Flashoholic in the news today - possible world record

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
English translation below.
They did of course take the worst picture of me. Oh well...

MT_small.jpg

Larger picture

Main picture text:
Conversation subject in the western Sweden. That was what became of the large Advent candlestick Andreas built 2004 using 60 watt incandescent bulbs. Now he have built a de luxe variant which illuminates the street outside his home.

Smaller picture text:
Record candlestick. Anderas Winnberg's Advent candlestick shines strongly. As a comparison with his neighbors Christmas decorations is Andreas creation extremely bright, look at the window above Andreas. Photo: JOHAN WALLIN

Heading:
The worlds brightest Advent candlestick?

Main body:
MORA
A record with the world strongest light. It might prove that 22 year old Andreas Winnberg from Mora which does/beats it. He has built an "de luxe" Advent candlestick. It shines like 1100 normal seven-arm Advent candlesticks and consumes 2800 watt.
- I can only have it lit for short periods. It develops the same (amount) of heat like running your oven at full power, says the creator Andreas Winnberg.

Andreas has some ingenious ideas already in high school where he studied natural science.
- In my high school graduation teasis/work I built an adjustable sun panel which tracked the sun. It didn't became as visual as I thought. I might develop it more later, Andreas continues. (Actually, I didn't say that. The reason I didn't have it on display was that it didn't became very visual, but it worked like a charm and I got A+ for it.)
The possibility exists. Straight after high school Andreas continued his studies at Chalmers in Gothenburg within electronic engineering.
He has managed three and a half years of his studies and will get his degree in engineering in a year. (Actually, there is no way I will make it on time, but please, it sounds really good :) )
During his studies he and a friend have among other things developed a voltage regulator for flashlights. A small circuit board which can give flashlights the same strong illumination as a spotlight. (Yes, whatever...)
- We have sold 68 world wide.

Two years ago
, Andreas built an 60 centimeter wide and 40 centimeter high Advent candlestick and provided it with 60 watt incandescent bulbs instead of 3 watt.
He put it in the window if his student apartment in Gothenburg. Rumors about the bright candlestick spread and a friend of his had heard that people spoke about it all the way in Borås.
- Then I got the idea. Why not build the worlds brightest candlestick. I contacted Guinness, which registers all kinds of world records. They didn't have any notation of anyone applying for that type of record and that I could create a new branch/sport.

Andreas began planning for a bigger candlestick. He aimed to provide it with gas discharge lamps, normally a type of lamps used for street and industrial illumination. The problem was that it would cost about 25 000 SEK (3600 USD, a bit exaggerated when I come to think of it, but with a rough estimate in my head in the middle of an interview, it's close enough). Andreas managed to get sponsorship from two companies in the light industry. It was actually intended to be ready by Christmas 2005.
- I didn't get all the right parts in time for thie build. Now it got ready for this Christmas.
Andreas placed/mounted his work in his living room window in his student apartment in Gotheburg. He uses the electrical outlet used for his stove. (Actually I don't, but to explain that I hijacked the fuses for the stove and routed a cable directly from my fuse cental (what do you guys call it???) was just too long.)
When Andreas turn on his candlestick the results are extreme. The entire street outside the window becomes illuminated and inside it feels like high beam. (Strange analogy but sure...) Besides that, the heat is massive.
- It can only be lit for short periods due to the heat and anxious and blinded neighbors.
Now the Advent candlestick gets to stand there until further notice. Andreas will apply to get the Advent candlesticks shine of light noted as a world record. For a record to be noted there have to be among other things a registered notarius publicus to come there and verify the candlesticks capacity.

Last edited:

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
Updated my post with a translation. You have to pardon my English. I'll happily accept any suggestions for improval (that's a word, right?) or changes.

They did spell my surname with W. My family have always spelled with W, although all government papers and such spells with V since forever. When I started at Chalmers, I have to log in with "vinnberg" so after typing it 500+ times, I dropped the W in normal writing. Here, where I grew up, people recognize me as Winnberg so that's what he wrote in the newspaper.

Qben

Newly Enlightened
I think the word you are looking for is "improvment." I would not have mentioned it except that you asked. Having studied a couple of other languages, I can appreciate the amount of time and dedication it must have taken to learn English as well as you have.

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nereus,

Well, I'll think of some way making it more EDCable. :)

Qben,

Huh? Sorry, where should "improvement" go?
Thanks! Before I joined CPF, I was terrible at English. After 1000+ post and some of them rather long stories, it's much better, but I wouldn't call it good.
Also, we have mandatory English from forth grade and up to third grade in high school, with as much English as Swedish and math during elementary school. Therefor, I'm just an average Swede when it comes to English.