Geek Girl at gunpoint at logan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

orionlion82

Enlightened
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Student_arrested_over_"art"_shirt_with_exposed_wiring_at_Boston_Airport

hang on, it wasnt exactly a nametag.

it was a breadboard, some LED's IN A STAR SHAPE.

(none of us at CPF have ever made one of those, right?)

This Woman's name is Star
yall, how hard is that?
i think thats pretty cool actually, international law enforcement incedent aside. i went to art school. i know what artsy girls are like. she must have thought it was the most awesome thing ever. she would have been proud!!!

I have a breadboard right here. i have a box with LED's in it.
OHHHH time for me to voulinteer myself to see cuba from the wrong side of a chainlink fence?

(and im an ugly dude too, im not a cute brainy college girl hawiaaee- what if it was ME???!!!!!!!!!)

there is no line and no sign at the door that says:

"If you cross this line you are no longer an american, no longer in america and have no rights, ESPECIALLY if you are in boston and have ever touched LED's. we do this for your saftey or otherwise so we can shoot you with a machine gun and have our @$$es covered.forever. amen. "

when do we start seeing those when we want to get on a plane?

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think that anything "escalated out of control." In fact, the situation, unlike others mentioned above, stayed in control. The airport personnel reported an unusual incident to police. The cops presented a forceful front, given the potential risk of a suicide bomber (until they got more information). They used no force. The girl, Star, did what she was told and the arrest went smoothly.

I've been in the same situation myself a few times--M16's or handguns aimed at me, ordered not to move. Questioned as to my reason for having a visible gun near an elementary school, near a radar installation on an Air Force base, or near a Coast Guard cutter at a port.

My dad had a gun pointed at his head when he was pulled over for speeding because he reached a little too quickly into his jacket for his license.

These things happen and well trained LEOs will not drop their guard--too many have been killed this way--but they won't open fire either.

I would argue that in the airport incident everything worked the way it is supposed to. It's not pretty, but neither was 9/11/2001 when nothing worked the way it is supposed to. False positives are a price we pay for better security.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
It's a shame that someone so talented knows so little about the real world. This is an airport post 9/11. The same airport where the 9/11 attacks were launched. As I said before, I'm glad she was uninjured. She needs to realize that people who bring objects into an airport that look like bombs can potentially end up dead. Dead people don't have careers.
How can she know anything about the real world when she's only 19? I'm willing to bet she's lived a sheltered life up to this point. One of my pet peeves is the huge amount of overprotective parenting I'm seeing these days. Parents go to all measures to basically insulate their progeny from both the real world, and from any consequences of their actions. Many children these days grow up in isolated suburbia where nothing bad ever happens. And then you have feel-good politicians passing all sorts of inane laws like requiring helmets for kids cycling/scootering, bans on fireworks, even relatively harmless ones like sparklers, padding on playgrounds, etc. The kids are thrown onto buses instead of walking or biking to school like they did one or two generations ago. In short, we're so afraid our kids may get hurt that we don't allow them the luxury of experiencing the rough parts of life so they can learn. Sure, they may get hurt, in very rare cases even die, but the life experience gained is worthwhile. I remember taking the subway to high school 75 minutes each way at age 13. This was at a time when crime was much higher than now, and some of the lines ran through some of the roughest parts of the city (i.e. the south Bronx). Well, I survived it. I'm glad I didn't have overprotective parents who sheltered me, or moved away to some sterile suburb. I'm just tired of hearing adults complaining about college students "not knowing about the real world". Do we actually expect any different given the way we're bringing up kids nowadays? The problem is that due to the increasingly unforgiving nature of our society, all these kids need to do is innocently screw up once, like this girl did, and it could well be their last time. Note to all the parents here-get your children into the real world more so becoming an adult doesn't come as a complete shock to them. Don't be afraid if they get skinned knees, or even need stitches. In the end they'll be better for it.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tend to agree with the common sense posts in this thread. One can perhaps argue that airport security is overzealous these days but it's a fact of life and whether it would have been right or wrong, the girl is lucky she did not get shot. This story got quite a bit of press so perhaps it will be a learning experience for other's on what not to do.

Tubor

Enlightened
LuxLuthor, put a head scarf (one of these: http://www.hilalplaza.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=307) on your head, look into the mirror and tell me what you see. It's hatred that causes terrorism - at least recruits for it. If the human race has any chance in the future where bombs could be hidden under a fingernail (see this TNG episode: http://stng.36el.com/st-tng/episodes/181.html), people have got to stop hating. Remember, love is stronger that hate.

Two scenarios:

1.) A giant volcano erupts in the US killing 100's of thousands - what happens?

2.) A nuclear terrorist attack in a city (God forbid, etc). What happens?

It's my guess that the world would rush to help in the first instance, and rush to destroy itself in the second. Why?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
LuxLuthor, put a head scarf (one of these: http://www.hilalplaza.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=307) on your head, look into the mirror and tell me what you see. It's hatred that causes terrorism - at least recruits for it. If the human race has any chance in the future where bombs could be hidden under a fingernail (see this TNG episode: http://stng.36el.com/st-tng/episodes/181.html), people have got to stop hating. Remember, love is stronger that hate.

Two scenarios:

1.) A giant volcano erupts in the US killing 100's of thousands - what happens?

2.) A nuclear terrorist attack in a city (God forbid, etc). What happens?

It's my guess that the world would rush to help in the first instance, and rush to destroy itself in the second. Why?

I guess Empath's warning not to attack members of CPF has eluded you.

Sorry, I'm not into head scarfs. I don't disagree with your logic or ideals which your two scenarios underscore quite well.

To digress beyond the twit who almost got herself killed by expressing her folksy artistic side....

It is my opinion that there have always been fanatical groups who use force and intimidation to dominate, and do not respond to civil negotiation or pacifistic responses. While the reality of that is unfortunate from a humanitarian perspective, there are examples of unjustified brutality throughout history.

When faced with such threats as Nazi Germany, Imperial Japan, Christian Papal Crusades, Pol Pot, Idi Amin, Turkey's Armenian genocide, or fundamental Islamic terrorists...you can either surrender (as France did in WW-II) or use force against their threat.

The Soviet threat was neutralized by the perverted "tit for tat" strategy of mutual assured destruction. Unfortunately, the current Islamic Terrorist cells are spread throughout a huge number of countries, so the same strategy that works against a fixed geographical threat does not work. I don't see any really great viable solutions to an ongoing threat such as Al Quaeda, because they pop up all over in a never ending game of whack-a-mole.

It is naive to assume that a pacifistic approach such as that used by three of my personal heroes, namely Ghandi, Mandela, and Martin Luther King would work in this circumstance. Their approach only worked because they were going up against reasonable, civilized governments. They would have been slaughtered immediately if they were in the violent despotic regimes I mentioned earlier.

OK, now back to the ignorant Hawaiian girl...

acourvil

Enlightened
Giving you the benefit of the doubt, I'm going to conclude that the references to Hitler and Nazi Germany in your last 2 messages were really a way of asking for this thread to end, a la Godwin's Law. Bye.

Empath

Flashaholic
Yes, Godwin's Law has been evoked. With that, the thread is concluded. Well close this here, and any further discussion of Star Simpson will need to be downstairs in our Wine Cellar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts