Golden Gadgets

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Oh, he "corrected" it alright... by fixing his ebay listings to show that a 9V wall wart is supposed to come with the lamp. So my "0 Stars - **** On It" rating will probably stand permanently now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

And I'll never get to use my lamp until or unless I can get my hands on a 6VAC wall wart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Hemingray

Enlightened
I tried a 6VAC wall wart (it came with an LED "Mood Cube" that I found at a flea this weekend. The "turntable" LEDs lit up in the "full on" mode, the motor turned, but no "effects". Back to the 9 VAC wart, it worked OK, for a few minutes.

the LED "Mood Cube" is a Spencer Gifts product, I snagged it for $12, works great! basically a dumbed-down cousin to the CK light sprite.

In addition to the above rating by CJ, I'll add two urinal cake "peppermints" and a few soggy cigarette butts.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dedhorse.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif is my product rating for the LED burntable.

ed B in NH

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one oh those crystal underlight things. It works great. I have had it for about a year now. I mounted a four inch crystal sphere with lots of air bubbles on it. The colors change at a nice even rate and the air bubbles light up real nice. It's very pretty. I bought it on Ebay and I believe from the golden folks.
I'll try and remember to look at the wall wart tonight and report back what the rating is on it.
BTW, the Watercolor, from Wal-Mart, is cheaper in price and has better effects but does not rotate.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I guess this lamp needs a 7.5VAC wall wart then. If 6VAC isn't enough to trigger the effects, and 9VAC smokes it, it's the only logical conclusion.
Then again, I'm not Tuvok on Voyager, Data on TNG, or Spock on TOS; so I guess logic won't work for me here. :O

My original rating of "O Stars - Whip Out Your P****r and Go Potty On It" is probably not low enough. A couple of those napthelene or paradichlorobenzene "mints" that go in the bottom of the urinator and some wet cigerette stubs ought to do the job here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Dana, I'm glad your lamp works. Ed's and mine do not. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I'm home. Here is what the wall wart says.
input:120V 50HZ 30mA
output:6V AC 500mA 3VA
AC/AC Adaptor.

The table part has no markings on it but it does have a door that can use three AA's to run it.

Craig and Ed. I hope this helps. It's a nice little gadget.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dana-interesting that the input requirement on your wart is stated as: 50 Hz. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
sunspot said:
OK, I'm home. Here is what the wall wart says.
input:120V 50HZ 30mA
output:6V AC 500mA 3VA
AC/AC Adaptor.

[/ QUOTE ]
For the record, my wall wart says:

AC ADAPTOR
MODEL: CX9030A
INPUT: AC120V 60Hz 6W
OUTPUT: AC 9V 300mA

Then there's the usual horse puckey...you know, Class II Transformer, Dry Location Use Only, Risk of Electric Shock, etc. The kind of stuff you might find on any wall wart.

Open-circuit voltage is 8.63VAC. My meter does not have an RMS function though, so this reading could be erroneous.

[ QUOTE ]
sunspot said:Craig and Ed. I hope this helps. It's a nice little gadget.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it's a nice little lite too, but gosh darnet pee pee poo poo broken toliet muscle mine just doesn't work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I just put this on my website's "Toylet Bowl" section, denoting it as a terrible, horrible, awful LED product. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
My recommendation is "do not buy", unless you like magic smoke, everywhere!!!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
vcal said:
Dana-interesting that the input requirement on your wart is stated as: 50 Hz. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah, my eyebrow twitched when I saw that.

Hemingray

Enlightened
Some parts of the world do use 100-120 VAC, 50 Hz, it should work just fine on 60 Hz as well.

I like the newer universal swiching "warts" that are rated 100-120/200-240VAC, 50-60Hz. BTW, FWIW, some, if not most of these universal switchers will also run well on 300VDC.
Disclaimer: Don't try it unless you REALLY know what you're doing.

I found this out several years ago, when I worked at DEC (Digital Equipment Corp), I was in product safety, and we had a particular customer who had a requirement that off the shelf equipment could run on 300-360 VDC, as well as 100-120/200-240 (+/- 10%) VAC 50-60 Hz. Most switcher power supplies (and universal warts) did, but some did not, and they showed their dislike for this in rather spectacular ways.

/
/ed B in NH

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
The LED Museum said:
I guess this lamp needs a 7.5VAC wall wart then. If 6VAC isn't enough to trigger the effects, and 9VAC smokes it, it's the only logical conclusion.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, here's a 7.0VAC -1 amp xformer from www.sciplus.com ($2.75) item #30838

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
The LED Museum said:
I see they require at least $10 in products, not including shipping. I don't need four of these transformers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
How about some 1800mAh AA Nimh batts. or some LED panels to go with that...-or a very sweet Electric Fly Zapper? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

p.s.-I just got their new cat. today, and I'll be happy to look anything up fer 'ya. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hemingray

Enlightened
They have an r/c rat for #12.50 item # 92507 this is lifted from their page.

Better than rubber vomit. More fun than a whoppee cushion. This radio-controlled rat moves forward, turns left, spins around, stares at you with red, glowing eyes. Dark-gray plastic, he's about 13" from his pointed little nose to the point of his tail. Works up to 50 feet from the wireless hand-held controller. Requires (3) "AA" batteries, (1) 9 volt battery and a kid 8 years or older, none of which are included.

92507 REMOTE RAT $12.50 / EACH

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif No, I sad rat, not rant...

/ed B in NH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I just ordered the 7VAC transformer, plus a UV flashlight and a neon household socket flicker bulb to get my total over $10. So we'll see how it goes. Looks like I'll have to cut the plug (or maybe the whole cord) off the 9VAC adapter that came with the Golden Gadgets light originally, and attach it to the 7VAC transformer from American Science and Surplus. But I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Ditto here. I purchased some UV LEDs from
a mailorder place, cheap, and they seem to be
the 395nm units, but the radiation pattern is
really weird. It projects a bright 4-quadrant
square, reminiscent of the radiation pattern
from the alien lightbulb-head creatures from the
War of the Worlds movie. Thought these LEDs would
make a good UV flashlight mod, but not without
some serious corrective optics! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
JJHitt said:
Craig... I'd love to see a review of a "good" affordable multi-LED UV light...

[/ QUOTE ]
"Good" and "affordable" in a UV LED light probably won't be a very easy combination to find. I can think of a couple of "good" ones, but they aren't very "affordable". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Ok, I got that 7VAC transformer today, and a few moments ago, cut the plug off the 9VAC adapter that came with the lamp and cut the spade lugs off the 7VAC transformer, attached the plug to the cord, and tried it out.

It ran fine for 15 or 20 seconds, then the LED display "froze up" as before, and the red button on the side did not work. Crap.
But a few minutes later (while I was typing this), the LEDs started cycling again. So I pushed the button on the side of the lamp to change the LED display, and that worked too.

It's been about 5 minutes now, and so far, so good.

Oh, voltage across the lamp measures 8.45VAC.
With the original transformer, this would probably be around 11 volts, give or take a few tenths.