Good Plan for a newbie flashaholic?

flash_bang

Enlightened
I was thinking about what light(s) I should get next that would fit my needs and be the most unique from each other.

I already have a G2, so that would be my mid range light.
I was thinking about getting a TL-3, for my long range light.
I was also thinking about getting an E1L for my short range light.
but,
I was also thinking about getting a Glo-toob lithium (probably in red), so that could also be my short range light.

So basically, I was thinking if I could get two of those, which ones should I pick? I was thinking the E1L and glo-toob initially, but it's a lot easier to convince my parents to buy me a 50 dollar light that has amazing range rather than a dim light that has double the price tag.

Anywho, any comments or what?

thanks,
Flash

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm..... Pelican 7060 or D-mini for the long range light. Fenix LOD-CE or CR2 Ion for close range. Happy hunting.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Tl-3 is a good long range light, but you would also want to get 2xAW 17500's and a charger so you could have free lumans. Take it from me...I have put many 123a's through my old Tl-3 before joining this place and finding out about the wonderful world of rechargable lithium ion batteries.

No matter what, get the lights that you are interested in...not just what the rest of us "helpful" flashaholic's recomend. True, will always be brighter, more expensive and more exotic lights out there to buy, but that does not always make them better.

My biggest piece of advice though is to pick lights that have a rechargable option whenever you can. Trust me, I have spent over a grand on batteries in my lifetime. That would have bought a lot of cool lights.

Just my .02

Pax et Lux

Enlightened
I also am hugely into keeping lights unique, with every light filling a particular role. I am not a collector, or a hoarder (I don't need to have every Surefire, or 30+ lights).

Don't worry about convincing your parents of anything – I have to convince my wife, who believes every dollar spent on flashlights is a dollar less food going into the children's mouths. My feeling is that your parents won't care about the range of the light, they won't even understand the concept. They will balance the price versus how happy it would make you. So keep telling them how terrible Minimags are. . .

I'd muddy the waters by recommending something like an Inova X5 as a short-range light, but with your two choices presented I'd think the E1L offered more options.

faiz23

Newly Enlightened
a good plan for a flashaholic is to disconnect their internet service and never again check CPF watch your bank account start to grow. But if you are addicted like me then i would build you a nice thrower. I just got into the lights and in the last month for my personal collection i have a lumapower m3 transformer with turbo head for throw and a second light module to make 2 lights out of one, i have a jetbeam mkIIx on the way and a cle v1.2. so i have the mini light as cle v1.2, my jetbeam has the 14500 tube and a cr123 tube, and transformer has many options. what i am lacking is a thrower i was looking at MRV and Diablo and the MRV is 78 shipped from dealextreme but no warranty on it. i have decided to built my next custom light is pieces which i am still customizing but it will be a maglight body cut down to a c cell lion with a 52mm aspheric lens and a kiu bezel, along with modamag switch. I am gonna use a downboy converter so i can feed the light, 1 or 2 lion c cell or 1 or 2 18650, i will buy 2 tubes one for c cell to 18650 and another for 2 18650 with adapters for 2 lion c cell. This will become my thrower lights but i will take 3-4 months to get it completed. what i am trying to say decide if you want to create a custom light in pieces or do you want to buy a ready built. Nice thing with making one is for the next 3-4 months i am not buying any other lights except putting money toward this one. you have to decide but i am buying the switch for the light this week, and then the bezel, and then send payment to the RcatR who is building it for me. so you can do it in 50 dollar increments. read up some info in the custom and modified lights search the word "aspheric" and see the info. it might be too expensive right now but keep it in mind. here is some picture of cryhavocs lights and he has made two aspheric light and this light he made gave me the motivation to get one for me too. i have attached a last picture of a light RcatR made and i love the design on it, by the way these light keep up with hid in performance at a lower cost and can throw 300-400 meter easily. Cryhavoc said he got about 478 meter with a dim reflection. it is an amazing creation but you decide what makes you happy.

kui.jpg

kui2.jpg

kui3.jpg

pewter.jpg

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I think you would get much more use out of the E1L and the Glow tube because it's small enough to make a really good EDC light. I think it has a good combination of brightness and runtime.