Ghosthunting

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i dont really plan to go ghost hunting myself...i freak out to easy...
but seriously, what of that whole ghosts drain batteries thing, no torch, no matter how reliable, can work without batteries, except eternalights and such, but those arent exactly bright...

Crenshaw

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
it would be more scary to bring a candle instead of a flashlight! :crazy:

Or an old oil lantern, if the flame went out you have to fumble with matches to light it again! (you cant use a lighter).

Ghost hunting old style! :)

Illum

Flashaholic
just the beam artifacts would freak me out....not to mention the fire/hot flying glass/mess a oil lantern would cause if you drop it

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got kind of a different ghost story...

Years ago, I had this huge cat, he was about 18 yrs old and weighed around 20 pounds. It wasn't that unusual for him to jump up on my bed in the middle of the night. Due to his weight "problem," you definitely felt him land on the bed and could easily feel each step as he walked across the bed to lay down against my legs, my side, or even my head, depending on his preference each night.

Well one night shortly after I went to bed, I felt him jump up and walk over and lay down next to my legs. I reached down to pet him and there was nothing there! I was pretty freaked out to say the least! I reached down next to my bed and grabbed my flashlight (cheapie 2D), turned it on to find him laying on the floor on the other side of the room.

I finally calmed down, chaulked it up to being halfway to snoozeville and went to sleep. In the morning, I got up and got dressed And just as I was about to leave the room, I reached down to pet him and he was cold as ice...he had died at some point during the night! Now, THAT freaked me OUT!!!

It actually happened again a couple of days later...I swear to God, I felt him jump up on the bed and walk over and lay down next to my legs. I didn't reach down to see if anything was there that time...I just laid there petrified for most of the night before I finally fell asleep.

I've told this story to several people and a few don't buy it...and I probably wouldn't either, if it hadn't happened to me.

I've seen a few weird things in my life, but I still lean toward the
skeptical side with most "sightings" but due to the experience with my cat, and a couple of others, I keep an open mind.

Illum

Flashaholic
you have a very devoted cat there, you should feel happy your companions with you despite the fact its in another dimension:candle:

Burgess

Flashaholic
to Toohotruk --

Quite a creepy tale there. :candle:

Thank you for sharing it with us. :thumbsup:

Anybody else ? ? ?

:whistle:
_

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a decent one. My brother and I were staying at my grandmother's victorian home in St. Paul, MN back in the eighties. We curious about the attic, so we borrowed the attic door key and spent an afternoon digging through old trunks and boxes. My grandmother thought we were nuts- she couldn't walk up the tight staircase any more, and warned us it was full of "junk." We found items from a trooper's WWII trunk (he rented a room in the late '40s), 1920s era dresses and hats, old newspapers, and a finished bedroom with a small closet. The bedroom had a dresser, a bed with no mattress, and a few old toys and boxes in it. The rest of the attic was unfinished. When we were finished we locked the attic door (old skeleton key) and put the key in the dresser in the bedroom that I was using.

That night my brother and I stayed up late downstairs in the living room. We finally migrated back upstairs and he went to his room and I to mine (I had my mom's old bedroom). Our rooms were adjacent to one-another, at the front of the house.

At around 1 or 2 am I awoke to weird noises. Something was moving around up in the attic. I immediately opened the drawer to see if my brother grabbed the attic door key and was exploring- the key was in the drawer! A few moments later my brother came running into my bedroom. He was freaked! The noises in the attic woke him too. We walked together past the attic door and peeked in my grandmother's room- she was sound asleep. We tiptoed back to my room and listened to the noises- it sounded like furniture moving. We wondered if we'd opened a window and let a raccoon in. After an hour or so the noises stopped, but we slept together that night as we were so freaked.

In the morning we decided to find out what had happened. We took the key, unlocked the door, and cautiously walked back up into the attic. Everything looked the same. All the windows were closed. We walked across the attic to the bedroom and opened the door...

All the furniture had moved! Plus all the dresser drawers were fully opened. I still feel a chill when I think about it. It was a small room, so moving the furniture was no small feat. We ran back down the stairs and told my grandmother everything. She smiled and laughed, and told us it was all a bad dream. When my parents returned later that night we told my mom about the noises and the furniture. She turned pale, and then told us how weird it was sleeping in her room when she was a kid. Every now and then she'd be awakened by weird noises in the attic. She was never allowed to go up there as her mom said it was dangerous and full of junk. She told us of how it sounded like furniture moving... details we experienced, as well.

It is all true. It is so funny to ask my brother about that night. His eyes open wide and he shakes his head, and admits he's still freaked by it all.:popcorn:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I occasionally feel that 'thump' on the bed when I'm falling asleep. It feels quite distinctive and tactile, as I can feel the bed reverberating a little bit from the thump. So far I've been writing it off as one of those neural anomalies that results from different parts of my body/brain drifting off at different times, causing some sort of imbalance between what's real and what's happening in a dream.

But I used to have cats... :thinking:

Burgess

Flashaholic
to Chronos --

That was very interesting. :thumbsup:

May i ask:

About how old were you at the time ?

Is your brother younger or older ?

Does your Grandmother still live there ?

Has she ever heard anything ?

and , most important . . . .

Would she mind if a dozen or so CPF'ers spent the night there ?

We want to learn more about that attic !

:candle:
_

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
you have a very devoted cat there, you should feel happy your companions with you despite the fact its in another dimension:candle:

You know, I was about 22 years old (I think) when it happened and it really did scare the hell out of me at the time, but years later, I thought about it and I don't know why it frightened me so much...after all, it was just my cat laying down next to me like he had thousands of times when he was alive, I should have been comforted. Still breaks my heart after all these years...I really loved that cat.

Great story Chronos! I love stories like that! Bet that freaked you out at the time! I kind of wish I could experience something like that now.

Valolammas

Enlightened
Not really a ghost story, but I got spooked good a couple of nights ago.

I was out taking our dog for a late night walk, all peace and quiet with nobody in sight. All of the sudden the dog gets all bristled and starts barking. I look where her nose is pointing (while digging my light out of my pocket) and notice a grayish-brown lump on the side of the road, maybe 4-5 meters away. Oh, it's just a rabbit, I think, when suddenly, the lump gets up and turns out to be way bigger than I thought. Turned out to be an eagle owl (Bubo bubo), which spread its wings and took off right towards us! Luckily, it decided to do just a fly-by and went up into a tree to glare at us. But it really scared me for a moment.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Come to think of it, an attic versus a whole bunch of cpfers..sounds abit imbalanced in favour of the cpfers..LOL :crackup:

Crenshaw

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow guys this is a great thread! Very fascinating to read about CPFers' experiences with ghosts! I personally have never experienced a "ghost" per se, but I admit I'm constantly spooked by stories and the eerie feeling whenever I'm up alone at night (like right now!)

Seriously though, I just heard a strange voice outside, and some rustling. I just checked outside with my Xenide, but nothing in sight. Bizarre to say the least.

but seriously, what of that whole ghosts drain batteries thing, no torch, no matter how reliable, can work without batteries...

Does anybody have any input on this? It would be interesting to see if there's any truth to this... another CPF experiment?

Dudemar

Last edited:

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
to Chronos --

That was very interesting. :thumbsup:

May i ask:

About how old were you at the time ?

Is your brother younger or older ?

Does your Grandmother still live there ?

Has she ever heard anything ?

and , most important . . . .

_

LOL. :)

I was about 20 at the time. Full of testosterone, so not much ever scared (or scares) me. My brother is a couple of years younger than me. My grandmother passed away about ten years ago.

Several years after this took place she sold the house to a cousin. My cousin has never reported any weird noises.

The home was a Victorian built at the end of the 1800s. My great-grandmother bought the home in the 1920s and rented out a few of the bedrooms to help bring in more income. This continued through the 1950s.

Over the years I've spoken to several family friends who stayed there and just mentioned the upstairs bedroom. They all got strange looks on their faces and mentioned weird noises and sightings. One family friend, Zelda, stayed there in the same room as below for over ten years and told me the house was haunted. She wouldn't give me details, but just smiled.

About six months later I was sleeping in the other bedroom - the one my brother stayed in that strange night- with my dog sleeping on the floor next to my bed. My dog awoke me- she jumped into my bed and was growling. She was looking at the walk-in closet door in the front corner of the room. A few moments later the door opened... I thought "what is this?" Then a person walked out of the closet. He was wearing dark clothes and a dark hat, and was looking towards the ground, his hands folded in front of him. He took two steps, stopped, and started to look up. Then he vanished.

The whole time my dog was growling, but had backed up against me. When the apparition vanished, she calmed down but wouldn't get back onto the floor. When the shock of it wore off I ran downstairs and stayed up the rest of the morning watching TV. I never slept in that room again without a light on.

Those are the only two "incidents" that I've experienced. The first one I cannot explain, as my brother experienced it with me, and no one else had the attic key. The second I'd say was a dream, but my dog was with me the whole time. She actually woke me, and I never went back to sleep after the event.

nobody

Newly Enlightened
it was commonly believed that ghosts or spirits will occupy an unoccupied/abandoned home for reasons of sorts...
20 years ago I lived in an abandoned (1849) house that was bought by some friends and was just starting to undergo renovations, no heat, no plumbing, no plaster walls or ceilings anymore, just electric. A buddy and I had an "industrial band" and a couple of nights a week we would lay down tracks on a 4 track tape upstairs in the attic. Awful sounding crap. One particular night we just finished a track and sat back to listen to our latest batch of crap. A few minutes into the track and out of nowhere the "music" began cracking and fading out to nothing but silence. Then a gravelly voice comes on the tape saying "GET OUT. WE DON'T WANT ANY..." Then the "music" started fading/crackling back in just like we recorded it. None of that gravelly voice stuff was audible while we were recording. We played it back over and over...Sort of weirded us out to say the least. We guessed that it may have been a truck's cb radio interfering with the recording. But it sure sounded like it was directed to us!

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
to Chronos --

_

Now that would be one helluva bright attic! :candle::candle::candle::candle::candle: :candle::candle::candle::candle::candle::candle: :candle:

Chronos...the second part of your story is even creepier than the first!!! :eek:

And to Nobody...your story kind of reminds me of how Trent Reznor of "Nine Inch Nails" bought or rented one of the houses where the Manson murders took place to record an album...weird!

Last edited: