Got my L4 and I understood between LED and incandescent...

rollee

Newly Enlightened
Beam pattern, flood, throw and spot between LED (white) and incandescent (tungsten) flashlights.
It is not possible to fully understand simply what a bright flashlight is all about until I started to play and live with them.
The decision is really to each's own preference.
I like to share my thoughts.

From the beginning, I always thought the Surefire P6 is out of this world great.
I love it being really bright, eg. in a dark residential street I can make out the house numbers from inside my car as I drive by, or to light up the insides of a parked car from ~15 feet away.
The narrow beam, which makes the light resemble a spot light source; seeing a 'light line' shooting from the P6 is very very cool.

Then came LED flashlights, which I was hesitant. The earlier models all seem rather dim or somewhat bright but only reaching from my arm to the floor. I figured it is the white light of an LED lacks...throw, because the beam pattern is more 'flood' and 'short' reaching.
Then I learned of the Fenix P1 3w luxeon, I was blown away. It has good usable throw and a very narrow 'tight' beam, suddenly my eyes opened. I immediately see the difference between a 'white' light to the tungsten. I like it!
I immediately ordered a L4 Surefire. Its beam patteren is very nice and wide, its floodiness makes it very usable. I don't find the 'donut' bothered me (it makes no difference in practical usage).

After some testing around the neighbourhood tonight, I find myself missing that shooting 'light line' my P6 threw.
The wider flood of the L4, though still lit up those house numbers does seem weak (looks grey) compared to the concentrated beam of the P6. I like how the L4 lit up the walkway in front of the house comfortably while that area seems hidden under the strong narrow beam of the P6.

My next test involves an upgrade to my P6 with the super P61 bulb. I got a dream light! Beautiful penetration, nice and wide beam pattern and my 'light line', but I miss the whiteness of the LED. Its run time also became a concern.

My next will be the U2, which some people here claims to have better throw than the L4, although the bulbs (on paper) are rated equal, or if in fact they are the same? How come the U2 is brighter, or should i say better throw? Might it be because of a different head or reflector design...
I shall post my findings soon.

In conclusion, I thought both LED and incandescent powerlights are wonderful. Within 15 feet / 4m, there is no preference.
LED is more suited for indoors, like exploring a haunted house somewhere deep.
Incandescent is better outdoors. The tungsten light travels further, either because my P6 has a more concentrated beam, or the 'yellowish' nature of the light brings out dark objects under a night sky better? I also take into account that most street lights, parking lot lighting to be somewhat greyish white. Thus giving the tungsten a better visible path.
The most apparent benefit however, can be seen while walking in a foggy environment, tungsten clearly cuts through like a scalpel.

Last edited:

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
For incandescent, get the Streamlight TL-3, it got more throw than the P61 bulb.
For the LED flashlights, the SF L4 is flood only, the U2, L5, L6 got more throw than the L4 but still Lux V is for area light, if you want throw on led lights, get something with the Lux 3.

rollee

Newly Enlightened
umm a lux III for throw, who would have thought...

I use SureFire as an example becuse I am used to them, it helps me understand the 'brightness lingo'. This enables me to choosing exactly what I need, and a better idea on the discussions here. I am still learning.:candle:

I'll look into this 'Elektro Lumens' thing.
:popcorn:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
rollee said:
Beam pattern, flood, throw and spot between LED (white) and incandescent (tungsten) flashlights.
It is not possible to fully understand simply what a bright flashlight is all about until I started to play and live with them.
The decision is really to each's own preference.
I like to share my thoughts.

From the beginning, I always thought the Surefire P6 is out of this world great.
I love it being really bright, eg. in a dark residential street I can make out the house numbers from inside my car as I drive by, or to light up the insides of a parked car from ~15 feet away.
The narrow beam, which makes the light resemble a spot light source; seeing a 'light line' shooting from the P6 is very very cool.

Then came LED flashlights, which I was hesitant. The earlier models all seem rather dim or somewhat bright but only reaching from my arm to the floor. I figured it is the white light of an LED lacks...throw, because the beam pattern is more 'flood' and 'short' reaching.
Then I learned of the Fenix P1 3w luxeon, I was blown away. It has good usable throw and a very narrow 'tight' beam, suddenly my eyes opened. I immediately see the difference between a 'white' light to the tungsten. I like it!
I immediately ordered a L4 Surefire. Its beam patteren is very nice and wide, its floodiness makes it very usable. I don't find the 'donut' bothered me (it makes no difference in practical usage).

After some testing around the neighbourhood tonight, I find myself missing that shooting 'light line' my P6 threw.
The wider flood of the L4, though still lit up those house numbers does seem weak (looks grey) compared to the concentrated beam of the P6. I like how the L4 lit up the walkway in front of the house comfortably while that area seems hidden under the strong narrow beam of the P6.

My next test involves an upgrade to my P6 with the super P61 bulb. I got a dream light! Beautiful penetration, nice and wide beam pattern and my 'light line', but I miss the whiteness of the LED. Its run time also became a concern.

My next will be the U2, which some people here claims to have better throw than the L4, although the bulbs (on paper) are rated equal, or if in fact they are the same? How come the U2 is brighter, or should i say better throw? Might it be because of a different head or reflector design...

In conclusion, I thought both LED and incandescent powerlights are wonderful. Within 15 feet / 4m, there is no preference.
LED is more suited for indoors, like exploring a haunted house somewhere deep.
Incandescent is better outdoors. The tungsten light travels further, either because my P6 has a more concentrated beam, or the 'yellowish' nature of the light brings out dark objects under a night sky better? I also take into account that most street lights, parking lot lighting to be somewhat greyish white. Thus giving the tungsten a better visible path.
The most apparent benefit however, can be seen while walking in a foggy environment, tungsten clearly cuts through like a scalpel.
For what are you describing above, I think you definitely want a HID light. You'll get that perfectly cool white tint, montruous brightness and throw. Plus it has pretty flat regulation due the the ballast. A good HID will give you around 1:50 hours of flat output and you don't need to sell your house in order to feed it.

Check out the Microfire Warrior K500R Rechargeable HID

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/microfire_k500r.htm

X Racer

Enlightened
The L4 is great for area lighting, but definitely does not throw well, nothing like a 6P. However, the L5 and L6 throw well and have a lot of flood.

If throw is your thing though, I'd definitely look at the McLuxIII HD45 or the 27LT. Both of these throw fantastic and are very bright... I think the 27LT is awesome as an all around light.

Luna

Enlightened
rollee said:

In addition to the larger reflector, the u2 is also driven harder based on my current measurements vs those of the L4 coming from other CPF members. I just have no reason to open up my L4.

Yes the U2 throws more than the L4 but I still think we are more O/C about throw than the reality presents. I find the all of my LuxV lights to have the same basic useful range(IMHO, 5-20yds variance isn't what I would consider that much of a gain in throw.)

ms1496

Newly Enlightened
The reflectors have different efficiencies which amount to the majority of brightness differences and overall perceptible intensities. The L4 has a relatively small reflector, than that of the L5. Plus like mentioned before the U2 drives the led a wee bit harder.
grinser2.gif