Good old classic Surefire A2

Ahshan

Newly Enlightened
fivemega said:
Ahshan said:
Dear Fivemega,

I, and several others, are interested in purchasing your strion kit for the A2.

Would you please consider doing another run, or at-least an interest check?

Ahshan

fivemega said:
Unfortunately, minimum quantity requirement is 100 units and my cost is even higher than last run.
I will reconsider about another run if I can negotiate total cost down to same as last run per unit.
Thank you for interest.

Ahshan said:
Awesome.

May I post your reply to a public thread?

Ahshan
Sure,
I would like to know about serious interests.

:whistle:

In case you ain't know...
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...emega-s-Strion-conversion-kit-for-Surefire-A2

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
The A2 Strion bulb conversion kit from Fivemega is a replacement/upgrade for the stock MA02 incan lamp assembly for the Surefire A2.

The socket costs $32, and it takes the tiny Streamlight Strion bi-pin bulb, which costs $6.

A new MA02 LA costs up to $25, so once you have the FM socket, there is a significant potential saving on new bulbs/LAs.

LOL, $32. The cost savings ain't the reason nowadays given most of these go for $50+. The reason for a strion kit these days, I assume, is strictly keeping your light operational. You gotta wonder how long Streamlight will keep making Strion bulbs...

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
True, but if you have one of these Strion kits you can stock up on bulbs on the cheap now for about $7-8 a piece and be set for a lifetime or longer.

I am going to test and see how the A2 runs on a 4.35v 16650 Sanyo cell. More of a curiosity than anything else. The new AW black and red RCR123 cells are too fat and too long to work in my A2 properly.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
True, but if you have one of these Strion kits you can stock up on bulbs on the cheap now for about $7-8 a piece and be set for a lifetime or longer.

I am going to test and see how the A2 runs on a 4.35v 16650 Sanyo cell. More of a curiosity than anything else. The new AW black and red RCR123 cells are too fat and too long to work in my A2 properly.

I am super interested in the results of a 16650 in your A2. Please report back when you've tried it.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure thing. I'll check tailcap currents and also do a runtime comparison of the 16650 vs 2x AW Red IMR 16340 cells until the "low mode" kicks in.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
LOL, $32. The cost savings ain't the reason nowadays given most of these go for $50+. The reason for a strion kit these days, I assume, is strictly keeping your light operational. You gotta wonder how long Streamlight will keep making Strion bulbs...

Streamlight is still making Strion incans. At least they late last year. I bought 2 with 015 serial numbers and redesigned tail caps.

Last edited:

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am super interested in the results of a 16650 in your A2. Please report back when you've tried it.

Does anyone know if the protected version of the KeepPower 16650 cell will comfortably fit inside the body tube of the A2?

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just popped in a 16650 tonight and the beam was anemic! Not half as bright as two CR123 cells.

ShineOn..., thank you for sharing that piece of news. I thought that maybe the 16650 was the answer to my A2 dreams. I'm still tempted to try it, since I have a Strion bulb adapter set-up.

Can I ask which particular 16650 you tried, whether it was protected or unprotected, whether it was a snug fit, and which bulb you were using? Thanks!

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I was a bit bummed as well. I thought it would be a good solution for a bit more runtime. The battery is the button top unprotected sanyo/panasonic 4.35v 16650 from Mtn Electronics. It is a pink/purplish color. It has a clear wrapper on top of the color one. With the clear wrapper on it wouldn't even fit. I pulled off the clear wrapper and it fit fine.

Cell was charged full up to 4.35 volts so I figured it would have enough voltage to push the PWM regulator which feeds the 4.0v to the bulb.

I was using a FM Strion adapter with a Strion bulb.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't waste your time trying. I just popped in a 16650 tonight and the beam was anemic! Not half as bright as two CR123 cells.

Yeah, I was a bit bummed as well. I thought it would be a good solution for a bit more runtime. The battery is the button top unprotected sanyo/panasonic 4.35v 16650 from Mtn Electronics. It is a pink/purplish color. It has a clear wrapper on top of the color one. With the clear wrapper on it wouldn't even fit. I pulled off the clear wrapper and it fit fine.

Cell was charged full up to 4.35 volts so I figured it would have enough voltage to push the PWM regulator which feeds the 4.0v to the bulb.

I was using a FM Strion adapter with a Strion bulb.

Thanks very much for the report. Unfortunate results...

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're killin me, Smalls! You guys are making me miss my A2. Sold it a few years ago, but it never failed me. Hiking, camping, and whatever else I threw at it, never missed a beat.

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
having used my normally-hidden-somewhere-in-some-desk-because-of-uselessness A2 (strion modded) for the last few days ...
(got aircondition reparied in car and the guys there told to "come back in some weeks so we can check if everything is OK" and something of "contrasting liquid used" ... and of course everyone of us has an UV-light :rolleyes:, in my case the led ring in the A2)
... I can only wonder ...
REALLY?
the main beam of the A2?
preferred to what?
To an actual led?
* that gives a flat uniform beam, instead of that ugly "shredded" one of the A2 (because of the led holes)?
* that gives a more powerful beam, instead of the even more energy hungry but considerably dimmer hotwire bulb?
* that offers several different - but all useful - output(s), when driver is set up accordingly?
really hard to believe.
;)

... if one does not have to luxury to purchase whatever light - dont mind if even this one - just because one wants/can do --> fine.
But when one for example really has to consider and then seriously has to save otherwise necessary money, for just that one --> reconsider!

Compare it with a classic car: yes, a dream (possibly) but a luxury hobby and uselessly in regard to gain for the money; for daily life use; for ...

Last edited:

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took a Surefire C2 and an A2 on a night hike awhile back. The C2 had a Malkoff M60 (old school with the optic). I stood in a field and shined it and the A2 out into the darkness and the bright white beam of the A2 was just as clear as the LED and gave superior color rendition, I could actually tell the difference in things I was looking at in the distance. Sure there's better choices right now if you can only have one light, but that's not the topic of this discussion.

Ahshan

Newly Enlightened
having used my normally-hidden-somewhere-in-some-desk-because-of-uselessness A2 (strion modded) for the last few days ...
(got aircondition reparied in car and the guys there told to "come back in some weeks so we can check if everything is OK" and something of "contrasting liquid used" ... and of course everyone of us has an UV-light :rolleyes:, in my case the led ring in the A2)
REALLY?
the main beam of the A2?
preferred to what?
To an actual led?
* that gives a flat uniform beam, instead of that ugly "shredded" one of the A2 (because of the led holes)?
* that gives a more powerful beam, instead of the even more energy hungry but considerably dimmer hotwire bulb?
* that offers several different - but all useful - output(s), when driver is set up accordingly?
really hard to believe.
;)

... if one does not have to luxury to purchase whatever light - dont mind if even this one - just because one wants/can do --> fine.
But when one for example really has to consider and then seriously has to save otherwise necessary money, for just that one --> reconsider!

Compare it with a classic car: yes, a dream (possibly) but a luxury hobby and uselessly in regard to gain for the money; for daily life use; for ...

I don't suppose you'd be willing to sell the strion mod to someone who could make good use of it... Would you? ( I mean, being that it is normally-hidden-somewhere-in-some-desk-because-of-uselessness)

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
snip

If all you care about is beam quality and output, the A2 ain't for you, bub.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
REALLY?
the main beam of the A2?
preferred to what?
To an actual led?
really hard to believe.
;)

Had to read that like 5 times to even begin to comprehend what was being said.

And in general the entire incan subforum centers around a technology of days gone by, so anybody reading anything in said subforum should understand that. It's a basic thing.

Posting negative comments about what was once a modern technology is puzzling. It makes about as much sense as complaining about the ride quality of a Model T.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Although it's not perfect, I find the beam quality of the MA02 (A2 lamp) surprisingly good, actually.

Can't remember right now which other SF lamp is super "football-shaped" ... but it's a lot better than that one, lol.

The stock (unfrosted) A2 triple LED beamshape, however, is not great :rolleyes:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although it's not perfect, I find the beam quality of the MA02 (A2 lamp) surprisingly good, actually.

Can't remember right now which other SF lamp is super "football-shaped" ... but it's a lot better than that one, lol.

The stock (unfrosted) A2 triple LED beamshape, however, is not great :rolleyes:

MN10?