• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FS: Cree MC-E LEDs

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
AlexGT: That is not my picture and I didn't post it. These LEDs are unmounted like everything else I've offered, which allows you flexibility in how best to mount them. The positive and negative terminals are differentiated by a notch in the packaging, please review the datasheet for technical specifications: http://www.cree.com/products/pdf/XLampMC-E.pdf

As for how it compares to a P7, Seoul Semiconductor uses the EZ1000 die made by Cree and they put their own phosphor and packaging on it. It can only be run in a parallel configuration, whereas the MC-E can be run in whatever configuration you'd like. The package size of the MC-E is much smaller than the P7.

-Enrique

killforfood

Newly Enlightened
I planned on making a direct drive P7 3-D m@glight for my bike but this emitter has me thinking of a better idea. Could I DD this emitter with 3 D Ni-Mh batteries through a 4 position rotary switch?
Position 1 would be OFF.
Position 2, illuminate 1 die.
Position 3, illuminate 2 die.
Position 4, illuminate 4 die.
This in effect would give me Low, Med, High settings.
My question since I'm not the electronics wizard as some of you are, would this light function properly as described?
I can sort out what switch and heat sink to use later. I just need to know if this simple idea is feasible without need of drivers or complicated circuitry?

Thanks, Joel.

X_Marine

Enlightened
I don't have time at the moment to draw this up but,
I think you will need a 3pole 3posision sw and a separate on off or built in off.

With a single pole 3posision you would need diodes to prevent the feedback. If pos1 went to L1 then pos2 went to L1 & L2 then when you set to pos1 it would also connect to L2 if you get what I mean. A 3 or 4 pole would isolate each pos from the next.

Let me know if you don't have surplus dealers in the area cause I may have an extra 3 or 4 pole 3 or 4 pos switch. Just have to dig arond my junk. But you can prolly find one online @ http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2008102102320341&item=11-1622&catname=electric
lol, this might work. Heck I think I might grab a cpl. ')
Their diag might help.. http://www.surpluscenter.com/Wire/W11-1622.jpg

Hope this helps.
X/BillyD..
icon14.gif

Hope -Enrique doesn't mind. let me know if I need to edit.
Oh, btw :paypal:for 4 MC-E's.

cytoe

Newly Enlightened
Here's where the MC-E went :)

Just finished my 1st MC-E light! Looks like its ready to take off

IMG_0471.JPG

IMG_0469.JPG

IMG_0473.JPG

I'll take some beam shots when it gets dark and stops raining. Unfortunately, it produces the infamous Cree donut hole. Maybe I can mess w/ the reflector to fix it.

cytoe

Newly Enlightened
lol. could be used for one of those shoot around the wall guns :)

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
cytoe: Very nice work! :thumbsup: How will you be powering that setup?

I've not once heard of this "infamous Cree doughnut hole" you speak of, though; every LED from Cree sans the MC-E isn't terribly difficult to manage the output from, and the doughnut hole resulting in using the MC-E is just from choosing a reflector than isn't properly made to handle the LED.

When you have four dice you end up with a space in the juncture of them where no light is being produced, and a parabolic reflector is focusing precisely on that point, hence a "doughnut hole". If you have a large enough reflector, however, this doesn't have nearly as much of an effect because the size of the die array is still very small compared to the rest of the reflector, and approximates a point light source well enough to produce a nice beam. With a small reflector, though, the size of the dice is fairly large with comparison to the reflector, so imperfections are more prevalent. Just the nature of playing with multi-die parts.

-Enrique

cheetokhan

Enlightened
Got my MCE in the mail today. Dang these little conductors are tiny! This is gonna be a bugger to solder. I used to have a really fine tip, low power soldering iron that would have been perfect. Gonna have to buy a new soldering iron. And a big magnifying glass.

cytoe

Newly Enlightened
mmm. donuts. The reflector I used was not made for the MC-E...but that's all I had :( I fixed the donut hole issue by using a plastic disc (dx sells them) between the led and the reflector...which raised it up a little....hole gone:)
I had to use a ribbon cable so it would not interfere w/ the disc or reflector. Luckily I had a fine tip for my soldering iron.
Enrique, can you get boards and optics for the MC-E? Any plans on getting the M bin? Thanks!

X_Marine

Enlightened
I think I ask before but maybe not.
If your in or close to the houston area I'll pick mine up if you like. Hey meet at a corner store would be fine. ')

Just a thought, thanks. :twothumbs
X/BillyD..