Found an old friend - SureFire C2-HA ....

kamagong

Newly Enlightened
Got a new friend myself recently.

41211480572_7a820804f5_c.jpg

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 6P and C2 form factor is still one of my favorite. Adding the Malkoff M61W to the host and you'll have a virtually bombproof flashlight.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice example. My favorite of the P60 platform incan Surefires...

I prefer the C3, but in the two battery size, the C2 is my favorite as well. I always wished they had made a Z2-HA in the type III natural finish.

And the E3e!!!

Last edited:

dimly lit

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all the info, you've got me thinking and searching more on CRI and Kelvin ranges. Just when I thought I had made up my mind. So if I understand, the M61N has a little less lumens but the 4000K and 80CRI make colors more true?

My needs for this light are pretty general. I'll probably use it most in the woods and around the house. However I will also carry it from time to time around town. I've got a TRL-1s for HD use. The extended run time is tempting but I think I like the wow factor of extra Lumins. However the run time on the M61L has me rethinking my needs.

I recently received my first Solarforce L2T. I got it with a LC-XPL 3 mode. Not sure how many lumens it is putting out with two CR123 batts but it is definitely brighter than my C2 with the P61 drop in. For what the L2T is, I'm impressed. Then again, with my limited experience I'm pretty easily impressed at this point.

Last edited:

mamelo

Newly Enlightened
My needs for this light are pretty general. I'll probably use it most in the woods and around the house. However I will also carry it from time to time around town.

For general usage, woods and in and around the house I really recommend the M61N, and yes, color rendering is quite good.

To give you some hint about lumens output: Actually, most of the time in and around the house, I use the M61N on low mode (only available in Malkoff MD2 with hi-lo ring) for close ranges e.g. walking, and on high for medium ranges. But for medium ranges, my M61WL on high is almost equally good. What I want to say is that you might be happy for general purpose in the C2, as it is single mode, with the M61NL as well, as the run-time is longer.

I really like the long taper of output of M61xxx dropins once the battery is under 3.4V. They don't leave you in the dark.

At some point in time it is on you to make a decision (and what fits for me does not necessarily fit for you). If you take the M61N you can later buy a MD2 host with hi-lo ring or use your Solarforce host for 18650 support and thus longer run-times. Therefore, if you'd ask me now for just ONE recommendation for you, from what I read from you, it would be the M61N.

Cheers,
mamelo

EDIT: Of course you can put a M61NL also in another host, what I mean is: should you want more run-time for a M61N then you have this option, should you want more lumens for M61NL then you don't.

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
2x18500 E bodies will take 3x18350 batteries.

Well, what I'm most interested in is a Surefire 9 volt E-series lamp assembly. Those would have been really nice to have. The Lumens Factory version darkens with use, I really wish there was one out there that uses the xenon-halogen cycle like the OEM E-series Surefire lamp assemblies. Good to see you are still making the custom bodies.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, what I'm most interested in is a Surefire 9 volt E-series lamp assembly. Those would have been really nice to have. The Lumens Factory version darkens with use, I really wish there was one out there that uses the xenon-halogen cycle like the OEM E-series Surefire lamp assemblies. Good to see you are still making the custom bodies.
Halogen bulbs are taller than Xenon bulbs so won't focus well in small E heads. Some custom 1000L E system was offered here with built in recessed bi-pin system.
Now similar bodies are available with Halogen FM1794 (2 IMR18350 or 2 protected 18500) and 32mm head
here.
Same Halogen FM1794 bulb also can be used in C2 or C3 with D26 socket/reflector system.

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
But I wasn't referring to the difference between xenon or halogen bulbs. I was referring to the difference of SF xenon-halogen bulbs that don't darken, vs. current gen bulbs by lumens factory that are only filled with xenon that seem to have a shorter life and darken noticeably after a few uses. The only justification I've received over the years from Mark at lumens factory is that xenon is more expensive, so I should buy lumens factory bulbs, just because xenon is more expensive than halogen. This doesn't make any logical sense.

Last edited:

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was referring to the difference of SF xenon-halogen bulbs that don't darken, vs. current gen bulbs by lumens factory that are only filled with xenon that seem to have a shorter life and darken noticeably after a few uses.
Short answer is that Halogen prevents tungsten deposit and darkening glass.
Making halogen bulb needs different process and tooling than Xenon. Some companies just don't do halogen.
Another factor is designed voltage and forwarded voltage of bulb. The harder you drive the bulb, shorter will be bulb life and quicker darkening for Xenon bulbs.
Many CPF folks use rechargeable batteries which may underdrive the SF Xenon-Halogen bulb or just drive it with little overdrive while Lumens factory bulbs are designed for rechargeable batteries with more overdrive for whiter and brighter output.
Some LF bulbs are designed for 15 or 20 hours life and some SF bulbs are designed for military use and 40 hours life.