 130-Lumen@ 1-1.5 hours - Uses 2 x AA

I like the looks of the beam on the Aurora and I like the thought of the Aurora & the X2000, since they both use 1 18650. I know that the Aurora can't be near 900 Lumens and it would be nice for manufacturers to be truthful.... Probably the Chinese to English conversion :D

I am looking at some of the "Lantern" style, like the Coleman also.....

Vector Sport Spot Twin Beam 3,000,000 Candle Rechargeable Spotlight
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001ZTJDS/?tag=cpf0b6-20
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=465856

I think that I will use this for my main light along with my Brinkman. It holds Two 6V batteries and the reviews on it (Amazon & Sportsman's reviews are overall good). I know it's not a lifetime light, but I take pretty good care of my stuff and It should last a while. With the price of this, I can still get an AA battery pocket flashlight as well......... I think I'm set for now......... Unless........ Someone here has the Vector and has found it to be junk......... Can't be much worse than Brinkman lights........

Last edited:

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your LED conversion for the Mag - are you using a "Mag" LED conversion or a Niteize model?

The one 2D cell Mag LED conversion I dropped into a Fulton L-Bend was a bright white output.

The x3 AAA MiniMag LED I sport now for casual work is also a bright white.

Either way, good luck with your selections.

-Trevor

jusval

Enlightened
Your LED conversion for the Mag - are you using a "Mag" LED conversion or a Niteize model?

The one 2D cell Mag LED conversion I dropped into a Fulton L-Bend was a bright white output.

The x3 AAA MiniMag LED I sport now for casual work is also a bright white.

Either way, good luck with your selections.

-Trevor

It was the Mag conversion. Done when they first came out with them. It's a blue light and it's dim. Just as dim as it was with the regular bulb. I have never had a Mag I liked. They never focus well, always oblong with dark spots and never enough power. Even a 6D is dim and yellow looking (at least to me it is).

djblank87

Enlightened
Why not buy a Sam's Club HID for $55.00 off of ebay and call it a day. Plug it in and it recharges and it is bright enough for anything you need. Of course you would still need something small to carry on you're duty belt but if you don't mind carrying a spotlight sized light, you cannot beat the Sams Club HID.

Last edited:

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya, I like the idea of the 500 or even one of the SSC P7's like the Trustfire. I think they would work for large areas. I don't think either of them have much longevity though. In the back of my mind I still think about one of the 12v, 18, 24v rechargeables like Makita or several other brands, more industrial, more flood, 35W to 55W bulbs and way too much light...... WAY TOO MANY flashlights to look at and think about..... More than I ever dreamed of!! Gives me a headache. ;)

Your notion that the 500 will not last long is off base. My caretaker in a coffee farm with no power uses the one I issued to him every night. Has recharged the two 18650´s every three days for over a year and a half and zero problems. I think the charger and batteries will still go a long way towards the 300-500 cycles area with no problem. If a problem develops with the WF-139 charger I will replace it with a new one from dealextreme.com at $12 shipped. The 18650´s replacement will cost another $14. You hear tons of stories with other lights but I´ll tell you this light has been subject to heavy use with no problem.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course I have heard of rechargeable CR123s, but buying a surefire plus two RCR123 and a charger don't fit in his $50 budget. :twak:

No I guess they're not... but pretty much any light and a few batteries later you'll be looking at about the same outlay, then there's that nice Surefire build quality to consider! :touche:

Snow

Enlightened
Why not buy a Sam's Club HID for $55.00 off of ebay and call it a day. Plug it in and it recharges and it is bright enough for anything you need. Of course you would still need something small to carry on you're duty belt but if you don't mind carrying a spotlight sized light, you cannot beat the Sams Club HID.

That's what I was thinking. I have 2 that I got for $25 apiece including shipping. Then a $25 Streamlight 4xAA Propolymer using his NiMH batteries and he is good to go.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The problem with the Pelican 3330 LED is that it is a poorly designed light. There's no tailcap. The polymer body simple extends to where you'd normally expect to see a tailcap, and then you find the rubber boot on the end. This means that battery changes must be done by unscrewing the head. But the LED lamp has a tendency to stay attached to the end of the body. Sometimes you have to pry it out of the body of the light, so you can change the batteries. Careful not to touch the inside of the reflector.

On my 3330, the body warped just a bit. Likely due to using it in very cold weather. I have to push the cells down into the body, and shake dead cells loose. Battery changes are a bit of a headache.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
You forgot the Fenix L1T and L2T version 2.0 in your list. Both are under $50 at Lighthound.com, though shipping would make them a little more. If you have a Costco card, the L1T and Leatherman Blast is a good deal for $50. Keep in mind that if you find the L1T's 98 lumens to not be enough, a $13 L2D body will make it a 152 lumen L2T. The P2D, L1D, L1T, L2D, and L2T bodies are interchangeable with each other's heads in case you want to change the battery type or size of the light at a later time.

By the way, you may want to be careful buying lights on ebay. You don't always get what you ordered. For example, that P1D CE Q5 that you left a link to could be an old 3 watt P1D. The P1D CE Q5s have "Premium Q5" written on their heads. From the two pictures, you can't see that writing. Some people copy and paste the information about a light under the light that they are selling not knowing that there was an upgrade that makes the light better. Some people just don't care. By the way, the real P1D CE Q5 is available from Lighthound.com for $50 so you don't have to take the pointless risk on ebay. Also, you should know that the P1D CE Q5 doesn't have a push button switch. You have to twist the head back and forth to turn it on and change levels, and you can't change the body like the other lights I listed.

The Fenix E20 would probably be a good choice since it's about the only Fenix light within your budget including shipping. It's above 100 lumens and takes 2AAs for decent runtime, brightness, and remaining cheap to operate. At $35, you could spring for some decent NiMH rechargeable batteries (Eneloops) and maybe a cheap charger.

Last edited:

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
The problem with the Pelican 3330 LED is that it is a poorly designed light. There's no tailcap. The polymer body simple extends to where you'd normally expect to see a tailcap, and then you find the rubber boot on the end. This means that battery changes must be done by unscrewing the head. But the LED lamp has a tendency to stay attached to the end of the body. Sometimes you have to pry it out of the body of the light, so you can change the batteries. Careful not to touch the inside of the reflector.

On my 3330, the body warped just a bit. Likely due to using it in very cold weather. I have to push the cells down into the body, and shake dead cells loose. Battery changes are a bit of a headache.

that i didn't know. the Pelican M6 2320 would be a better light in this case, built-wise. just replace the original incand module with a DX-styled LED replacement for a longer runtime. waalaa... :grin2:

oh, their LED version, 2330 runtime is far from fantastic by today's standards & the 2390 is rather overpriced. but i have never needed tailcap replacements for mine. :thumbsup:

bones_708

Enlightened
There are reasons that Mag lights and Streamlights are far and away the most popular public safety lights out there. While there are a lot of great lights I would start with one of those and then go from there. Cost seems to be a factor and with what noncom work pays I can understand that so here is an idea. Hit as many pawn shops in the area as you can to see if any cops or security sold a magcharger or streamlight sl-20x. You can get a light you know will work for a discount. If you look here you will find some for sale also. The led upgrades are much better now but they will not give you big increases on brightness, the bonus is more in runtime.

Also not to be picky but the Texas board requires training before any security can carry a baton or pepper spray. Texas penal code requires you to be commissioned to carry a club (baton). Any flashlight over 3-D size (13 1/2") can be considered a club and you can be prosicuted for it's use as an impact weapon. Be careful who you listen to because it's amazing the bad info you can pick up.

bigdaddy

Newly Enlightened
Also not to be picky but the Texas board requires training before any security can carry a baton or pepper spray. Texas penal code requires you to be commissioned to carry a club (baton). Any flashlight over 3-D size (13 1/2") can be considered a club and you can be prosicuted for it's use as an impact weapon. Be careful who you listen to because it's amazing the bad info you can pick up.

That's a very good advise. Be sure u are trained first and use it solely for self defense in life threatening situation only. :wave:

bigdaddy

Newly Enlightened
Do check out the Pelican 7060 flashlight used by the LAPD. :thumbsup:

jusval

Enlightened
That's what I was thinking. I have 2 that I got for $25 apiece including shipping. Then a $25 Streamlight 4xAA Propolymer using his NiMH batteries and he is good to go.

I don't know the details of how you got the HID lights for $25 including shipping, but there are none on ebay, at least doing a search for HID or even spotlight produces no spotlights for $25.

The Vector Twin is $21 but shipping added, so it's $30 and would work fine, but if you know where there are $25 HID's I would most surely be interested.

Last edited:

jusval

Enlightened

I'm glad you told me that. I talked to my boss and that's why they do not allow anyone to use pepper spray or batons here. Also because the company they contract from does not allow it. The policy is "avoidance" or better know as "run away". I told my boss "most of us old farts can't run away". He said "there's always a risk in security - no weapons".

I understand not carrying anything. I mean non-comissioned security are just "joe citizen" we have no more rights than any citizen. We cannot do any more than "that plumber guy Joe" can, so we shouldn't be carrying anything.

jusval

Enlightened
You forgot the Fenix L1T and L2T version 2.0 in your list. Both are under $50 at Lighthound.com, though shipping would make them a little more. If you have a Costco card, the L1T and Leatherman Blast is a good deal for $50. Keep in mind that if you find the L1T's 98 lumens to not be enough, a $13 L2D body will make it a 152 lumen L2T. The P2D, L1D, L1T, L2D, and L2T bodies are interchangeable with each other's heads in case you want to change the battery type or size of the light at a later time.

By the way, you may want to be careful buying lights on ebay. You don't always get what you ordered. For example, that P1D CE Q5 that you left a link to could be an old 3 watt P1D. The P1D CE Q5s have "Premium Q5" written on their heads. From the two pictures, you can't see that writing. Some people copy and paste the information about a light under the light that they are selling not knowing that there was an upgrade that makes the light better. Some people just don't care. By the way, the real P1D CE Q5 is available from Lighthound.com for $50 so you don't have to take the pointless risk on ebay. Also, you should know that the P1D CE Q5 doesn't have a push button switch. You have to twist the head back and forth to turn it on and change levels, and you can't change the body like the other lights I listed.

The Fenix E20 would probably be a good choice since it's about the only Fenix light within your budget including shipping. It's above 100 lumens and takes 2AAs for decent runtime, brightness, and remaining cheap to operate. At $35, you could spring for some decent NiMH rechargeable batteries (Eneloops) and maybe a cheap charger.

Yes you are Hooked on Fenix-----------

The E20 has a focus-adjustable head. That's what I liked about the X2000 so I'm wondering what other flashlights (smaller lights, 2-3AA or 3AAA or 123A, etc.) that are "Focus Adjustable" other than the E20, the Maglite and the X200??

Anyone?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm glad you told me that. I talked to my boss and that's why they do not allow anyone to use pepper spray or batons here. Also because the company they contract from does not allow it. The policy is "avoidance" or better know as "run away". I told my boss "most of us old farts can't run away". He said "there's always a risk in security - no weapons".

Gee, an account-manager not giving a $#^% about the safety of his guards. How very not surprising. Security account-managers are the scum of the earth. They can't even be bothered to pretend to care about the safety of those who work under them. When some idiot totalled my car, while I was in it, this past April; my account-manager was informed by the security supervisor about the accident. I took the next day off, planning to get checked out by a doctor. Miracle I survived, with no broken bones. Before the next day came, the security supervisor (a decent human being) called me with a message from my account-manager....

The only thing that scumbag wanted to know was if I could work a double on Friday for having taken off Thursday. He no longer stops by the client's site during my shift. He knows I hate him with a passion. He knows better than to stop by while I'm on duty.

I understand not carrying anything. I mean non-comissioned security are just "joe citizen" we have no more rights than any citizen. We cannot do any more than "that plumber guy Joe" can, so we shouldn't be carrying anything.

Don't agree with your account-manager! The only thing he cares about is not getting the company sued because one of the guards he's responsible for dared to defend himself from a dangerous attacker. See, if you get stabbed to death while on the job; that's okay. You pepper-spray a violent intruder to keep from getting killed or serious injured, that's not okay. Now both the client and the company you work for get sued, and your boss looks bad. That's what he cares about.

You're right, we don't have extra rights. But when I'm in my street clothes, I have more options for self-defense items that I can carry. I only have to worry about the law. In uniform, I have to follow company policy that is geared towards the company not getting sued. If that compromises my safety, the company doesn't give a $#^%!

I'm lucky that I work in a place where access is strictly controlled. No one gets in unless they're supposed to be there. I'm not saying you should break company policy and carry pepper-spray or any other self-defense item. I'm just saying that you should be aware of the fact that your company and boss don't give a f**k about you.