Got a SCANPRO30 scanner set up today... 56K warning, I got BIG pictures...

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
Re: Got a SCANPRO30 scanner set up today...

That's because it uses the sound card on the amiga correct? It only have a left and right channel, hence only x and y output... :grin2:

ajohnson

Newly Enlightened

Dang your's arrive fast apparently. I ordered the scanpro40 10 days ago and haven't heard a peep.

I've been trying to etch my own DAC board but haven't been happy with the results so far (can't plate through very well). I've since found a fabriction site that I couldv'e designed my own board by using their software and gotten 3 boards for about 50 bucks, which is much less than I've sunk into my etching stuff. :ohgeez:

allthatwhichis

Enlightened

The seller(s) of the SCANPRO hang around on another site. There seems to be two of them aijii and dave. The screen name on eBay is aijii. dave answers my questions very fast on the other site. If you want PM me and I'll give you the site if it's not above... Did you opt for the expidited shipping?

I have no idea about electronics so I bought a homemade DAC from an aussie but it still hasn't gotten here. Should be here by Wednesday or Thursday... :sweat: What site did you use to design your board? That will only get you bare boards correct? You still need the components and to solder them on?

ajohnson

Newly Enlightened

I use pcb123 to design the boards I made myself, but as I said I'm not happy with the results. Now I'm looking at Express PCB (www.expresspcb.com) but I haven't run their software yet to see how easy/hard it will be to put the schematic in. I purchased the parts for a few of the boards (I assumed I'd mess something up) from various on-line suppliers.

I did email dave and he promptly replied that he's having a supply issue but expects to ship by early next week. I've asked him what he thinks of the DAC I'm making, so we'll see about that.

allthatwhichis

Enlightened

The DAC I am getting is "handmade" for a free software called popelscan. You may have heard of it. I think it's the only free one out there. I could be wrong. :huh2: Here's a link to the schimatic on another forum... It's all greek to me... :stupid: I plan to upload a picture or two of the finished product that I was sent. I'll post them when I'm done. :grin2: You may beable to make one of these. I may try to reverse engineer it once I get it. It only cose me $175 shipped from down unda. It's parrell port though. I hear the USB is A LOT faster and smoother. But then, between the DAC and software your talking about $750 to a G... before scanners and lasers, or after, depends on how you look at it. :lolsign:

Either way, I have spent WAY TOO MUCH on this project... hence the FS thread I opened... I assume you ALL have looked at it... If not... :candle: Here is a link... :bumpit:

dave has been fairly helpful, to a point, I haven't been able to hook it up so my questions have been limited, for now. Once I get the DAC however... he may be in for a chore... :whistle:

allthatwhichis

Enlightened

Here are two pics of the DAC...

:wow: they're a lot bigger than I thought... Here's some thumbnails... :grin2:

dr_lava

Enlightened

Thanks for the pics and update: I've been wanting a scanner like this for a while now. If that board cost $175, I should go into business! There's probably $20 into that board. :) Good luck with the sales, and I look forward to First Paint with this system!

allthatwhichis

Enlightened

dr_lava said:
Thanks for the pics and update: I've been wanting a scanner like this for a while now. If that board cost $175, I should go into business! There's probably $20 into that board. :) Good luck with the sales, and I look forward to First Paint with this system!

What sales... I bought that one... That is also with shipping from Australia. I'm sure it's REALLY cheap to make, IF you know how. I hope to know how after I get this one. $175 for a DAC and to learn after I re-engineer it... :grin2: It's that scanners that cost... and software, well not popelscan, but the good ones... and there is the lasers... :broke: :oops: I need some optics also... I hear there as cheap as the lasers, or relative to them at least... :ohgeez:

O, this isn't an update, I still dont' have the DAC... Should be here tomorrow. these pics the seller sent me...

Last edited:

jtice

Flashaholic

That is a really nice setup you have there, hope you can get it running soon.

Mine came pre-assembled, since I bought it used, and what wires I did need to hookup there was a diagram.
Good thing, cuz it was all way over my head also.

I use Polescan with my setup,
its not a bad program, takes some getting used to, but its fun once you know it.

~John

ajohnson

Newly Enlightened

Well, I ordered circuit boards to make the DAC which is in the second post of the forum you linked to. Hopefully I translated the schematic to PCB Layout properly :p

allthatwhichis

Enlightened

ajohnson said:
Well, I ordered circuit boards to make the DAC which is in the second post of the forum you linked to. Hopefully I translated the schematic to PCB Layout properly :p

Cool! I expect a good set of instructions and a where to buy guide for when I have to make my own... Mine still hasn't arrived yet... :ironic: Did you get your scanners in yet?

ajohnson

Newly Enlightened

Nope. Dave said sometime next week hopefully.

allthatwhichis

Enlightened

That sucks... dave seems to be a good guy. Should lean on him to overnight it when it becomes available... :grin2:

You wouldn't happen to have a parts list for that board would ya? I'm getting impatient for mine to arrive... :ironic: I asked for a tracking number a few days ago but no reply... :awman:

ajohnson

Newly Enlightened

Well, I don't really want to tell you what's on the board until I know it works. I did receive them a couple days ago but I've been hammered at work so I probably won't be able to mount the components and test it until tomorow, assuming my wife doesn't give me a bunch of thanksgiving related jobs. If all goes well I'll post all the info including the board layout files. I'm kind of surprised no one else has done that over on photonlexicon and that worries me.

allthatwhichis

Enlightened

It's probably because no one still uses this... They all have USB DACs I think. I'm usually a few months/years behind the times anyway... :oops:

I'm very interested in your work... My DAC still hasn't arrived. The seller said there was a few hollidays going on and it may have gotten caught up in the mail because of them... :huh2: :awman: I'm bout ready to try to make my own. but... :stupid:

On a side note... my red diode died... somehow... :thinking: It was going bright, I unplugged it to move it and when I plugged it in it was about 100xs dimmer... Nothing I did helped. :mecry: I'm deciding if I want to wait for the diode group buy and try to utilzed the driver board from this laser or get a maxyModule off eBay. I opened a dvd rom that wouldn't spin last night and got the diode to "lase" from the driver board, I just couldn't remove the diode from the housing of the dvd rom... :thumbsdow So the board works... And the diodes are cheap, but a maxyModule is TTL and or Analogue... but over $200... :broke:

ajohnson

Newly Enlightened

Did you get your DAC board? I received my scanners but haven't tried them yet. I had 3 circuit boards made for my DAC (a package deal) which I was ok with because I was sure I'd probably screw one up. Sure enough, I did, but my 2nd one seems to be working properly after I corrected some errors I made in the board layout. At least, it seems to produce consistant voltages in the range of ±5v on the X and Y outputs when I draw a box in Popelscan. I hooked it to a catweazle unit I got off ebay and that scanner seems to still have issues with it's Y mirror. The person I got it from said it worked but would blow a fuse. I can't seem to get consistant results out of it so I'm not sure. I do have a replacement mirror so that may fix it.

As far as the SCANPRO units, it looks like there may be a couple issues with the output that a DAC0832 board produces (±5v on one pin relative to ground). The scanners appear to want separate + & - signals. Dave pointed me at some docs that say to just ground the signal- line and hook the driver output to signal+, but I'm worried what might happen when my DAC puts -5v into the signal+. I can change my voltages to just go from 0 to 5v but I'm not sure I want to do that either. I sent Dave an email about it so hopefully he understands all this.

I re-did the circuit board layout and am having new ones made. If this new set works properly I'll let you know.

allthatwhichis

Enlightened

I got my dac a few days ago but haven't done anything spectacular. I was going to make a full report when I got a good video goin. I need to get my firewire cable back for that. :awman: I'll try to get something here tonight when I'm at work. :grin2: also I seemed to have killed not onlu my 40mW red but my 100mE green also. :oops: :stupid: :lolsign: I'm looking for a smaller 30mW green and a 150 to 200mW red so I can get this projector to rgb/cym/W... :sweat: :rock: Then I can REALLY make a good post. I'm waiting on an email about the lasers. i also need to get some optics to combine the colors. Are you going RGB or just one color. I'm only using blue at the moment. Blue is cool and all, but one color is kinda boring after a while. :huh2:

O, I;m no help with the functionality of the dacs and stuff. I will answer any questions about what it look like or what i think it might be doing but I'm less that a novice when it comes to electricity. :grin2:

The x/y hookup on mine has the (-) negative inputs combined and hooked to one connector and the (+) positive inputs each have their own connector. :candle:

allthatwhichis

Enlightened

Finally got a few clips. They're cheapies from my camera. My co-worker seems to have lost my DV cable... :ohgeez: I took some good ones in DV but have to wait to upload them. These have no sound and are of poor quality, but since I harrass anyone and everyone for movies, how can I not provide a few myself. :popcorn: Enjoy... :grin2:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3340392457709117130

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7408463094289360918

Need to switch connections... The ds3 on my work PC'll get these up much quicker...

MUCH quicker...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4715645041061053950&hl=en

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8549930848096937692&hl=en

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2886279242386400229&hl=en

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1385100530331542953&hl=en

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4930359030995609185

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4626233351744300093

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8439877834193273332

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7540892017451447569

Last edited:

YAG

Newly Enlightened

:goodjob: