Gladius

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Interestingly this whole can 'o' worms about seizures was brought up on Britih Blades (primarily due to our restrictive laws) and the consensus was it was (a) unlikely to happen (b) would be no different to shining a very powerful light into someones eyes and they claimed it caused migraine etc.

In all these cases the user and the BG's will have to suck it and see what happens next.

For those of you who have not got the Gladius yet (I do) it does come with a warning and what to do if a seizure should happen as a result of the strobe causing one.

This demonstrates that BHI has thought through these issues carefully (and no doubt with appropriate legal advice) before the product was launched.

IMHO if citizens use a strobe on another person without their consent and that person does fit then they are in a whole world of s**t legally! (And quite rightly so!) However, if the Gladius is used in a last ditch defensive technique by a citizen and the worst happens then I'll take my day in court galdly!

Doug

greenLED

Flashaholic
Isn't a particular frequency what triggers seizures? I'm sure the designers have taken this into consideration and made necessary adjustments.

I don't know about strobe frequency and migraines, though. My last migraine jumped on me as I was looking at my computer screen...

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
With all due respect to those who disagree, I think the chances of a mugger, etc. using a strobing flashlight are slim to none. They will instead use pepper spray, guns, and knives.

The strobing flashlight in the hands of "John Q" will have the net effect of better enabling JQ's escape from said mugger, etc., IMO.

What do you do when some creepy person starts approaching you agressively? You whip out your. . . Oh, wait. You have been legally prevented from carrying anything at all that might help protect you. So you whip out your wallet on demand, then get assaulted with who-knows-what.

Think about how wild creatures protect themselves. They refuse to act like prey. Dolphins will become assertive toward sharks, even "punching" them with their noses. Octopi squirt ink and split. That is basically the power of a Gladius in civilian hands. You do something "non-preylike" and disengage to safety.

I really doubt this light, or any other, would be a good weapon of agression.

Scott

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
McGizmo,

My Elektrolumens Tri-Star Phazer will stop people in their tracks or cars without a strobe and it is not one of the brightest LED's that can currently be purchased. It kept me and my son out of the hospital one dark rainy night as a car was SPEEDING at us.
I like the Gladius and as a flashlight collector would find the strobe necessary, if only to have a fully functioning Gladius in my collection. Without the strobe, it's other features are not something that I am real interested in at it's price point. For that matter I have been waiting for lots of user feedback before even considering this light.
BG's can and will use anything they are able to get their hands on. Making the Gladius strobe only available to LE and military will guarantee they will only be available to LE and military and BG's.
I think the Gladius should stay just the way it is.
I am curious, since you are a manufacturer, are you concerned there could be a public backlash against the Gladius in the hands of BG's that could have a negative ripple effect on your business?
Your post seems to give that indication. I am not asking that question as a personal attack. It is a very interesting possible reality that any high end manufacturer may be concerned about. I am just seeking clarification.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/knight.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/knight.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/aaa.gif

greenLED

Flashaholic
I gotta say it again: more flashlight manufacturers need to incorporate the switch design, whatever the options.

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
One quick thought. lights are not very practical BG weapons because lights attract attention. Strobes really attract attention. Most BG's are trying to avoid excess attention.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ken, let us know if Blackhawk ever goes public. Sounds like a good company to buy stock in... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mark

McGizmo

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Thanks guys for the comments! I suspect you are right and certainly you have made good points! I think I am still a bit concerned about where some of our "protection" is going these days and the legislation to keep us safe. (No lighters on planes........)

IF some BG does use a super bright or strobing light during a crime, just promise me that we won't have some legislator protect us by placing some restrictions on said lights.

I agree that an agressor is likely to use a knife or gun and I certainly will not be in a position to meet such a threat with a weapon of equal lethal potential as it is against the law here to carry such tools. I can currently carry a flashlight........

Well, it looks like I can't get out of this hole; just digging deeper! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Carry on and ignore my stupid comments! I just need some more coffee and I'll be fine. Promise!

For the record, I think the Gladius is a great flashlight and I promise not to abuse it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif

greenLED

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
... I promise not to abuse it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Other things I may ignore, but that is just unacceptable! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Don

Anyone can be wrong but only a wise man recognises he's wrong!

Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

UVvis

Enlightened
Maybe we need to start an organization like the NRA for flashlights? The main purpose would be to prevent anti-light laws.

colterbay2005

Newly Enlightened
This is all just great! I better order another one (or two) before some moviestar decides to take on strobing flashlights as their humanitarian aid service project...and makes them illegal.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don is a stand up guy, and though I do disagree with him on
the gladius' ever becoming a favored BG weapon,(based on a quick internet search of BG's using OC and stungun's in commiting there crimes', it's very rare) I don't think he is thinking about his bottom line. He has such a good product that he can barely make them fast enough. (I know I am saving pennies for a chop mod using giz LE and such, and plan on getting an aleph head in the future)

The gladius sound's great and is probably on my short list
for next two cell light.( i'm sorta into small bright 1x123 lights now, thus the chop exe modded head i mentioned)

I was wondering Mr Good if the light's ceramic coating is
somewhat like some SP OP's knives and tool's that use the a ceramic coating that is similar to the Chobham armour on abrams tanks? VDG

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Thanks Greg,

I admit to knowing next to nothing about either side of the law, or BG's.

Now, I could make a good case for the Gladius being the ideal tool for a B&E person! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Certainly my comments were not motivated by thoughts of personal gain or loss in flashlight related revenue but were motivated by personal choice and the desire to see no restrictions on lights due to any possible misguided knee jerk responses! As mtbkndad commented, if a BG wants a Gladius, they will get one regardless to if there are controls or restrictions in place; either by the manufacturer or the legislature. When I consider the BS around lasers now and the fact that a few idiots can make a mess of things for the rest of us, I suppose I am just over reacting.

I was wrong!
I was wrong!

I disagree with me too!

It's unanimous!

If you need me, I'll be in the corner with the pointed hat on! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Ken,
Consider this a "bump" to keep the Gladius thread up there! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Strobe? What strobe? I don't know what you're talking about! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
Coating:

Knife manufacturers are using it & yes, variations of the coating have been used on the inside of the Abrams tank to seal it from damaging airborne heavy metal particles.

I had a 1 on 1 with our coating crew and found out this coating is exponentially better in terms of salt water immersion and better in terms of U.V. protection.

Clear versions of the coating are used for alloy automobile wheels and it has excellent resistance to brake dust, grease, etc.

I am hoping that it proves out in the long run for our application.

I personally like the look, feel and color flexibility/matching much better than HA.

Should the Gladius be restricted to L.E./Military?
We batted this around for quite some time and not casually.

Bottom line, as already articulated bad guys have access to much greater force tools.

On the other hand...There are guys out there that can kill you with a fork....Maybe we should look at this country's law on basic kitchen utensils...

On a more serious note, we specifically state in our instruction manual that this light is not intended to be used as toy. Like any other option a police officer has, it should be carefully considered before depolying on those members of society that he or she is sworn to protect.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
Thanks Greg,

When I consider the BS around lasers now and the fact that a few idiots can make a mess of things for the rest of us, I suppose I am just over reacting.

[/ QUOTE ]

funy you bring up the laser thing. alst week when i got on a plane in tenn, there as a woman stopped in security that obviously was a carrying stuff for a exibit or training seminar, projector,transparent's, etc. and they had a couple
of those little laser pointer's laying out with a lot of security around listening. I sounded like they wern't gonna even let her put it in checked baggage much less let her fly.

Since I fly a good bit i try to keep up on what not to take on a flight, but i was kinda thinking whats she gonna do with a radio shack pointer? I didn't get a chance to hear the outcome. VDG

Z71K9

Newly Enlightened
Ken,

I got bad news and worst news and then even worst than that news.

First, I dropped my Gladius on concrete. Scratched the outside edge of the bezel but all else is OK. First scratch is always the hardest.

Second, I will probably have to file for bankrupcy. You see, I have this addiction for Gladius. Now I have to feed my addiction and buy more. Many more.

Lastly, my department's SERT team was doing a movement exercise in an empty house. We came to a stairwell and while moving up the darkened stairwell, I whipped out the Gladius. On strobe mode, I lite up the stairwell. The Ohs and Ahs could be heard from the whole team. The entire exercise came to a complete stop. The team leader who was watching and evaluating us, was simply amazed. The comments, "What the F**k is that!" and "Hey were did you get that thing!" "Cool!" and "That would really f**k you up if you tried to look at it!", were some of the comments from my team. So, Ken, you see in a matter of minutes it was decided that Gladius would be the new light attached to our new H&K UMPs.

I know you didnt want to hear any of this. Its absolutely terrible. Im ashamed.

strategos

Newly Enlightened
Off Topic...Z71K9....can you give me a call at your convienence at 888-432-7966 when you get an opportunity. Thanks.

Lance Baker
Strategos

Latest posts