Gladius

McGizmo

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Should the Gladius be restricted to L.E./Military?
We batted this around for quite some time and not casually.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for mentioning this Ken, now I don't feel quite so stupid! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Regarding the ceramic plating, I think it looks and feels great and certainly has cosmetic advantages over the hard anodize. Ultimately, the softer substrate of the Al will yield on impact and I expect the ceramic will chip possibly more readily than the anodize but in either case a character mark is likely. If the alloy used is 6061 or 7000 series, any exposed metal will hold up just fine even if the "M&M" coating is missing in spots!

Congratulations to the guys of Night-Ops with their release of a new and unique flashlight and what appears to be a fantastic reception! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Longbow,
Any reason these problems should be considered as possible or of specific concern here?

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Longbow

Man these appear serious statements! What grounds are you using for them?

Doug

OBTW I put 100% confidence in Ken Goods integrity and I find it hard to believe he'd have anything to do with the problems you've suggested!

Doug

Longbow

Enlightened
Fellas, ever here of Peter Gransee or Arc Flashlight? C'mon. Henry Ford failed twice. Revolutionary concepts frequently display a short half life. Let's hope Ken Good and his revolutionary "lighting instrument" fares well.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's kind of like taking someone to the airport and saying, "I hope you don't crash and die a fiery death." You hope they don't, but it's an awkward thing to say.

Scott

McGizmo

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif seems that the dumb little hole I dug has been replaced by a giant crater! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

FWIW, I do know Peter Gransee and have meet him numerous times as well as had lengthy discussions on the phone with him. I had followed Arc Flashlight for a few years and was reasonably familiar with the lights, themselves. The Arc 4 was certainly beyond my ken! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Beyond flashlight manufacture and design, in the broadest sense, I see no common ground between Arc Flashlight and Night Ops. Just about anything is possible but without cause, it is unlikely there will be any resulting effect. There has been no justification for supporting any possible cause or resultant effect, as implied above, IMHO. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

The Gladius I own as well as a prototype I had use of both are of sound design from what I can tell. As to their ultimate durability, as said, only time will tell; true of any product though so not much meat for speculation. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

bagman

Enlightened
I'm a cop over in the UK and have had my Gladius for about a week now.

Nearly lost it from a maxpedition holster so until the Blackhawk one pitches it is sitting in my gear bag in the car.

Very impressed with it so far, especially as it will run on PILA 168s batteries, although the torch thinks they are flat and gives its double flash low battery warning every 15 seconds or so (for an hour and a half /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

It will probably replace my Tigerlight when I'm on foot patrol at night (my belt gear is heavy enough already) but I'm still going to carry my L4 for flood work.

I will save the strobe until the smelly stuff is hitting the fan as I think I'll be in trouble with our Professional Standards Dept for using it

elewton

Newly Enlightened
How much was the customs on getting it into the UK?

In fact, how much did it cost you to get it into your hand?

bagman

Enlightened
elewton - it was bought direct from the UK distributor who had a special deal for members of www.britishblades.com
the total cost including vat and delivery was a £130ish

Luna

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cslinger said:
Now I would have a fear if I was a LEO and I used the strobe effect and it did cause somebody to go into a seizure.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that is a real worry then the strobes on top of the cars will have to go too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lexus

Enlightened
I just ordered a gladius, all those reviews made me drool , it's all your fault! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm I'm a Surefire nut as well, but this Gladius has got me wanting one. I'm glad to know that its' made in the US (I emailed and asked them). Surefire has GOT to come out with something similar to stay in the game. But $250 bucks is still a good hunk of change to drop on a flashlight.

joshwang

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone else noticed? the manual for the Gladius states that LEDs and batteries are not covered as part of the warranty, but the Night-ops website says that only incad lamps are not covered. Ken?
Another question. I was wondering of the method of sticking a piece of paper in the body of the light would work here(just in case i lose it), say, not start a fire or burn up the light? The electronics are visible, so i was not so sure. Thanks!