Greenie Heals Cuts...Say what?

npkeith

Newly Enlightened
I was browsing the Wicked website, and there was something on there about using 55mW and above lasers to "heal open cuts" (with "doctor's permission"). I assume that this is more accurately "Cauterize open cuts." Red is the opposite of green, so blood must absorb most of the energy from the laser and heat up. That would stop the bleeding, but not close the wound.

Working in the healthcare field, I remember something about using argon (blue-green) lasers to cauterize liver lacerations (which bleed like a mother...)
Has anyone actually tried this, and how much cursing was involved?
-Keith

nero_design

Enlightened
It's generally advised to avoid skin exposure to higher outputs of laser light when using Class 3B and Class 4 lasers. This is stated on numerous Government safety sheets.

But I will add that I used a <95mW 532nm WL (any laser of similar wavelength and output will probably do) to stop a sizeable hemorrhaging area under the skin from continuing to bleed after I ruptured a small blood vessel by accident. Since darker colors and reds tend to absorb the green wavelength laser light, the effect was immediate, but considerably painful. I DO NOT recommend it. External tissue damage resulted in slight blistering and took about a week to heal. Did the same with a 300mW Spyder too. Now THAT was a painful experience.

There's obviously a plethora of medicinal uses for lasers but if you don't know what you're doing, then you really shouldn't do it. This is one of those self-regulated issues where caution is advised... and a pair of safety glasses is also essential.

Flashlight Enthusiast
It really is cauterizing the wound the same way that a laser can melt plastic tape or pop a balloon light a match, it can heat your skin, burning you and sealing the wound. It doesn't really clot the blood.

zerogx2000

Newly Enlightened
If anything it'll cut your skin, i love standing behind someone with my 95mw laser and holding it up to their neck IT NEVER GETS BORING!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
There is a medical application (using it for closing wounds instead of sutures) for superglue - cyanoacrylate - and there seems to be little concern over the chemical migrating to the bloodstream.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
If anything it'll cut your skin, i love standing behind someone with my 95mw laser and holding it up to their neck IT NEVER GETS BORING!

Please go read the sticky about damaged eyes and so not repeat such silly things here on CPF again.
Thank you.
bernhard

stephenmadpotato

Enlightened
Yeah man, dont even use the damn thing without everyone around you in protective glasses. But I just tried this with a friends 60mw laser. I cut a small gash with a pair of scissors on the top of my finger, shined the laser at it and it seemed to clot the blood, or it might have just burned the blood. Or maybe it was my imagination :D