• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Fraz Labs Mechanical Flashlights (formerly QTC Non-Battery Crush)

speckacuda

Newly Enlightened
Quick update for y'all -- we've got mod kits (both minimal and maximal, I hate to waste anybody's resources) with hex keys (7/64"), Lumenite II will be in the next drop (utilizing either a 21700 or 26650 battery, as well as my favorite version that uses 26350 batteries), and QT 18350's with stainless steel tailcaps (at this time, these tailcaps will only fit this exact run of lights, and will only use batteries that are 35mm, not longer). More details soon, but here's some teaser pics!!

PXL_20240224_222139839.PORTRAIT.jpg

The QT 18350 with a stainless tailcap!!

PXL_20240221_002538979.PORTRAIT.jpg

The Lumenite II with a 21700 battery!!

Ocelot808

Enlightened
Thanks for the update!

I'm really excited for the Lumenite drop. I can't wait! Those SS tailcaps are gorgeous. Great things coming down the pike. Thanks for your hard work!

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
speckacuda tells us that Fraz Labs has an ample supply of QTC. Note that they continue their search for anything out there that might outperform what they already have.

She sent me some QTC and they certainly function well. Time will tell how durable they are. If you are torquing the head down hard, they likely will not perform optimally after some time. I am not going to be experimenting with that.

Any of the stalwart readers of this thread know that each release from Fraz Labs incorporates incremental improvements. Typically they are too busy to promote these improvements, but the latest piston design shows promise from initial experience, and deserves mention.

The piston head design has been changed. Two nights so far, I have been able to use it. While maintaining those wonderful low outputs, the maximum is substantially brighter (without over tightening). It has more output than a well used QTC that is cranked tight!

This latest piston is said to not be compatible with older flashlights, but it works really well with the unit I bought from CPF member kerneldrop a couple years ago.

The new Lumenite II will have this refinement as well as the newest QT-L.

When speckacuda gets the time to respond here on candlepowerforums, she can adjust anything I have reported.

daffy

Enlightened
If I had $1 for every time that's happened to me, I wouldn't have so much broken stuff!! There's a great song by Corb Lund called Hard On Equipment, fairly certain it's my theme song.

Bringing back the Lumenite II, an older design that was shelved in order to ramp up QT production. The Lumenite II is one beefy chunk of flashlight, capable of taking 21700 OR 26650 batteries and a 20mm MCPCB. Finishing up testing this weekend and early week, but here's a beamshot (21700 battery, SST40 emitter, around 100ft to the fence from here).

View attachment 57224

Edit to ask - does anyone know what the requirements are to post a new thread in this section?
Now if i can only snag one when released.

speckacuda

Newly Enlightened
Well, this has what my Great Grandmother would call a "season of maintenance", and I would call a "series of unfortunately timed repairs". The largest, and most time consuming yet, is my beautiful mill is down. Now, y'all will love this - I chased the wrong problem four days, and didn't figure it out until the compression washer completely snapped. New washers will be here by Thursday (please UPS, come through for me!!), then please allow another few days for me to figure out how to repair this beauty. After that, we *should* have a batch of Lumenite II's. What a long, strange trip this release has been!!

compressionwasherfail.jpg

About QTC - there's several different types that are easy to find everywhere. Adafruit makes one called Pressure Sensitive Conductive Sheet. It's way too thin to use as a flat piece, but a chunk of it wadded up will work in a pinch. I don't think it was magnetic, so it will fall out if the piston is removed. It comes in a large sheet, so there's a lot to play with if this interests anyone. Again, it's not ideal (there will be some variation, flickering, yada yada yada) but it works well for those who aren't afraid to experiment a bit. I will do my best to have QTC available on the site on/before the Lumenite II drop, also.

JohnTz

Enlightened
Well, this has what my Great Grandmother would call a "season of maintenance", and I would call a "series of unfortunately timed repairs". The largest, and most time consuming yet, is my beautiful mill is down. Now, y'all will love this - I chased the wrong problem four days, and didn't figure it out until the compression washer completely snapped. New washers will be here by Thursday (please UPS, come through for me!!), then please allow another few days for me to figure out how to repair this beauty. After that, we *should* have a batch of Lumenite II's. What a long, strange trip this release has been!!

View attachment 59963

About QTC - there's several different types that are easy to find everywhere. Adafruit makes one called Pressure Sensitive Conductive Sheet. It's way too thin to use as a flat piece, but a chunk of it wadded up will work in a pinch. I don't think it was magnetic, so it will fall out if the piston is removed. It comes in a large sheet, so there's a lot to play with if this interests anyone. Again, it's not ideal (there will be some variation, flickering, yada yada yada) but it works well for those who aren't afraid to experiment a bit. I will do my best to have QTC available on the site on/before the Lumenite II drop, also.
So sorry to hear about the mill. I'm sure it will be good as new soon. We are all waiting patiently for the release so no worries.

On the QTC you mentioned that there are several easy to find everywhere. I have had zero luck finding it. I go through the stuff quickly. If you can (totally understand if you don't want to) please let us know the other sources as well as the Adafruit one does not sound ideal.

Ocelot808

Enlightened
The picture is worth a few words. From what I can see the big square thingy is compressing the stack of pancakes and causing the syrup to squirt out. Doesn't seem too bad. Even looks fairly edible. Could probably use a bit of cleaning. Best to skip it and find an IHOP.

speckacuda

Newly Enlightened
No reply to my emails about my brass QT nugget issues

I sent it April 4th, around 8:30pm CST, but I'll send it in a message here as well - it's been a weird last few weeks.

We are still behind from everything pooping the proverbial bed. However, we ARE catching up quickly and thank you all for your patience during this wild time.

daffy

Enlightened
I sent it April 4th, around 8:30pm CST, but I'll send it in a message here as well - it's been a weird last few weeks.

We are still behind from everything pooping the proverbial bed. However, we ARE catching up quickly and thank you all for your patience during this wild time.
Not sure what happened maybe it went to the wrong folder.