Good old classic Surefire A2

balane

Newly Enlightened
I'm head over heals for my A2. It's my favorite light I own. I ordered a Tad Customs drop in for it which is currently sitting in California customs.

iRsJ1y2.jpg

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hope this is the right place to ask... I am getting a wee bit confused about the A2. I thought there were two incan versions, the first, original, non-crenellated 4-flats version, and the crenellated three flats version. But now I realize there must be at least four, or more, or at least the branding changed... because the A2 I have does not say "Digital Plus Series." I have also learned there is a black annodized version.

May I please have an authoritative post responding that describes all the incan A2 evar made, in order of market appearance (and the years of release would be sweet) and exactly what is different about the models (even if only cosmetic differences)? I can not find anything anywhere that is comprehensive about the different models, how many there were, what is different, etc. Thanks guys.

teak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Old post I started but....tad and his bi pin adaptors have breathed new life into the A2. Let's hope he continues to keep them available.

mcm308

Enlightened
Old post I started but....tad and his bi pin adaptors have breathed new life into the A2. Let's hope he continues to keep them available.
Yea, I'm ordering one with a bunch of bulbs. I have a LF bulb that is hit and miss...
A2 is my all time favorite. Never should of sold the 10 I had. Now trying to put the family back together!

mcm308

Enlightened
It seems the wind has been let out of the sails on the 4 flats. Value seems to be gone.

jellydonut

Enlightened
Surefire discontinued the bulb? Oh man, this is depressing news.

I've had nothing but good experience with my LF bulbs, but it's still sad that the OEM is not available any more.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Koala just confirmed that his rings would work with 5mm Yuji LEDs.

I wonder if anything would prevent from boring out the 3mm LED holes in the A2 reflector for 5mm LEDs so that Koala or Calipso rings with the Yuji LEDs could be installed?

The 3200K 95 CRI version would greatly complement the incand beam.

jellydonut

Enlightened
Drilling even bigger holes in a reflector which is already pretty small would not do the main beam any favors. Personally I would not be interested in compromising the quality of the incandescent beam any further for the sake of the secondary LEDs.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Drilling even bigger holes in a reflector which is already pretty small would not do the main beam any favors. Personally I would not be interested in compromising the quality of the incandescent beam any further for the sake of the secondary LEDs.

I just realized that the Koala and other rings use 5mm in the first place, and the holes in an A2 head are 5mm ready. So its time to get some Yuji LEDs

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just realized that the Koala and other rings use 5mm in the first place, and the holes in an A2 head are 5mm ready. So its time to get some Yuji LEDs

I have this configuration.
It works great. The warm-white Yujis are a perfect addition.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a bit of a voice of dissent on all the A2 praise. I do and always have liked the light, but I've been a bit of a skeptic of it as well. The biggest problem with the A2 is that it's just not very bright. An E2e with fresh batteries easily smokes it in output and color temperature. IMO there really should have been a three cell version with a lamp that operated at a higher voltage. That really would have been something.

I will say that I do like the two mode operation of this incan for when you don't really need that much light, and it's nice being able to use rechargeable lithium ions and primaries with the same bulb. And of course the soft start feature is great as well. The low incan mode is a nice warning that the batteries are nearly toasted.

Last edited:

jellydonut

Enlightened
A three-cell type would have been a good evolution, as would a development to take advantage of, for example, 123-sized IMR cells.

Still. It's the best around! It's got enough light for me.

teak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something I noticed with koalas onion ring is it changes the depth of the incan on tads bi pin adaptor. It gives the incan beam some dark spots. I moved the bulb around trying to tweak it out of it, but didn't have any luck. I didn't spend much time messing with it, so I don't if it changes up or down. One may be able to not seat the bulb all the way into the adaptor. However, that won't be the case If it is too tall. I will revisit it when I have more time. On a side note, does anyone have the yuji leds they would let go of?

Blackbird13

Enlightened
Yes the price on that MA02 went for $16.50, I bid at $16.. LOL I figured it would go for more, but to loose by 50 cents is just plain funny.

I have 2 other A2's. A 4 sided and 2 later models. For 3 total. All are on the original bulb, including the 4 sided one. Both have Koala rings, and none have bi pin adapters. I think its time for someone else to make a run of bi pin adapters. I believe they would sell out in no time.
I also am a huge fan of the aviator, what is a koala ring, thanks and have a blessed day