• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FS: 3rd_shift 3C Magmod (SOLD)

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
First great light at a great deal!! $65.00 What a deal. There are only so many things that can go wrong with a light of this type. The worst case if that the LED has been damaged. This will require a new emitter not a difficult thing to do by a guy like 3rd_shift I have got to say that out of all of the lights I have done myself of this type and of the lights that 3rd_shift has built for me personally not a single one has ever failed. not one. What ever the problem here is it is easily diagnosed and easily fixed. A new emitter shouldn't cost more than $20.00 to $25.00 depending on the bin you want to install should it need a new emitter. I say go for a TW0L I have used many using these as well as TW0K emitters with no problems. The Mag mod is a wonderfully simple and extremely nice tight beam for long range work.

Don't worry you will have a working light again soon. Tell you what just for having such bad luck if the repair requires a new O-sink I will throw one in at no cost. I doubt this will be necessary but if it is, I will provide the O-sink happily.

Don"t worry you will have a great light when it is all over. Too bad it didn't work when you got it. That is life.
Yaesumofo

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks so much to Stephen for his dedication to his lights and his warranty work. Thanks also to yaesumofo for his comments and generous offer of a new O-sink, if needed.

I likewise stand by my earlier offer to do whatever I need to do to make this right for Peter. This deal ain't over till he gets to play with his new 3rd_shift magmod!

Andrew

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: FS: 3rd_shift 3C Magmod (Warranty work)

Got the light apart.
The led is indeed a :dedhorse:
This one's gonna be a little messy to replace as I usually put these together pretty good.

Yaesumofo, I may take you up on your offer for that osink, but let's wait up on that for now.
I think I can clean it up ok for a new emitter at this stage.
I'll get started on that tomorrow morning. ;)

Edit:
Got a better idea.
I'll just put a new one together for XenonM3 since this light wasn't very old to begin with.
I'll then start XenonM3 on a full warranty for this brand spankin' new light. :)
I'll get started on that instead in the morning to get it over to him asap.
Then I'll tackle the :dedhorse:

Last edited:

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me add this ingredient to the emitter mystery. Several weeks before I sold this magmod to Peter (XenonM3), I was playing around with it one day, and loaded it with 2 protected 17670 cells. At first, I thought I had damaged the light, because there was a big dark hole in the beam. A short time later, however, I fiddled with it again and refocused it and it worked fine. I continued to use the light for 5-6 weeks after that (only with NiMh AAs and a PVC tube) with no problems at all. I figured that the only problem had been that the light was out of focus.

So, I don't see how the light could have later developed a problem due to this. But Stephen is the expert, and if he feels this was somehow the cause, I stand ready to back up this transaction. I will reimburse Stephen for whatever his cost is in getting Peter fixed up with a working magmod. This deal is not done till everybody is happy.

Andrew

XenonM3

Enlightened
:awman: guys you don't have to do all this but I really appreciate the gestures. AFAustin if there is any cost in repairing or replacing the light, please let me take care of that, it is my light now and you have done enough as it is! :thumbsup:

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: FS: 3rd_shift 3C Magmod (SOLD and repaired)

Here is what was found.
The led had been overdriven at some point fusing a bond wire open while warm.
Then the bond wire that fused open got cold enough later to come back into contact, but not permanantly.

I ended up using another Osink once I discovered the epoxy on the original was quite tenacious.
The led came off in 3 pieces.
I took off all the epoxy with a dremel and now have a flat top osink fit for a round bottom slug led. ;)

There was a rattle in the switch asembly that was my goof. :oops:
That is now fixed. :eek:
The light did in fact need to come back for that warranty repair.

New Osink and new TWOJ bin led are doing great. :)
I'll take the light with me to work tonight and play with it there.

XenonM3, Shipping back to Canada is on me since the light did in fact need to come back for warranty service.
The rattle was caused by a small loose blob of solder in the switch assembly that I was able to get to fall out. :crazy:
It's shipping back to you this Monday. :party: :rock:

AFAustin, the TWOJ led is all that I need you to cover. $15 :broke:
You may use that toward the purchase of any other lights over $50 you buy from me in the future. :)

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stephen,

$15 PP sent. Thank you for your excellent diagnostic work and for all your expertise and effort in getting this sorted out and Peter taken care of. I admire very much the way you stand behind your products. You are a prime example of everything good about this community.

Peter,

I am sorry that it looks like some negligence on my part was the origin of all these problems. I promise this light was working beautifully for several weeks before I ever put it up for sale, or I never would have offered it. I'm glad that things are now being resolved and your magmod is shipping Monday. I hope you'll post when you receive it and finally get a chance to enjoy it!

Andrew

XenonM3

Enlightened
Got the light this morning! Thank you Stephen for packing it very well.

It works perfect now and 3rdshift/Stephen did an awesome job on it, I was just outside testing it, the tint is very white and the throw on this thing puts my KL3 to shame, it could be very well one of my favorite LED lights.

:thanks: and :goodjob: to AFAustin and everyone else for their support.